Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
The "Why Do..." / "How Come..." Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:30 pm
How come they're starting to use paypal and credit cards more often for pre-registering at cons?

I know it's an alternative if you don't want to print out the sheet and mail it, but lately I can't find the link to print out the registration form. I don't have a paypal account and I don't have a credit card. (Couldn't pre-register for A&G)  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 am
If you mean as opposed to sending a cheque it's simply for turn over time. It varies for some cons but most will collect cheques once a week, it then takes around a week to 10 days for them to process them all, pay them in and wait for it to all clear. With online payment it's a lot faster as mailing and processing time is cut out.
Obviously it does cause problems for people without a usable card but it's a good move for cons to make really.

I know a couple of my friends couldn't go to a con last year because they couldn't send in a cheque (we only have pre-reg here, no one the day places) but the con still filled up despite some people not going. It's a shame but the majority of people can pay online nowadays so it's not something that's going to stop any time soon. I'm seeing more and more cons fully refusing to accept anything but online payment now.  

Sephiroths samurai girl

PandaTeddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:22 am
((Don't know if this was asked already or not, but...))
Why do some people want to wear 10 different costumes to one convention?
I completely understand wanting to wear multiple costumes to one convention and bringing three to a 3-day con doesn't sound crazy to me either - you just wear a different one each day, but why bring more than that? Do they really want to keep changing costumes throughout the days?
Just curious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:37 am
PandaTeddy
((Don't know if this was asked already or not, but...))
Why do some people want to wear 10 different costumes to one convention?
I completely understand wanting to wear multiple costumes to one convention and bringing three to a 3-day con doesn't sound crazy to me either - you just wear a different one each day, but why bring more than that? Do they really want to keep changing costumes throughout the days?
Just curious.

I know! How do they have money for all of those anyway...
But if you think about it. Most come with 3 costumes. Then a formal wear costume for the Ball, a raver costume for the Rave, a costume for the cosplay fashion show, and then a costume for the cosplay contest. Thats seven costumes right there! Some people even go so for as making a costume especially for the Human Chess Matches. But this all only applies if the con has all these attractions.  

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:49 pm
This is a pet-peve of mine that I'm gonna get out. Why is it that every cosplay that I buy from a website comes WITHOUT POCKETS!? It's a pain in my a**! "cause then I'm stuck with a small bag holding my wallet, glasses case, cellphone, and anything I decide to buy at the con! Sometimes I need to buy a bag at the con, just to hold my phone/wallet so i don't need to dig through my other things to find them!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:26 am
To try and answer the questions you have up:
1) Naruto is just the popular anime now and there are so many different characters to choose from to cosplay, especially if your going in as a group.

2) The yaoi girls are an ongoing fad cause yaoi is hot, and the more they do it the crazier they get.

3) There are many reasons why ppl "half a**" cosplay. They are still working on there cosplay, they couldn't afford to get or make the rest and just want to still join in the fun, or they could just be making there own trend by using cosplay items with regular clothes youd be surprise how many ppl compliment them. These are just some optimistic points.

4) I don't know if I can answer that question, I don't know what you cosplay as.

5) J-rock is still pretty bid where I'm at, but if they are like me maybe its because many of the bands hardly stay together so its a little confusing.

6) First answer pretty much, ppl still do cosplay DBZ and Sailor Moon there just old school anime.

Now to answer your question: A lot of ppl think its cute when they do that. Could be a Japanese thing to some, cause if you go to Japan (and your not Asian pretty much) youll be 'poked' around with cause there curious, like if you have red hair or something.
The glomping is kinda old now from where I'm at, no one really does that anymore and if they do they usually ask.
I hope this helps.
I personally do not have a question right now, I'll think of one later, sorry

Naveh

700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

7dancer10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:42 pm
my question is why do some people come to a con as Jesus? really, i don't get it....first off its an ANIME con,not a religous con, and i don't recall Jesus being in cartoons (save for South Park...) I'm not against it or anything...I just think its weird.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:36 pm
Why do people half-a** cosplay?
They are either lazy, or they are working on their costume, or cannot afford the full costume yet.

amanogawatea

amanogawatea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:41 pm
7dancer10
my question is why do some people come to a con as Jesus? really, i don't get it....first off its an ANIME con,not a religous con, and i don't recall Jesus being in cartoons (save for South Park...) I'm not against it or anything...I just think its weird.

