Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
OMFG! Obamassiah! Pirates! Is this making anybody else mad? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:55 pm
Freak_090
Thermite may just melt the sand into glass which after enough glassing just stop the thermite?

What the ships really need are LRADs
The problem is that thermite self oxidizes. Cutting off the oxygen supply won't do much since it will just produce it's own oxygen. It's burning temp seems much hotter than the ignition temp so I doubt the sand really cools it enough.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:23 pm
Freak_090
Thermite may just melt the sand into glass which after enough glassing just stop the thermite?

Three points:

Thermite can burn in a total vacuum.

The LRAD is non-lethal. Does not want.

Kevlar stops being bulletproof if it gets wet.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:28 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:50 am
Fresnel
Freak_090

Three points:

Wow, that's... good to know.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:42 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
Freak_090

Three points:

Yeah, AFAIK every bulletproof material becomes useless when wet, and only half of them are useful again after they dry.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:51 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
Freak_090

Three points:

Yeah, AFAIK every bulletproof material becomes useless when wet, and only half of them are useful again after they dry.

I'm pretty sure steel works when wet lol  

war_junky 91

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:59 pm
war_junky 91
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
Freak_090

Three points:

Not if it's wet long enough.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:36 pm
So Fres since you're so knowledgeable of this s**t I have another thermite question. In my guitar class today someone mentioned thermite can be extinguished. Supposedly spraying it with a dry chem fire extinguisher then covering it with a wet towel and stomping it down can cool the thermite enough to put it out. This sounds like BS to me, but I thought I should inquire anyway.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

war_junky 91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:00 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
So Fres since you're so knowledgeable of this s**t I have another thermite question. In my guitar class today someone mentioned thermite can be extinguished. Supposedly spraying it with a dry chem fire extinguisher then covering it with a wet towel and stomping it down can cool the thermite enough to put it out. This sounds like BS to me, but I thought I should inquire anyway.

Dry chem extinquisher works by smothering it due to lack of oxygen, but since thermite can burn on its own this would accomplish no more than burning dry chemical, a towel and someone's foot.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:02 pm
Fresnel
war_junky 91
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
Freak_090

Three points:

Not if it's wet long enough.

If it has protective paint on it that can be quite a long time.  

war_junky 91

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:04 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
There's a video on YouTube of a lump of thermite burning through a bucket of liquid nitrogen. I don't think stomping on it would put it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95KIPNUWhrA  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:39 pm
Fresnel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
There's a video on YouTube of a lump of thermite burning through a bucket of liquid nitrogen. I don't think stomping on it would put it out.

Yeah]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95KIPNUWhrA
Yeah I forgot about that video. He actually offered to let me come to his house and watch him prove it works. This could prove to be a darwin award in the making. biggrin  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

war_junky 91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:54 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel
Desert_Fox_Rommel

Yeah I forgot about that video. He actually offered to let me come to his house and watch him prove it works. This could prove to be a darwin award in the making. biggrin
Do it, record it.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:16 pm
war_junky 91
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel
Desert_Fox_Rommel

Do it, record it. Record it, don't take your eyes off the viewfinder. UV doesn't transfer through an LCD screen, but if you watch the thermite directly it can scar your retina. It was slightly painful to me even through UV tinted glass and a pair of UV tinted sunglasses.

Yeah, totally darwin award it. It's always bonus points to get the stupidity on film.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:27 pm
I've heard the brightness compared to that of welding. If I could get a good digital recorder I would mount it on a tripod to film it then turn my back. I would be too tempted to look with the naked eye and my stupidity will get the better of me.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff