Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
Recommended Reading/Dewey Decimal System Guide Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have Books on Wicca been helpful in your learning?
  yes, they have!
  not really...
  i don't have any books yet, but i will soon!
View Results

KillerQueen Bash

5,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:18 am
User Image
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft, Third Edition by Denise Zimmerman is a great resource for beginners. It has lots of information for beginners, and has informational parts on both Eclectic and Traditional paths. I recommend this book for beginners who have an interest in Wicca but are not knowledgeable on the subject. My only issue is that it uses 'Wiccan' and 'witch' interchangeably.

Credit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:05 pm
Thanks!! biggrin  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

raging-earth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:41 am
I'm falling even more in love with you, letting go all I've held onto...

I highly recommend The Temple of Witchcraft series by Christopher Penczak. Not only does is give a straightforward approach to spell work, but it also breaks ideas down into both spiritual and scientific concepts. I also love the various meditation exercises it has.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for Egyptian spirituality and magic?

...I'm standing here until you make me move, I'm hanging by a moment here with you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:54 am
If you're Anglo-Saxon and looking for a way to reconnect with your heritage, I highly suggest Travels Through Middle Earth: The Path of a Saxon Pagan by Alaric Albertsson--a friend of Christopher Penczak, which may mean something to you if you've read his works. It's a very recent book; I believe it came out this year.

Pros:
How ancient Saxon beliefs are coded into the English language.
How to make homemade mead. (And not just simple honey-water mead, he also gives brief details on cysers and melomels and the like)
Explanation of the concept of wyrd.
Outlines of husles and rites of passage, though note that he means for you to use your own words.
Explanation of drycraeft (druidcraft) and related craefts.

Another possible Pro to this book is that Alaric is from the United States, so he knows a lot more about the mannerisms and such.

Cons:
Contains misinformation about Wicca, so regardless of whether you are or are not Wiccan, don't take all of it to heart; though there are a few things which I believe were correct.
It's a pretty short book, so it may leave you wanting for a bit more.

And that's all I can think of at the moment. I hope I've helped someone with this. ;D

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100

raging-earth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:17 pm
I just finished Elemental Witch by Tammy Sullivan and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I definitely recommend this book for those who have already begun their path. I don't think it would be as well absorbed for beginners, however, because some of the information is a little iffy. But I do like the concept of concentrating your path on an element that you feel most aligned with. Most books that I've read insist on having an elemental balance, which I always viewed as somewhat ridiculous.

So I definitely recommend Elemental Witch, but believe it should come with a small grain of salt warning, like many books of this type need.

...i'm drawing my own history.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:54 pm
You guys heard of a book called "Hedge Witch?"  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:53 pm
raging-earth
I just finished Elemental Witch by Tammy Sullivan and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I definitely recommend this book for those who have already begun their path. I don't think it would be as well absorbed for beginners, however, because some of the information is a little iffy. But I do like the concept of concentrating your path on an element that you feel most aligned with. Most books that I've read insist on having an elemental balance, which I always viewed as somewhat ridiculous.

So I definitely recommend Elemental Witch, but believe it should come with a small grain of salt warning, like many books of this type need.

...i'm drawing my own history.

I have this book. I think it's absolutely useless and a waste of paper. I would never recommend it. Just crap... it's essentially just some waffling on the elements as seen by the author.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:55 pm
Azareas Aquarinus

Author?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:26 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus

Author?

I'm thinking maybe the one by Rae Beth, but not sure.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:36 am
ncsweet
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus

Author?

That's the one!  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:39 am
Azareas Aquarinus
ncsweet
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus

Author?

That's the one!

All I know about it is that it's also marketted as "way of the Wiccan" or something. Hedgecraft and Wicca being very different forms of witchcraft! However the actual value of its content as basic witchcraft I don't know, as I haven't done more than flick through it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:55 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus
ncsweet
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus

Author?

That's the one!

All I know about it is that it's also marketted as "way of the Wiccan" or something. Hedgecraft and Wicca being very different forms of witchcraft! However the actual value of its content as basic witchcraft I don't know, as I haven't done more than flick through it.

The "Village Witch", a woman I met a few weeks ago, who set up her own business as a local spiritual healer, fortune teller and Shaman. She recommended for me to read it, since when I talked to her about my path she seemed to think it would be a good book for me.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:14 am
Azareas Aquarinus

The "Village Witch", a woman I met a few weeks ago, who set up her own business as a local spiritual healer, fortune teller and Shaman. She recommended for me to read it, since when I talked to her about my path she seemed to think it would be a good book for me.

Well yes, but note that she refers to herself as a "shaman".  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:27 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus

She's very experienced in Witchcraft, and she practices in the old ways of the Craft.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:37 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus

She's very experienced in Witchcraft, and she practices in the old ways of the Craft.

How do you know?  
*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces