Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
sewing in public Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:00 pm
Dances with Squirrels
carnivore
Gemini6184
I knit on the trolley into school, while im inbetween classes, during anime club and D&D. ^^ Im a total knitwit - and people love watching me! I think its funny, but alot of people like to watch me knit, and several people have started knitting at home, but I'm the only one you see knitting around my campus.

i've had a lot of people tell me that watching me knit was strangely soothing and hypnotic...

Well, I suppose that if doing it is soothing and hypnotic (it is for me, anyway), then I guess watching someone do it would be as well.

I've just recently started knitting in public, mainly on my university's campus. Most people are friendly and curious, but I had one girl tell me that I was perpetuating gender stereotypes and that I should be ashamed of myself for supporting 'the opressive male-dominant culture'. I just brandished a knitting needle at her and went: "Shoo." confused

The other day i was talking with my sister, and we realized that we do alot of the classic housewife activities. We sew, knit, keep the kitchen clean, things like that.
The last person who accused me of 'conforming to gender-stereotypes' was told that her shirt conformed to modernday gender stereotypes more then my knitting did.

I generally have one or two people staring at my knitting as well.

pepermint: What size needles do you use for embrodery floss? I'm thinking about making my dollie a sweater out of the stuff, but i don't know what size needles to use. >< As of right now i've been crocheting things for her.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:07 am
kochi~mochi
Dances with Squirrels
carnivore
Gemini6184
I knit on the trolley into school, while im inbetween classes, during anime club and D&D. ^^ Im a total knitwit - and people love watching me! I think its funny, but alot of people like to watch me knit, and several people have started knitting at home, but I'm the only one you see knitting around my campus.

i've had a lot of people tell me that watching me knit was strangely soothing and hypnotic...

Well, I suppose that if doing it is soothing and hypnotic (it is for me, anyway), then I guess watching someone do it would be as well.

I've just recently started knitting in public, mainly on my university's campus. Most people are friendly and curious, but I had one girl tell me that I was perpetuating gender stereotypes and that I should be ashamed of myself for supporting 'the opressive male-dominant culture'. I just brandished a knitting needle at her and went: "Shoo." confused

The other day i was talking with my sister, and we realized that we do alot of the classic housewife activities. We sew, knit, keep the kitchen clean, things like that.
The last person who accused me of 'conforming to gender-stereotypes' was told that her shirt conformed to modernday gender stereotypes more then my knitting did.

pepermint: What size needles do you use for embrodery floss? I'm thinking about making my dollie a sweater out of the stuff, but i don't know what size needles to use. >< As of right now i've been crocheting things for her.
I recommend using size 0's, but they feel a bit... flimsy in my hands, so I usually use 1's.  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:14 am
I sew in public all the time. I actually made a bag to take my sewing places with me. I used to sew on beads at work. ^^ I still bead random fabric when I get a few minutes. I finished hand sewing a costume at a camp ground once and the kids from the next site over came over to watch me. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:40 am
last semester i knit at my university when i had an hour or so to wait. people still talk to me this semester, asking if i was the one who was knitting.  

Maki Minakoaino

Silvander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:24 am
The only public sewing I do is blackwork. But then, only at my traditional seat in my college's ... open area? It's got seating and it's across from teh cafeteria. *shrug* It's the villa. I do it there because one entire wall is made of windows and I have all the light I need. Otherwise my eyes hurt.

Most of my sewing is machine work so I can't haul it around in public.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:27 pm
kochi~mochi
Dances with Squirrels
carnivore
Gemini6184

Ugh, I hate when other women slam knitting as gender stereotyping. There's a certain point where being a "real" feminist means only things that are traditionally manly are important. It's like the women's lib movement is going backwards.

There's nothing wrong with being proud with what women are able to do. Gender equality doesn't mean we have to become men to be equal. [/rant]

Aside from a couple of "enlightened" chicks that thought I was a traitor to my gender, knitting in public really brings out the nicest sweetest people around her.

I get stopped in stores to see what I'm making, chatted up in lines, and even given coffee upgrades at Starbucks by interested baristas. It's just been an awesome experience all around.

A lot of guys are digging the knit thing, too. I've got a couple of my nephews learning the basics and get lots of questions from teenage boys around here.  

Worst_Witch

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:40 am
I often carry hand-sewing with me. Keeps me occupied & happy & most people are very friendly. Somehow, if you're sewing, you stop being a blank cipher & start being a real person.

I also love sewing in front of the TV smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:23 am
Bookwyrme
Somehow, if you're sewing, you stop being a blank cipher & start being a real person.

That is one extremely true statement!  

Silver Mist

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:05 pm
I knit and crochet in public all the time, and everyone knows me as the girl that knits.
Last year in high school I'd knit in class after I finished my work, and all of my teachers would make a big deal(in a good way) and a few of my teachers would show off my project to the entire class. I thought it was kinda funny...but mostly I thought it was annoying because it interrupted my work.....
And everyone always watches me too, and ask me what I'm doing, it's really nice, because they're always so nice about it. People seem so amazed that teenagers knit!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:04 am
I knit in public quite often, and I constantly have people staring at me. I find that libraries are great places to knit. ( ^^)b

Once I was knitting in the train on the way home and a group of people in front of me kept whispering amongst themselves and pointing at me... confused  

wynter_myst

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:14 am
I crochet at resutrants. It keeps me from picking at food, which is alot healthier. ^^  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:19 am
I corchet constantly at school. All of the kids look at me like I'm an idiot, but as soon as I'm done making a hat or something it immideatly becomes cool because they want what I just made. sweatdrop  

RocknRollDragon

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:35 pm
I don't sew in public, but I might try it some time, it could keep me busy on the bus ride home or durring lunch or gym, lol. XD Maybe math? Noo...Math is reserved for drawing, lol. XD  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:18 pm
I will do a Plushie sewing course on a convention in november ... so I will absolutely sew in public ... think it will be amazing  

KnuddelRaito

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 am
RocknRollDragon
I corchet constantly at school. All of the kids look at me like I'm an idiot, but as soon as I'm done making a hat or something it immideatly becomes cool because they want what I just made. sweatdrop

Kids used to do that to me in high school.
But those were the kids that would talk crap about me while sitting next to me in class and would talk about how ugly my wrist splint was, then try to say that they were my friend so that they could cheat off me.
Uhh, how about NO! scream  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces