Books on Buddhism, Zen and Meditation Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Proxy5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:21 pm
Wings Akimbo
I'd like to reccomend "The Tibetian Book of the Dead" (that's the english title). It's translated from tibetian, and while it's a bit of heavy reading, it's very interesting.

I like the Fremantle and Chogyam Trungpa translation offered by the Shambhala Library, though the Evans-Wentz chapter on the Yoga of the After-Death State in "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines" (Oxford Press) is OK (Evans-Wentz was a trailblazer for the West but he also had some strange opinions regarding Buddhist literature...).  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:22 am
Fun. XD

You know, even though it doesn't seek to really explain Zen at all, I have a book called The Little Zen Companion that tries to offer up words of wisdom, most from people who have no association with Buddhism whatsoever. Heck, there's even a few quotes in there from Groucho Marx and Don King. XD

It's filled to the brim with short Zen stories and quotes, and it's really just nice for some escapism and to get your head on straight when you're stressed out by reminding you to live in the present. I totally recommend it just as an unwind book, where you can flip to any random page and find something that'll put you at ease and make you keep thinking.  

Rising Hourglass

Cranium Squirrel
Captain

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:03 pm
People may think this one's a little weird for me given my love for Thich Nhat Hanh stuff, but I recently grabbed Hardcore Zen: Punk Rock, Monster Movies and the Truth About Reality by Brad Warner on a whim with some of my birthday cash. I have to admit, it's awesome. The guy is the most down to earth and human Zen master ever, who translates some of Buddhism's harder to understand concepts into simple english. He's irreverent, funny and tells things as they are - which is, really, the point of Buddhism.

Well worth the read. Be warned though, he's a swearer. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:20 pm
Alan Watts is amazing. I read The Book: On The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are. It's great. heart

@Byaggha: Oh! I just read that, too! I really enjoyed it! =D He is so chill.  

o sunflower king

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:20 pm
i wouldn't know exactly where to put it, as i am not Buddhist, and unfamiliar with what constitutes being specifically Buddhist, but this book has been understood to me as being about a general Buddhist/Hindu style of thought...

it's called Be Here Now by (******** if i can remember right now... i'll update when i fish the book out again).  
Loving Kindness: A Buddhism Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff