Submit

Are we becoming a junior America?
  Yes
  No
View Results

thegreatvincenzo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:40 am
DNA_Guru

Okay, on that reasoning we should be as much British, French, Dutch, Swedish, Italian, Greek, Canadian, German, etc as we are American. They are all 'western' nations, why isn't our influence being gained from them.
What do you refer to by culture stuff? Australia is reknowned for it's multiculturalism so why is that we are somehow being conformed to an American culture?
In Melbourne, there are more Greeks than any other city other than Athens, why is it then we do not so much have their influence?
I really think Television is a poor excuse for arguing a culture shift, there has to be more than that. I'm sorry but Television only just doesn't cut it.

FIlm almost all of the popculture generated for a mainstream english audience comes form the east coast of America, Aussie filoms haven't really been given the reward they deserve untill reacently, did anyone hear about 'Birthday boy'?. and yes we are multicultural, I agree that is why i don't fully view this country of ours as Americana now with more relaxation, but the seaping of Ideals, products, Rolemodels and methods are starting to borrow heavily from The great new world, Spelling.

The greeks don't shout their influence as loudly with media saturation, eg Germany has ALOT of Turkish workers however the only obviouse change to their culture has been Kabbab shops showing up in smalltowns as Starbucks' show it in picadilly Square alone (sometimes asmany a 3 to a single Block). some of our pulp magazines are renames of others, or strait imports of which only one or two come from Brittan. If you yell that you can do something the loudest then everyone will think of you when they need it done, the greeks don't force their culture on us asmuch as America can becouse they has the means to do it.
If you learn english, in most countrys it is almost enforced as trhe first foreighn language that they learn from 1st grade you eather learn form a Brittish language course or an American Language course, mostly the later seems to be spread further, as such it unevoidably indoctrinates traices of that culture into the students, like having a North or south Korean course, this is mainly shown in the accents the stundents will have after learning with it for some time.

In my oppinion wich i know was lost in that shpeal is that we are Australia, an Identity that can and will roll with teh punches throuwn at it from the global village, but it seems to me that most of those punches that are thrown have an Americanizing after affect, and that is the change. Yes we have French Pattiseries, Chinese Yum Cha, Brittish desighned pubs (not all have gone for the soul-less stainless steal look) and verging on Korean LAN centres, but this is but a part of our australian identity that is suplimented with American stems, not entirly but it's imput seems larger then that of the other cultures, because even though we are of English origan, we have shed or dimmed alot of the ideas and mannerisms that we had when we first landed, manners (wich we are all starting to lose), love of the queen (some of us want to be a rebublic), and the accent. We are no longer truely brittan and as such we are lookingh around for a new modle to build ourselves to and thus we found america, becouse it barked the loudest, but we are incorporating all of those British, French, Dutch, Swedish, Italian, Greek, Canadian, German, etc ideas and people with it. Australia is a seperate country but it has to has similarities with other countrys and not everyone is going to wanna have a Barbique with Beer, some want a Cosmopolitan in a stainless steal and neon bar.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:13 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

EmWah
Crew

Demonic_Angel_89

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:21 pm
exactly as much as try/ transform into america we will never be them because we are aussies all the way for ever and a day

we just need to remember aussies r aussies united we stand young and old  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:44 am
EmWah
Hmmn, after reading that last post, a little thought occurred to me. Most of the people in this guild live in the capital cities. Chrissie and I are the only people I can think of that live in a semi rural area. It appears to me that the Americanisation experienced here perhaps hasn't gone as far as it has in the big cities. Yeah we get the same TV, we still have Mc Donalds and all the rest... but at the same time we are constantly being reminded that we are Australian. Part of it is the land scape I guess. Like you can't go far without driving though forests, bushland or farmland. There's roos on the road at night and just animals everywhere. Also, half the ads on tv are directed towards farmer/bumpkin types. There's all these events like the Deni Ute Muster or the Henty Field days, things that I think are uniquely Australian.

So maybe if you guys are feeling somewhat overwhelmed by all the Americanisation going on, you can take a drive out here and be reminded that Australia is still out there.

That's a point.

Whenever, as a family, we go and visit someone on my fathers side (they all seemed the shun the city) the ads are completely different. The most shocking, and to me, also amusing of them, is when they advertise holidays in Melbourne... I live in Melbourne... it's not that great. If you can save enough money, please, go somewhere else. sweatdrop

I remember once moremans came to my house to try and preach my *shudders* organised religion. I kindly told them I wasn't interested, but it was one of those killer 40 degree days, so they asked for water. I invited them in, but left them at the door all the same. When I got back, the other of the two was telling me how he was from Iowa, here for three months. He then asked me how long I'd been here. I didn't understand, and said 6 years, as in the house we were living in. It dawned on me later that he might've thought I wasn't actually from Australia, but from somewhere else. I shockingly assumed the USA, untill a narssacisitc friend instead bolstered the idea that he may have thought I was from England, given my superior, upper-Australian accent he assured me I would appear to have, given the local riff-raff. xd

Wow, that was a long annecdote. Consume at own risk. razz  

WellzY
Crew

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:51 am
People are to impressionistic about other countries, especially America. Now I'm in no particular mood to argue, but what happens happens. People may not like it, but if American economic dominance continues we will become an unoffical American territory.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:47 pm
DNA_Guru
People are to impressionistic about other countries, especially America. Now I'm in no particular mood to argue, but what happens happens. People may not like it, but if American economic dominance continues we will become an unoffical American territory.

Yes, but that's no fun. Complainig gives me something to do, and America is the easiest punching-bag.  

WellzY
Crew

Pups4Luv

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:24 pm
I think John Howard wants to create a strong link with America because it's so powerful and stuff.

Its funny how we know so much about their country and they don't even know where Sydney is!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:34 am
Pups4Luv
I think John Howard wants to create a strong link with America because it's so powerful and stuff.

Its funny how we know so much about their country and they don't even know where Sydney is!

They don't even know where our capital is. They just assume it's in the middle somewhere, because they also know nothing about our geography, but why would they? Who cares about Australia? All we do is copy America. rolleyes  

WellzY
Crew

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:39 am
Pups4Luv

That's maybe so, but the smarter idea would be to get on good terms with China. Get the one's that are growing not the one's becoming stagnant.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:17 pm
I agree, the Chinese have long memories when it comes to politics.

Get on thier good side now before we need to.  

Ozumou

GrandmasterCheese

5,100 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:29 am
australia is already nearly just another american state  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:23 pm
We don't get the advantages of having the Yanks do anything for us though, if we are the 51/2nd state ( I loose count)
We can't vote for their Senate so we don't get much.  

Ozumou

Phantom-Deks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:07 am
wow. so many long comments.
i think we are becoming- or have already become- a small america. after all our Prime Minister is kissing President Bushs arse.
we wish we didn't and its not really us as a whole that are but its him. and with that comes the major companies- who hunger money. we get fed what they can buy and they get it from america. America is the center. the center of what- god only knows.
its a shame. for a while there- we were on a good road.
but- whether we like it or not- all great empires fall.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:18 am
People, particularly kids, are absorbing the culture without looking at our true Aussie heratige, it isn't going around acting like an African American or eating unhealthy ammounts of cheese burgers and drinking soft drink or for you Americans SODA! People are losing their national identity because of the crap being pumped into the country by greedy assed corporates in America trying to turn a quick buck. There is more to the argument but I can not be bothered typing, Laziness part of Australian culture!  

Ash_lus

The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces