Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
To be a little more Aussie ... *dreamy sigh* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

New poll!
  Whoop! *slides down poll*
  *mollests poll for 10g*
View Results

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:41 pm
FuzzylilPenguin
BeMuled MissBeth
I'm asking this question before I forget, then I'll go back and read all the responses from the last question.

What exactly is 'The Wet'? Is that your autumn? I imagine it's the time of year when you experience the most rainfall, but what season would it be in North American terms?

Well in North America we usually dont call it the wet, its usually just Spring**when all the flowers bloom and it starts to get warm** **fall=Autum leaves fall** Summer** um hot lol very pretty!** Winter** best of all, when the snow falls**

It ususally rains most in spring though smile

*coughs and clears throat, then points to profile* I'm Canadian, dear. I know what spring, fall, winter and summer are. *winks and smiles* But thanks anyway, mate. It's appreciated.

Okay, I just finished buying the three Crocodile Dundee movies (don't throw anything at me, I know Paul is nothing but a tall poppy, but I still like the films!) ... now, there are things that irked me about the slang they used in the movie because I was sure they got it wrong ... but maybe I'm the clueless one. So, I'm gonna fire away and you guys can clear it up for me. 4laugh

They use the term 'dunny' in the movie a lot for indoor plumbing. However, I was positive that a dunny was what we of the north would call an outhouse. Meaning an outdoor toilet in a small wooden structure ... usually not pleasant things to use. Am I mixed up about this?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:46 pm
Crocodile Dundee? *twitch*

Dunny = Toilet.

Usually outhouse, but not exclusively... lot's of people use "dunny" for indoor toilets as well...

Random fact: My cousins in Manly had an outhouse... but no-one used it because of the spiders & such... that & there was what would technically be an "indoor" toilet in a room just outside the house (or... technically it's not quite inside & not quite outside...) dunno what they have now, they renovated recently & I haven't seen it yet.

JewelsSparkle

EmWah
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:07 pm
FuzzylilPenguin
BeMuled MissBeth
I'm asking this question before I forget, then I'll go back and read all the responses from the last question.

What exactly is 'The Wet'? Is that your autumn? I imagine it's the time of year when you experience the most rainfall, but what season would it be in North American terms?

Well in North America we usually dont call it the wet, its usually just Spring**when all the flowers bloom and it starts to get warm** **fall=Autum leaves fall** Summer** um hot lol very pretty!** Winter** best of all, when the snow falls**

You think we're stoopid? That we don't know what the 4 seasons are? Tisk tisk. Silly American Rabbit.

MOST of Australia experiences the 4 seasons, just like the rest of the world that falls in temperate zones. SO DON'T THINK WE DON'T KNOW MAN mad

The Wet only happens in FAR NORTH, as has been already said. And that's not where the population is. Australias population is concentrated on the East Coast and SOUTH of the country, because far north Australia is just a bit too inhospitable for comfort.

The Wet has no translation to North American seasons. It's pretty much just a monsoon seaon. And we all know what that is, don't we?

Warm, wet. Not spring. Not winter, not ANYTHING. Just the wet.

So please, in the future, don't assume we know as little about your country as you do about ours.

We's smart people stare  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:36 am
EmWah
FuzzylilPenguin
BeMuled MissBeth

You think we're stoopid? That we don't know what the 4 seasons are? Tisk tisk. Silly American Rabbit.

MOST of Australia experiences the 4 seasons, just like the rest of the world that falls in temperate zones. SO DON'T THINK WE DON'T KNOW MAN mad

The Wet only happens in FAR NORTH, as has been already said. And that's not where the population is. Australias population is concentrated on the East Coast and SOUTH of the country, because far north Australia is just a bit too inhospitable for comfort.

The Wet has no translation to North American seasons. It's pretty much just a monsoon seaon. And we all know what that is, don't we?

Warm, wet. Not spring. Not winter, not ANYTHING. Just the wet.

So please, in the future, don't assume we know as little about your country as you do about ours.

We's smart people stare

Someone is drunk. And I wouldn't say we're smarter either. Our TV screens are smeered end to end with American TV, so we know a lot about them and their country. They know squat about us, because frankly whore cares, and it's not rubbed in their noses every evening from from 7pm till 6am.  

WellzY
Crew

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:38 am
I'm glad to see I wasn't included in the scolding. 4laugh It's not like you guys live under rocks down there. I don't get why people assume that you know so little about everyone else. stare

Anywho, thanks for clearing up the dunny issue!

Now, there was another question I was going to ask ... oh, I remember! Doggone memory ... honestly. sweatdrop I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached so tight.

The Gold Coast. I've heard a lot about it, but I want to weed out fact from fiction. Now, many of my mates have told me the Gold Coast is lovely, but don't go to any of the shops there because they'll rip you off ... especially if you're foriegn. But I've heard others tell me it would definitely be a worthwhile visit, tourist hot spot or not. The beach, I've been informed, is gorgeous, as are the people (as long as their Aussie ... that's something else I've been told that I'd find no finer body than that of a native of Australia on the beach).

However, I've heard there's a darker side to the Gold Coast. That people there aren't as friendly as throughout the rest of Oz, that you don't even want to park too close to an expensive car lest something bad happen to you because there are supposedly a number of mafia members there.

