Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
'Yo' 'Son' and other Slang terms (Curses included) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shinigami Banchou sama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:08 pm
Shrocomemos
I blame the teachers for not telling the kids to stop talking like that.

Agreed.

Where I live there are these kids who sadly can't end one damn sentence without saying the "N"( I just find the word just to disgusting to spell out.) word or son.

It's difficult to hold a conversation with some of the people my age.
and I doubt any of them have ever given birth to one another, becuase that's the only way I could see someone being called son.

Now the "N" word, that word is a horrible racial slur, but why is it being used? Like it's nothing?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:11 pm
Shinigami Banchou sama
Shrocomemos

Agreed.

Where I live there are these kids who sadly can't end one damn sentence without saying the "N"( I just find the word just to disgusting to spell out.) word or son.

It's difficult to hold a conversation with some of the people my age.
and I doubt any of them have ever given birth to one another, becuase that's the only way I could see someone being called son.

Now the "N" word, that word is a horrible racial slur, but why is it being used? Like it's nothing?

Well, I think's it taking something that was once used degradingly, and twisting it to their own heritage and culture. I don't agree with using it either, but I do see people wanting to show that they won't put up with that sort of thing, and as such, they use it in different contexts.  

WellThen

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:20 am
Their fault. If they want to degrade their values, then let them be.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:19 am
Shrocomemos
It's not like it would stop even if the teachers did do something about it.  

[-True Illusion-]

Artemis93

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:07 pm
I blame rap stars and other idols of teens. The way their music is phrased and the way they talk is the way that teens and other people who idolize them speak, so all in all it's their fault. Yet again, it is the people who use that type of language's fault. If they came to their senses then none of this would happen; nobody would speak as if they had completely forgot the english language.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:35 am
If they never get into collage so be it, it's their fault for their vocabulary loss. (Or if they never had a good vocabulary in the first place)

(Sorry if my spelling is a tad wrong, I have a good vocabulary, but don't know how to spell half the words, sorry) redface  

kirb-sama

Violet the mystical

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:10 pm
I guess public schools have more freedom.
As far as we common kids know, private schools are for people who are posh and have bucket fulls of money.
Private schools are also more strict as well.
The great thing about my school is, its free, has freedom for students and its a great place to come and learn.
Three cheers for the English!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:35 pm
Damn that's annoying. I've attended public school my whole life, so I've learned to get used to this. But really, it's kind of sad. I miss the good old days from early elementary school when every spoke normally and got good grades. Except that one kid who decided to completely ignore the teacher and all of the school work... I hated him. And he still goes to my school even now.

And, yeah, it is rap and hip-hop that's doing this to them. The world's gone insane in the past few years. burning_eyes  

Nixter

-la reine des gitans-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:21 pm
Where to start. . .

First off, I'm not out to blame anyone. And if I were, I'd have to include every single one of you who has blamed something as generic as rap or hip hop. One thing that really bothers me is people who have no idea about other people, their upbringing, their domestic life, their short-fallings. It just drives me crazy. Most proper-speaking Americans are a hell of a lot more priveleged than half the people you're accusing. One of the first lines in the Great Gatsby is 'my father said "Whenever you feel like criticizing someone, think about how priveleged you are." or something to that effect.

As I previously wrote in some post or another, I am more of an actress. Yet while I celebrate my well-spoken peers, I still appreciate all the dialects I hear. It's one of my tools as an actress (or rather, someone who has a far-off dream of being an actress).

I'm in three honors classes and am very well aware of the intellect that surrounds me, but there are plenty of people smarter than me that don't speak as well. In that case, we all have strengths. I'm not very good at geometry or science, but I love to have a colorful vocabulary. Note that I said colorful, not proper or classy or Elizabethan (though I do use words from the time. I'm a Jane Austen fan.).

Now I know that most of you are older and wiser and more educated than I am, but I thought you all were repeating your points and bashing rap and whatever else you were blaming a little too much. It was a little too one-noted so I thought I'd try introducing a new idea from a different vantage point. Slang really doesn't bother me as much as it used to, now that I've become a much more mature, diplomatic person. I can understand that of course not everyone is going to speak like me because no one else had my exact upbringing.

I think you all should ease up a little on your slang abuse. I'm all for communication and if you think that communication is the cause for the increase in the demolition of the English language, then I think some of you should expand your horizons and open your mind a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:37 am
Bella Catarina
Where to start. . .

First off, I'm not out to blame anyone. And if I were, I'd have to include every single one of you who has blamed something as generic as rap or hip hop. One thing that really bothers me is people who have no idea about other people, their upbringing, their domestic life, their short-fallings. It just drives me crazy. Most proper-speaking Americans are a hell of a lot more priveleged than half the people you're accusing. One of the first lines in the Great Gatsby is 'my father said "Whenever you feel like criticizing someone, think about how priveleged you are." or something to that effect.

As I previously wrote in some post or another, I am more of an actress. Yet while I celebrate my well-spoken peers, I still appreciate all the dialects I hear. It's one of my tools as an actress (or rather, someone who has a far-off dream of being an actress).

I'm in three honors classes and am very well aware of the intellect that surrounds me, but there are plenty of people smarter than me that don't speak as well. In that case, we all have strengths. I'm not very good at geometry or science, but I love to have a colorful vocabulary. Note that I said colorful, not proper or classy or Elizabethan (though I do use words from the time. I'm a Jane Austen fan.).

Now I know that most of you are older and wiser and more educated than I am, but I thought you all were repeating your points and bashing rap and whatever else you were blaming a little too much. It was a little too one-noted so I thought I'd try introducing a new idea from a different vantage point. Slang really doesn't bother me as much as it used to, now that I've become a much more mature, diplomatic person. I can understand that of course not everyone is going to speak like me because no one else had my exact upbringing.

I think you all should ease up a little on your slang abuse. I'm all for communication and if you think that communication is the cause for the increase in the demolition of the English language, then I think some of you should expand your horizons and open your mind a bit.

I applaud your words. However, I strongly believe that "we're all to blame," to quote a song. The teachers, the students, the media, and society itself is to blame for the decreasing of literacy. If we want it to come back, then instead of blasting others in a forum, we should all take action. I am guilty of blasting others as well, and as an English tutor, I do my damn best to explain to the students that I work with that no matter if they had an bad upbringing, are from across the border (I live near Mexico), or as they say it, "don't know how to talk right, cuz I ain't smart enough," that they have a chance to change. But if they aren't willing, then who are we to gripe?  

Patron with a Mission

-MyOrgasmicSuicide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:13 pm
ur school is sick!!!!!!! heart  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:16 pm
The teachers should have stopped this slang movement as I like to call it, but sadly it's all over the whole United States of America.  

Vincent Snowfrost

-la reine des gitans-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:28 pm
Yeah, that's some real optimistic thinking. But that's another argument for another day. Thank you, dameonmac5918, for your reply. You made a good point.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:07 pm
Bella Catarina
Yeah, that's some real optimistic thinking. But that's another argument for another day. Thank you, dameonmac5918, for your reply. You made a good point.

And so did you. ^.^  

Patron with a Mission

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas