Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
Recommended Reading Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lance Kibagari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:38 am
I'd like to toss in a few of my favorites for beginners with Heathen leanings:

Everyman Edda by Snorri Sturluson (trans. by Anthony Faulkes).

In terms of translations of the Prose Edda, Faulkes' is still considered one of the best, and is the one I'd recommend first and foremost.

Gods and Myths of Northern Europe by H. R. Ellis Davidson.

Davidson was a very prolific author who focused on anthropological and archaeological evidence and theorized from there. This particular book contains a lot of information known to most Heathens (and perhaps some lesser-known nuggets) but is something I suggest for those new to the faith and looking for somewhere to start. She provides a lot of information on the various gods and goddesses, takes a look at many of the relevant myths from Snorri's Edda, and even dips into the cosmology and other concepts. A fantastic book with a relatively cheap price. I recommend that any serious student snatch up as many of her relevant works as possible.

The Poetic Edda by Carolyne Larrington.

There are a number of Elder Edda translations available; some are focused on the poetry itself, and others are focused on the meaning behind the poetry. This particular translation is in the latter camp. While the poetry itself is beautiful, it is, I believe, far more important to understand the meaning behind it first. After that is achieved, one may look at some of the more pretty translations. As this is one of our source texts, it's a must-have.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:18 am
You know it's funny, I've heard Larrington is one of the less accurate translations; she's easier to read but compromises accuracy. Hollander's generally recommended as the best and most accurate, and he tries to emulate Norse poetry forms too.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Lance Kibagari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:07 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
You know it's funny, I've heard Larrington is one of the less accurate translations; she's easier to read but compromises accuracy. Hollander's generally recommended as the best and most accurate, and he tries to emulate Norse poetry forms too.

Strangely, I've had Hollander recommended for his emulation of the Norse poetry forms, but warned that he sacrifices accuracy for it. Meanwhile, I have heard some of the same things as you regarding Larrington, but I've yet to see a convincing enough arguments against either author to sway me.
I'm of the mind that most translations have their merits, unless one learns Old Icelandic and reads the Eddas in their original form. Since most of us won't be doing that, having multiple translations on hand isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I do recommend both Hollander and Larrington (and Bellows because it's free and not awful), but I had Larrington nearby at the time and that may have influenced my inclusion of her but not Hollander.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:04 pm
I've read some Larrington myself and I don't like her. I found her unpleasant and awkward to read.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:18 pm
A book I've been reading recently has been rather useful and informative.

"The Sacred Round" by Elen Hawke.

A question, I have "Inside a Witches Coven" by Edain McCoy. Why exactly isn't she recommended? I'd just like to know before I start reading it. I've already put down a book because of its...sillyness. I don't want to do that again >.<  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:41 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
A question, I have "Inside a Witches Coven" by Edain McCoy. Why exactly isn't she recommended? I'd just like to know before I start reading it. I've already put down a book because of its...sillyness. I don't want to do that again >.<

She's been known to blatantly lie and be disrespectful to other cultures in some of her other books, which makes it easier to just avoid her like the plague, rather than try to sort out the good from the bad.

Here's a review of one of her other books, which might be helpful as well.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:11 pm
too2sweet
Azareas Aquarinus

She's been known to blatantly lie and be disrespectful to other cultures in some of her other books, which makes it easier to just avoid her like the plague, rather than try to sort out the good from the bad.

Here's a review of one of her other books, which might be helpful as well.

Ahhh I see. I can totally understand why you'd avoid her work.

Thank you!  
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games