So I want to know the truth about the Gold Coast from anyone who's actually been there and knows something about it. Most of what I've heard has come from the mouths of people who haven't even set eyes on the place, they just recite what they've been told by other people.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:37 pm
THE WET: Its cyclone season.... its in summer... SO in American terms its the monsoon or it would be winter, when it happens

where I live (toWNSVILLE) we have 2 season..... summer and not so hot

GOLD COAST: Okay I have been there, last year in september...

The beach well its the same as what it is like where i live except it has waves.
We stayed on the beach.... Now the shops arn't tooo badly priceded... some are different to others, and they sell the same3 things (survineers and such) the shops are open to really late which is a good thing...

most of my nights were spent on the mall at the shops. They have a few cops around.... There were a few sort of weird type people, but u don't look at them....

i think u might be talking about brisbane... (no offense) but when I went to Brissy I didn't like it.. it was just too weird...  

Lilah-Clover

EmWah
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:44 pm
BeMuled MissBeth
(as long as their Aussie ... that's something else I've been told that I'd find no finer body than that of a native of Australia on the beach).

Native of Australia... Do you mean an aboriginal person or just someone who was born here?

Anyway, yeah, we're pretty hot.

Other than that I don't know anything about the Gold Coast, as I've never been there.

And sorry about getting angsty about that other thing. It just really offends me when people think we're stupid. One girl had the nerve to PM me on gaia and ask me how I knew how to speak english so well. I mean, WTF. Give us a break. Just because our national image is based on Crocodile Dundee, doesn't mean we're actually like that. Plus, Mick Dundee wasn't stupid either xp Just a bit uncultured.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:26 pm
EmWah
BeMuled MissBeth
(as long as their Aussie ... that's something else I've been told that I'd find no finer body than that of a native of Australia on the beach).

Native of Australia... Do you mean an aboriginal person or just someone who was born here?

Anyway, yeah, we're pretty hot.

Other than that I don't know anything about the Gold Coast, as I've never been there.

And sorry about getting angsty about that other thing. It just really offends me when people think we're stupid. One girl had the nerve to PM me on gaia and ask me how I knew how to speak english so well. I mean, WTF. Give us a break. Just because our national image is based on Crocodile Dundee, doesn't mean we're actually like that. Plus, Mick Dundee wasn't stupid either xp Just a bit uncultured.

eek gonk

Oh dear lord...

Although my favourite was when I was a kid & at a park with my family & some friends & these BIG (like HUGE) American girls came up & started asking us some really weird questions "Do yew yews the werd NERD heyar?" & other random stuff...
All was well & good until they started harrassing my little brother Johnny (who was only about 4 at the time)... at one point saying "Hay JAAANNY, Ye'wanna come beck to Ahmerucuh with eers?"
Johnny's terrified response: " eek crying No!"

JewelsSparkle

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:52 am
I've never been to the Gold Coast, but I think that it would be best not to dissmiss any of them, but not to take too many of them seriously either.

It is a very large tourist spot, so watch out for being jibbed.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:16 pm
You speak english fine, and have the coolest friken accent!

I have a question, do people from new zeland have a different accent then people from australia, my friend said that they did but I thought I would ask you! ninja  

FuzzylilPenguin

EmWah
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:01 pm
FuzzylilPenguin

I have a question, do people from new zeland have a different accent then people from australia, my friend said that they did but I thought I would ask you! ninja

Yup, they sure do.

It's really just the pronounciation of the vowels that's different. Like... they say fush and chups instead of fish and chips xp  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:01 pm
EmWah
FuzzylilPenguin

Yup, they sure do.

It's really just the pronounciation of the vowels that's different. Like... they say fush and chups instead of fish and chips xp

And "six" is pronopunced "sux"...

Lol, when I was at McDonalds we had a NZ manager named Quinton (later we had another NZ guy work there... also named Quinton... how odd...) & someone was picking on him & pretending not to understand what he meant by "the sux timuh!", until Quinton eventually got really frustrated & yelled out:
"SUX! SUX! The numbah betwoin Fuive & Suhvun! SUX!" Lol... it was so cute.

My fiance's brother-in-law's a Kiwi too... which is always funny...

JewelsSparkle

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:34 pm
I find Kiwi's can have varying accents. Some are really strong, and some are barely noticable. I only found out the other day that one of my Uni friends is from New Zealand. After hearing it, you can really tell, but otherwise I didn't even notice.

I've always wandered about the difference between Canadian and US accents. The only majour difference I could ever discern was the whole 'about' thing. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:40 am
WellzY
I find Kiwi's can have varying accents. Some are really strong, and some are barely noticable. I only found out the other day that one of my Uni friends is from New Zealand. After hearing it, you can really tell, but otherwise I didn't even notice.

I've always wandered about the difference between Canadian and US accents. The only majour difference I could ever discern was the whole 'about' thing. xd

Canadian accents are (generally) softer on the ears than American accents... that's the main difference.  

JewelsSparkle

FuzzylilPenguin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:26 pm
I have a canadian friend who I always tell that he has a cool accent, I've only heard one though, I never thought I had an accent but I guess I do have one to people that do have one eh?
My bf had told me that people from new zeland talk way diff then aussies. I jsut though I would ask cause I personaly like the australian accent, everyone at school wonders how I know weather its australian or british, its not all that heard to tell , you just have to listen carefully.

Another question just cause-
What is your fav candy and food?
And whats your favorite American food/ candy?

Just a random question, I am curious razz
Ive gota go to the optamotrist , there gona dailate my eye balls I bet sad Bleh Well I am off for now, talk to ya later.
Thanks for awnsering my questions smile  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces