Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How do you pronounce? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you yahoo?
  Yes.
  No.
  What the...?!!??
  Pollness
View Results

Mia Eidenschink

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:06 pm
I live in Florida...but my mom is from the North...I say ant-E and th-A..but every now and then I throw in Th-E but isn't it spelt thee at that point?  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:47 am
When I'm talking quickly, I have a bad habit of not pronouncing a vowel after the 'th' in 'the, so I end up just saying things like 'Hey, didya see th' ball?' I know, I know, I slur too much. When I do pronounce it, I usually go with 'tha.'

It's always 'ant-I,' though, with me. And I pronounce schedule as 'SKED-chul,' not the 'SCHED-jul' it's pronounced as.  

Sola Catella

Kohy

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:02 am
Transiberian Orchestra
I find people saying Japanese words differently from me.
Like I say 'Mahn-gah,' and they say 'Mayn-gah.'

I'm pretty sure it would be pronounced 'Mahn-gah'. It deals with the way the Japanese pronounce their 'a's and it's pronounced like 'ah' in mat. So yes, it's supposed to be 'mahn-gah', or atleast that's what I get from my Japanese lessons.  
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:51 pm
...Even the Japanese have different ways of pronouncing things, but the one I've generally been taught is that saying "manga" is not so much like man, but more like mon...not like mohn, but ...um...like a Jamaican guy. >.<

Anyway, I pronounce plague "plahg" because I mostly taught myself my vocabulary, and when I came across it when I was littler, nobody really said plague much, so I had to think of my own way to pronounce it, but I'm always told it's more like "playg"

And I pronounce "education" "ed-uh-ca-shun" or "ed-uh-ca-see-un" for the same reason. Which is funny because the closest to that I've ever found in massively produced tomes was in the Once and Future King, when he said "First rate eddication," which is almost the same I pronounce it. Most people have mispronounced it as "ejucation" even though it should be "ed-oo-cation." Yet I get picked on for not pronouncing it with the "j" sound. Pheh.

Oh! I also pronounce "sadism" as "sahd-ism" as opposed to "sayd-ism" for the same reason as the other two. It looked like the word sad, so I pronounced it that way.

There's probably a few others I pronounce funkily, but those are the most common and noticeable, besides the fact that I randomly go into the "basic faire accent" I obtained from working at the renaissance faire for the past two months. I occasionally don't pronounced the "-tion" and "-cian" and other related endings as "-shun" like most people here do, and instead change it to "-see-un"

Anyways...  

Tregatry.

KoshiDoragon

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:35 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:48 am
KoshiDoragon
I find the word "often" confusing to pronounce. Sometimes I say the "T" and sometimes I silence it.

I remember being told that saying the T in "often" is a more old-fashioned way. I think both ways are considered correct.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Ceegamus

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:01 pm
DarkRubberDuckyofDoom
Do you say 'ant-I' or 'ant-E'?

Do you pronounce it 'th-E' or 'th-A'?

People speak differently and it has nothing to do with where you are from. Tell us some words you say differently and find other's talk oddly.

I say 'th-a' most of the time. And schedule not 'shedule'. I'm a terrible grammar speaker, but typing badly is annoying.

ant-e
Th-e  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:35 pm
I want to be aware if this is a mistake or if a lot of people actually do this:

While listening to a song a few days ago, sang by a rock group, I heard the word 'February' pronounced as 'FebUary' as if the first 'r' didn't exist.

I'm not sure how many people do this but at five years old, my teachers drilled into my head that the word is pronounce 'FebRUary', just as it is spelt.

This is why I'm asking the guild, how do you pronounce it?  

Kohy

Sola Catella

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:21 pm
To be honest, I slur the middle syllables so much that it's impossible to tell. I think I pronounce the first 'r', although whether I pronounce the u is open to question--I have a heavy stress on the first syllable, slur the next two, and have a lighter stress on the last.  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:58 am
Gokan123
I say ant-I, and I say th-A.

I say ant-E deppressants and Th-A

I also use bow-loan-knee for bologna

I realize that i say Feb-er-rary

and I used to say Fustrated instead of Frustrated!!!
OOPS!!
rofl  

talkintree

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:00 am
Do you guys say
Aunt and Uncle or ant and uncle?  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:55 pm
I say ant-EE.

I also usually don't pronounce the vowel on "the." I usually just say something like "thdog" or "thchair." neutral  

Confused Cotton Socks

[Calypso]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:19 pm
When using "the" you should pronounce it "th-E" before a word starting with a vowel: I.E. I ate the apple.
Every other time you say "th-A".

As for anti, it depends on the word and what region of the country you're from, I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:19 pm
I say doctor a little funny, like with an accent like "doctoor", I have no idea why I do this.

Heres another thing for pronouncing thats somewhat "fun" here is bag, theres like two slighty different ways to say it.  

dark_elf

Ithaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:03 pm
Kohy
I want to be aware if this is a mistake or if a lot of people actually do this:

While listening to a song a few days ago, sang by a rock group, I heard the word 'February' pronounced as 'FebUary' as if the first 'r' didn't exist.

I'm not sure how many people do this but at five years old, my teachers drilled into my head that the word is pronounce 'FebRUary', just as it is spelt.

This is why I'm asking the guild, how do you pronounce it?

FebUary. FebRUary just kind of gets messed up on my tongue and comes out all weird-sounding. Thick and unnatural. Definitely over-pronounced.

It could be a regional thing. I've never heard anyone stress the R.

Though I think I've heard, and maybe even said, 'febrary', which comes out as 'febooary', only fast. Say it, and you'll see what I mean.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff