Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Favourite altar/shrine object Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:01 am
razielarcha... all I see here is a discussion. No one is directly insulting anyone, including your Goddess. Everyone that you have spoken to in this thread is actually fairly well versed in the Lore and if they are debating specific points with you, that's all it is...debate. It's not meant as an insult, so please don't take it that way.

You brought up the Rede, and yes it is on the Guild Homepage, however it is really only applicable to those that are Wiccan (or those on a Wiccan-based path), and even then I don't see how it's totally relevant to this conversation. To those who are other flavors of Pagan (like Asatru, or other Heathen-based paths), it's not actually relevant at all, unless for some reason they have chosen to follow it.

I don't see how it is harming you, or Freja to discuss the meaning of a word, and to discuss whether or not it is an applicable term to use. I am sorry that you have had issues in the past with people insulting your Gods/esses, but I assure you that is not the case here.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:07 am
So the whole paragraph in the Guild guide about respecting other's faiths means nothing to you?

Bye bye then.  

razielarcha

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:09 am
No one is disrespecting your faith. That is the point I'm trying to make. I can honestly say, none of us (even if we think the term is a valid one) thinks anything bad about Freja, or about any of your Gods/esses.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:15 am
razielarcha
You should really take a history lesson. English, from Anglo-Saxon, is in the same language family as Old Norse/Icelandic.
Language families don't ensure word meanings are the same. Modern German and Modern English are from the same family, but I don't think I'm going to wear pebbles any time soon.

Quote:
They also shared the same religion with minor variations.
That doesn't mean that there was even an ancient Norse concept of "Handfasting" in the modern sense or even in the Middle English sense.

What I am saying is that I don't know that Freya was handfasted. I haven't seen the term used to address her union. I don't know what the real ancient traditions of Norse Marriage were like. If instead of saying "We don't know! She could have just been handfasted for a year and a day!" you provided a source that said she was, then that would be fine. But I'm not going to take your word for it any more than I'll take anyone elses.

Quote:
As for The Eddas, Lokasenna may have mentions of other myths, but it doesn't mean it is infallible fact as to the individual gods and goddesses characters. You'll notice that every one of them are trying to make him shut up. He insults every single goddess saying they've slept around, even Sif who they considered the most pure. Even Ithunn was attacked as badly as Freyja. The reason they didn't defend themselves? They knew it wouldn't make a difference since all present knew the truth and it goes down to "Don't feed the Trollz."

I think it's conjecture to say that's why they didn't fight back. Especially since they felt like threatening him, and some even admitted he was right.

"Hush thee, Odhinn; not ever fairly
didst allot men luck in battle;
oft thou gavest, as give thou should'st not,
mastery to worser men."

"Granted I gave, as give I should not,
mastery to worser men:"

It's kind of picking and choosing if you discount part of the Eddas just because they're unflattering to a given god or goddess. I can just imagine how little would be written about some of the gods if they edited out all the deceptiveness and cheating.

I also think it's important to keep in mind what a Flyting is about. Calling falsehood and returning the banter was a very useful way of dealing with the accusation.

Norse myth is full of "Oh s**t. Our honor bound word is going to screw us over. Quick! Find a sneaky loophole!"

Quote:
And even if you are not Christian, I do seem to remember the Witches Rede on the front page of this guild. If you forgot:

Quote:
Bide the Wiccan Law ye must,
In perfect love and perfect trust.
Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill
An' ye harm none, do what ye will.

What ye send forth comes back to thee
So ever mind the law of three
Follow this with mind and heart,
Merry ye meet, and merry ye part.

I'd say this also applies to you. And harm doesn't specifically mean bodily harm either.
I'd say you're not in any position to tell me what applies to me or doesn't.

My moral code isn't a reworking of a poem from Doreen Valiente.

Even if it was, the Rede is advice and doesn't prohibit harm, it says as long as it doesn't harm someone, you can do whatever you'd like. If it does harm, think about it first and then make your decision.

The day I sent my brain to auto-pilot, bleating the Rede and stop thinking about my actions is the day my HPS is going to slap me upside the head.

Quote:
I've already given 'promiscuous' as an acceptable word to use when referring to Freyja.
And I know people who think whore is too, they seem to agree with Loki.

I wonder if they'd be as insulted as you are that you're implying Loki spoke falsely.

Quote:
The rest of the world sees it as demeaning and insulting. DON'T USE IT.
I don't see it as demeaning or insulting. I usually see it as a turn-on. wink

I also don't really give a crud about how the rest of the world sees it. We're not talking about them- at the moment we're talking about some Norse Pagans I know and why they disagree with your sensitivity towards one of the goddesses you both worship being called a whore.

Quote:
It has never been used in any other way than degrading
You've never been in my bedroom.

Quote:
So I really do not see how anyone could 'reclaim' it.
*Shrugs* Appropriate, reclaim- I'm not invested in what you call what they're doing any more than I'm invested in what they're doing.

My bet is that your own link mentions the word stems from khoraz/khoron and they're undoing the shame associated with desire.

That or maybe they're just kinky.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:20 am
One thing I am looking to do is use an altoid box for a mini-alter. Anyone have suggestions?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:31 am
I remember someone else doing something similar once. You might want to check around online at Dollhouse accessories - I know they make miniature candles, but not sure what sort of other things that they make that might work for a mini-altar.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:32 am
too2sweet
I remember someone else doing something similar once. You might want to check around online at Dollhouse accessories - I know they make miniature candles, but not sure what sort of other things that they make that might work for a mini-altar.

Thanks for the link.

I'm trying to decide if I want a mini-alter that's something I can use as a visualization tool or if I want something like a portable alter kit in a box.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:38 am
If they are that small, you could probably do one of each.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:46 am
too2sweet

Yeah, but I only have the one statue I want to use. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:47 am
Esiris
too2sweet

Yeah, but I only have the one statue I want to use. sweatdrop

Ahh xd  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:57 am
too2sweet

Ahh xd

I made it out of clay and I really like it. I guess I could try and make another one- but I'm not sure if I'll have a chance to fire it.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:35 am
I have this old brass bell, that used to be my great-grandmothers. It has a wooden handle, that is slightly crooked, and is missing the clapper (I tap it with the blade of my athame, and it has a lovely sound).

It is simple, not ornate or anything, it definitely looks older, but I absolutely love it.  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:12 am
kyndryana3
I have this old brass bell, that used to be my great-grandmothers. It has a wooden handle, that is slightly crooked, and is missing the clapper (I tap it with the blade of my athame, and it has a lovely sound).

It is simple, not ornate or anything, it definitely looks older, but I absolutely love it.

It sounds pretty.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:48 pm
my incense burner of a woman on her knees and her arms in the air & she has wings that are up with her arms, the smoke comes out of her back of her wings, i consider her a representation of a goddess  

Cheetahs Wolf

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:53 pm
Cheetahs Wolf
my incense burner of a woman on her knees and her arms in the air & she has wings that are up with her arms, the smoke comes out of her back of her wings, i consider her a representation of a goddess

Cool. Which goddess?  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games