It is really funny to see Jesus at a convention. I'm not religious at all, but every time I see him I can't help but wanna hug him. "Jesuuussss!~"
A good reason is that at one convention, their are some religious morons who will go to a place of over 1000 people and protest against whatever the convention is for.

biggrin
Click me!

Basically this guy stood behind them and was like, "I love you all, you are all God's children!" or something like that. It was great.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:22 pm
XxXSinister WhispersXxX
7dancer10

It is really funny to see Jesus at a convention. I'm not religious at all, but every time I see him I can't help but wanna hug him. "Jesuuussss!~"
A good reason is that at one convention, their are some religious morons who will go to a place of over 1000 people and protest against whatever the convention is for.

biggrin
Click me!

Basically this guy stood behind them and was like, "I love you all, you are all God's children!" or something like that. It was great.

My response:
"Oh, Lord."
XD  

Sadistic Rainbows

1,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Dressed Up 200

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:28 pm
These really aren't "how come" "why do..." questions, but---actually, yes they are.

How come people dress as pokemon gijinka (sp?) and what does that mean!? lol

How come only anime/gaming characters are allowed to enter in the masquerade?

This is a durr, durr, durr moment for me, but how come I didn't realize I could HAND SEW my cosplays instead of sewing them by machine? I feel sooo stupid lol I kept bawing about how I sucked at sewing with a machine and didn't think about an alternative way. *Sigh* (IGNORE THIS QUESTION: thinking out loud)  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:43 pm
Gijinka- A form of anthropomorphism where "moe" qualities are given to non-human beings, objects, concepts, or phenomena. In addition to moe features, moe anthropomorphisms are also characterized by their accessories, which serve to emphasize their original forms before anthropomorphosis.

Anime/gaming characters are only allowed to enter the masquerade because it's an anime convention which was originally created for eastern entertainment and culture appreciation, but more recently there have been a lot of western influences amongst the con-goers and this sub-culture which is why it's not unusual to see Waldo, Repo! the Genetic Opera, steam-punk/cyber-ware, etc. walking around the convention.
If you think about it, imagine what would happen if they opened it up to any kind of costume... Huuuuundreds of entries, and half of them not even anime convention themed.

salsaplant

GO

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:03 pm
salsababy2889
Gijinka- A form of anthropomorphism where "moe" qualities are given to non-human beings, objects, concepts, or phenomena. In addition to moe features, moe anthropomorphisms are also characterized by their accessories, which serve to emphasize their original forms before anthropomorphosis.

Anime/gaming characters are only allowed to enter the masquerade because it's an anime convention which was originally created for eastern entertainment and culture appreciation, but more recently there have been a lot of western influences amongst the con-goers and this sub-culture which is why it's not unusual to see Waldo, Repo! the Genetic Opera, steam-punk/cyber-ware, etc. walking around the convention.
If you think about it, imagine what would happen if they opened it up to any kind of costume... Huuuuundreds of entries, and half of them not even anime convention themed.

Awesome, awesome. Thanks ^^  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:47 pm
XxXSinister WhispersXxX
7dancer10

biggrin

HAHAHHA OMG That is freakin hilarious....wish i was there.. sad
Click me!

7dancer10

Maruul

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:35 am
How come if people don't recognize your character hey tend to ask if you're the first thing that comes to their mind?
As I've mentioned many times now, when I cosplayed Kantarou from Tactics people kept asking "Are you Kikyo?" It's like, really? That's the only character you could think of that wears robes like this so I must be her? Never mind that I have SHORT BLONDE HAIR?! I actually hugged the people who bothered to ask "Who are you cosplaying?"  
Miscellaneous Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff