PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:31 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Variola Major
Fresnel
So the Mayans...
Collapsed, remember?
Actually, they were conquered by the Spaniards and their gunpowder. The BRITISH collapsed.
I thought they had mysteriously vanished hundreds of years before the Spanish made it here. Then again my knowledge of history is about as broad as Hank Hills urethra.
Okay, I was thinking of the Inca, but I'm pretty certain the Mayans got their a** handed to them by the Spaniards too, as did the Aztec. You're probably thinking of the Anasazi.
Yeah the Aztecs definitely got their asses handed to them by the Spaniards as did the Incas. Like I said though I don't know a whole lot of history.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:01 pm
Yea, but how did the Spaniards get to the new world to crush all these people? With a Navy, that's how.  

Variola Major

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:47 pm
Variola Major
Yea, but how did the Spaniards get to the new world to crush all these people? With a Navy, that's how.
The navy itself didn't do d**k in the direct fight.

Now that I think of it nations tend to rise and fall, but I don't ever recall any collapse of government in Switzerland. They're totally land locked so they probably don't have a navy.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:47 pm
The sun will die, it will then expand and destroy the earth then collapse into, I think, a white dwarf.
All of your arguments are invalid.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:54 am
Das Rabble Rouser
Variola Major
The navy itself didn't do d**k in the direct fight.
Except in Tenochtitlan, but that's because Cortez was an evil ******** genius. Landlocked lake with a city in it? BUILD A ******** ARMADA IN IT.

@Orkronos: They probably did too, possibly before the Anasazi.

ETA: Point of order: China. Never, NEVER had a powerful navy.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:26 am
Fresnel
Actually, yes it did. In the first half of the 15th Century their Navy was massive and pretty damn powerful.  

Variola Major

Variola Major

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:34 am
Oh, and I can think of three seperate occasions (The battle with the Spanish Armada, Trafalgar, and the early days of World War 2) where the British Royal navy prevented an invasion of the British Isles. The battle with the Spanish Armada defeated a direct attempt at invasion, Trafalgar dashed Napoleon's aspirations of an eventual invasion, and even if the RAF had lost the Battle of Britain, Hitler still wouldn't have been able to invade. He didn't have anything even remotely resembling a powerful enough fleet to beat the Royal Navy aside. Then we consider that the VIkings, who scared the s**t out of pretty much all of Northern Europe, were very big on naval power, as was Rome (The Roman fleet never had very much prestige, but it was vital to Rome's success), Athens (the most powerful of the Greek city-states), Carthage, Venice (which was an economic powerhouse in the middle ages), Spain (Spain was incredibly powerful in the early colonial period), Great Britain (which ruled the greatest empire ever formed), and the United States of America. It seems most of the truly powerful empires, with a few exceptions like the Mongols, are Naval empires.

Also, consider how many lives the Naval blockades in the American Civil War, World War 1, and World War 2 saved. All three wars would have cost a LOT more lives, and maybe been lost, if the Confederacy, Germany, and Japan hadn't been cut off from outside sources of food and war materials.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:32 pm
Variola Major
Fresnel
Actually, yes it did. In the first half of the 15th Century their Navy was massive and pretty damn powerful.
So for fifty years of their million-year history...

But let's go with the benefit of the doubt and say that China was a shitpot before the Dynasties. That's still 4100 years. Having a strong navy for FIFTY of those, halfway through the final millennia, does little to prove your point.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Variola Major

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:40 pm
Fresnel
Variola Major
Fresnel

But let's go with the benefit of the doubt and say that China was a shitpot before the Dynasties. That's still 4100 years. Having a strong navy for FIFTY of those, halfway through the final millennia, does little to prove your point.
That's just the period I know about. They may or may not have had a powerful navy before that.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:51 pm
Variola Major
Fresnel
Variola Major
Fresnel

That's just the period I know about. They may or may not have had a powerful navy before that.
Well under Mongol rule china massed a shitty fleet to invade Japan and lost it all in a storm so after the second failed invasion they decided to invade Europe.  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:14 pm
Variola Major
Fresnel
Variola Major
Fresnel

I went to the "history of China" article on Wikipedia and searched "navy". One hit, talking about some ruler who started their navy.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:26 pm
Screw conquering Sealand! Just drop a MOAB on them and laugh as the crippled platform sinks beneath the waves!

And plus, You'll be the first person to literally wipe a "country" off the map.  

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:46 pm
AINGELPROJECT667
Screw conquering Sealand! Just drop a MOAB on them and laugh as the crippled platform sinks beneath the waves!

the great flood. learn 2 bible  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:23 pm
AINGELPROJECT667

Best idea I've heard all day.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Variola Major

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:29 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
AINGELPROJECT667

the great flood. learn 2 bible
Except the great flood may or may not have happened. Besides, can a diety(s) be considered a person, or is he/she/it an entity?  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff