Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
Alpha and Omega Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:02 am
ぺらぺら : perapera : fluent (Japanese)  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:06 pm
aam - good (Nisga'a and Tsysen)  

Okier - chan

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:01 pm
水 : mizu : water (Japanese) ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 am
Heheh.
Uitkijkpost.
"Lookout; observation post." Dutch.

I was thinking of adding a rule. For some languages that have unique vowel sounds that are hard to approximate in others, I was thinking that the general rule would say to use the closest possible vowel sound to the one in question. For example, the Japanese ず syllable, ending in /u/ (or, to be super technical, ending in /ɯᵝ/), doesn't quite match up with the Greek letter υ, which has a phonetic value of /yː/ and was what I was going to use before I came up with that Dutch word.
The trouble I want to avoid is if I choose a Greek word that ends with the letter υ. I feel that the next best sound in whatever language you pick would suffice. I realize that the final letter is supposed to be what's important, but since Greek is the only language that utilizes that alphabet and the letter is sometimes Latinized as "u" and sometimes as "y", I think the next level should be sound in this case to avoid a standstill. What do you all say?

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:38 am
Shizuka Mizu
Heheh.
Uitkijkpost.
"Lookout; observation post." Dutch.

I was thinking of adding a rule. For some languages that have unique vowel sounds that are hard to approximate in others, I was thinking that the general rule would say to use the closest possible vowel sound to the one in question. For example, the Japanese ず syllable, ending in /u/ (or, to be super technical, ending in /ɯᵝ/), doesn't quite match up with the Greek letter υ, which has a phonetic value of /yː/ and was what I was going to use before I came up with that Dutch word.
The trouble I want to avoid is if I choose a Greek word that ends with the letter υ. I feel that the next best sound in whatever language you pick would suffice. I realize that the final letter is supposed to be what's important, but since Greek is the only language that utilizes that alphabet and the letter is sometimes Latinized as "u" and sometimes as "y", I think the next level should be sound in this case to avoid a standstill. What do you all say?

燕 : tsubame : swallow (as in the bird) (Japanese)

That seems fine, as long as an indication is made as to what sound is made (if it isn't immediately obvious). Would this only apply to Greek words, or just in general? What about words where the final letter is silent? Would we still use the last letter, or the last phonetic syllable?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:46 pm
étanchement: Quenching (French)  

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

Munashii the Unseen

Informer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:02 pm
Tavola. [Table - Italian.]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:37 pm
emikodo
燕 : tsubame : swallow (as in the bird) (Japanese)

That seems fine, as long as an indication is made as to what sound is made (if it isn't immediately obvious). Would this only apply to Greek words, or just in general? What about words where the final letter is silent? Would we still use the last letter, or the last phonetic syllable?

Ἀθανασία (Athanasía)
"Immortality." Greek.

Sounds good, indication, I mean.
This rule would apply in general. The Russian letter ы is another one that would certainly fall under this rule, having a phonetic value of /ɨ/, not even existing in English. Short i (like in "pit") would be the closest that I would accept, for example. This could also apply to the Icelandic letter ð, which can be approximated with "th", so on and so forth.

As for final syllable, you always have the option to use it in lieu of the final letter (not just when the last letter is silent), especially if the language you're transitioning into is syllabic (Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc.). In the event of a silent letter, you may opt for the letter that comes before it as well as using the whole syllable if you so desire.

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:39 pm
暑い : atsui : hot (Japanese)

It was sooo hot today.. I can't wait for winter.

-Edit-
Haha I got ninja'd by Mizu.. Luckily his word ended with an "a" as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:17 am
Incendie - Fire (French)  

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:13 pm
絵本 : ehon : picture book (Japanese)  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:37 pm
熱/Netsu: Fever (Japanese)  

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

Shiina-kun