Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Deities Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scorpy-Sue

Distinct Conversationalist

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:53 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Afro-Dawg
Sanguina Cruenta
Patronage is a heavy thing and not something to be entered into lightly (that is, if you're given the choice). While I think it's possible for it to happen early on, I also think most people don't know what patronage really is or what it might entail and are far too quick to claim it.

Yeah, I wouldn't say my relationship with Thor is patronage, but I don't really know what to call it.

In Heathenry we have a word, "fulltrui". Means, like, BFF. Fully tru. The concept of patronage changes from culture to culture, and the Germanic version is better described by a word like fulltrui.

Lawl. While I'd like to call myself BFFs with Thor, I think we need to have a few more one-on-ones and get to know each other better. Gotta mature the relationship into something long-term.

I am seriously laughing out loud right now. Thank you. I was so angry just a moment ago. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:26 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Afro-Dawg
Sanguina Cruenta
Patronage is a heavy thing and not something to be entered into lightly (that is, if you're given the choice). While I think it's possible for it to happen early on, I also think most people don't know what patronage really is or what it might entail and are far too quick to claim it.

Yeah, I wouldn't say my relationship with Thor is patronage, but I don't really know what to call it.

In Heathenry we have a word, "fulltrui". Means, like, BFF. Fully tru. The concept of patronage changes from culture to culture, and the Germanic version is better described by a word like fulltrui.

I think that's the relationship I have with Pan. It couldn't be patronage.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:18 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta
Afro-Dawg
Sanguina Cruenta

Greek and Germanic cultures are quite different. The word "fulltrui" is not appropriate within the Greek paradigm. Greek culture (well, Athenian culture), like Roman, had as a part of its functioning society the concept of patron-client relationships. Whether he's your patron or not I shouldn't wish to say, but patronage is definitely an area you should study if you are interested in Greek paganism.  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:51 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta
Afro-Dawg
Sanguina Cruenta

Could you explain again why you feel connected to Pan? What draws you to him? What do you know about him? I'm just curious.  

HorsesOfTheNight

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:59 am
HorsesOfTheNight
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta
Afro-Dawg
Sanguina Cruenta

Could you explain again why you feel connected to Pan? What draws you to him? What do you know about him? I'm just curious.

I'm not sure what draws me to him. I just know we both share a love for music.  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:27 am
Azareas Aquarinus

Oh! I actually have something smart to say about Greek Gods and music!
So- in Greek culture there was a distinction between different kinds of music, and depending on what kind of music you like, Pan might not actually be involved with your kind of music- it might be someone else like Apollo or someone.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:33 am
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

Oh! I actually have something smart to say about Greek Gods and music!
So- in Greek culture there was a distinction between different kinds of music, and depending on what kind of music you like, Pan might not actually be involved with your kind of music- it might be someone else like Apollo or someone.

Did he love forests or big greenery areas?
I tend to have a big respect for trees and forests. I tend to pick up litter and just enjoy trees.  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:37 am
Azareas Aquarinus

Most of what I read had him more interested to mountains, flocks and shepherds.
Quote:
I tend to have a big respect for trees and forests. I tend to pick up litter and just enjoy trees.

I don't know how to put this- so I'm just going to come out and say it, every litter personal interest that you happen to have in common isn't always a reason to try and build a relationship. For example- George W. Bush is a theist and so are you- you're not going to call him up and ask to be friends, right?

Maybe instead of shopping through a list of "traits" it would be better to explore who the gods are through their legends and myths and their relationship with other gods and the people who worshiped them in the past.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:02 pm
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

Most of what I read had him more interested to mountains, flocks and shepherds.
Quote:

I don't know how to put this- so I'm just going to come out and say it, every litter personal interest that you happen to have in common isn't always a reason to try and build a relationship. For example- George W. Bush is a theist and so are you- you're not going to call him up and ask to be friends, right?

Maybe instead of shopping through a list of "traits" it would be better to explore who the gods are through their legends and myths and their relationship with other gods and the people who worshiped them in the past.

Yeah. I'll read up on myths and stories. Are there any sites?  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:35 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
HorsesOfTheNight
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta
Afro-Dawg
Sanguina Cruenta

Pan does have a love for music. He is also the Greek god of flocks, shepards, and nature. Pan is the god of lonely and desolate scenes, such as mountain countries. Also, he is associated with sudden causeless fear. He also gets along with Dionysus.

Source: Myths and their Meaning by Max J. Herzberg  

HorsesOfTheNight

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:50 pm
HorsesOfTheNight

Pan does have a love for music. He is also the Greek god of flocks, shepards, and nature. Pan is the god of lonely and desolate scenes, such as mountain countries. Also, he is associated with sudden causeless fear. He also gets along with Dionysus.

Did that book mention the relationships between the different kinds of music?  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:47 pm
Esiris
HorsesOfTheNight

Did that book mention the relationships between the different kinds of music?

No it did not. In another book I have it says that Pan created the shepard's reed pipes. Apollo is known for playing the lyre. The lyre was created by Hermes.

Source: Myths of the Ancient Greeks by Richard P. Martin  

HorsesOfTheNight

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:44 pm
HorsesOfTheNight

No it did not. In another book I have it says that Pan created the shepard's reed pipes. Apollo is known for playing the lyre. The lyre was created by Hermes.

Source: Myths of the Ancient Greeks by Richard P. Martin

I think some of this (and now I'm back to unfamiliar areas) has to do with the difference between the gods of the city-states and the gods of the outlying country- and how those two different lifestyles in ancient Greece meshed or didn't.  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:34 am
HorsesOfTheNight
Azareas Aquarinus
HorsesOfTheNight
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta

Isn't Pan also a god of male sexuality as well? I remember reading something about him, where most figures of him have rather large phallus.

And I remember the story of how Pan created the reed flutes. He was chasing after a beautiful nymph, and she turned herself into the reeds, so he collected the reeds and made them into his flute. I can't remember the nymph's name in the story... sweatdrop  

Chrono-Trigger-2012

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:40 am
Chrono-Trigger-2012
HorsesOfTheNight
Azareas Aquarinus
HorsesOfTheNight
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta

Isn't Pan also a god of male sexuality as well? I remember reading something about him, where most figures of him have rather large phallus.

And I remember the story of how Pan created the reed flutes. He was chasing after a beautiful nymph, and she turned herself into the reeds, so he collected the reeds and made them into his flute. I can't remember the nymph's name in the story... sweatdrop

I think it's more fertility than male sexuality, if you felt like making that distinction. I think it has to do with the symbolism of the phallus in Greek art. Look at statues of Heracles, and note the surprisingly small p***s. Satyrs all had those large erect phalli as well. It's more symbolic of the body controlling the mind, I think, of wildness and lust over intellect or love.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games