Welcome to Gaia! ::

The School of Dedicated Roleplayers [closed]

Back to Guilds

A general roleplay guild with emphasis on improving RPers. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Tutoring, School, School of Dedicated Role Players, RPing 

Reply The School of Dedicated Role Players
Sang Sur La Mer [h|na] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tunes14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:48 am
User Image
User Image

Hey, Chris. Chris looked up quickly and turned around to get a better view of the person speaking to him. As soon as he saw Jas standing there, his eyes lit up and a huge grin spread across his face. "Jas!" Chris shot up from the chair and attacked his old friend in a hug that was, per usual, completely unsympathetic to the pain it may cause for Jas.

He let Jas from the hug and, while still holding his shoulders, looked him over.
                                          "Well, you sure grew up! Getting a lot of fishing done, I see." He made reference to an old joke. After Chris's mother had taken him from Sangsable, they continued to keep contact through letters. When Jas had mentioned his cane for the first time, Chris had made a comment about it being more than a crutch - it could be anything, like maybe a fishing rod. He had jokingly told Jas to just tie some string to it and if it can catch a fish, then he can honestly say that it is a fishing rod, if questioned, instead of a cane. He had never meant for Jas to do so, of course, but he did his darnedest to sound convincing in the letters.

Suddenly, the man returned to the table with a tray of food.
                                          "Ah, dinner!" He exclaimed before the man could speak. "Sit down, Jas - let's eat. You're more than welcome to it, but I will probably order another in that case. As a matter of fact", he turned toward the man, "please bring me another meal - just like this one. Thank you." Chris sat down hard in the chair and turned back to Jas, and continued without waiting for the man to get a word in edgewise. "How have you been, old friend?" He stuffed the notebook back into his bag and picked up the fork.

User Image

PLACEHOLDERMeeting Place PLACEHOLDER Jas PLACEHOLDER Excited

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:59 pm
User Image
User Image
                                          “Dinner shall be ready in ten minutes, Captain. Will you be taking supper in the dining hall, or shall I bring it to your private quarters?”

Hester groaned inwardly as she heard the question. There was nothing more that she hated more than dining in the hall among everyone and being catered to. It was just a political move to mingle among everyone and waste her time. When she went to them she felt that there was so much more that she could be doing at the time. Like taking care of her ship. Usually she took her meals in her study so she could pour over all the paper work that seemed to never stop coming in. However, they finally made port and many of the guest were leaving so she knew that she was going to have to go and show her face and say her good byes to everyone. She smiled over at Mr. Twitch and nodded her head, "I'll be dining in the hall this evening, Mr. Twitch. I shall be there shortly, there are just a few things I still need to do. Thank you." She nodded her head towards him as he took his leave and she looked ahead at the front of her ship. Watching as her men ran about and putting everything in order as well as preparing for a quick departure as she never liked delays when needing to get up in the skies.

Her men moved swiftly under her gaze as she was suddenly reminded of when she had first walked upon this ship, a new young captain and female at that. Everything did not run smoothly as one would think, Hester had to first gain the trust and respect from her men. They may not be a pirate ship but the captain still had to prove themselves to their crew. They had to know that they could trust her with their lives and she had to know that she could trust them with hers. She had first began to gain their trust with their first victory as a crew together. They had taken down a pirate ship and brought the captives back to the capital with pride and new found ambition. It was the thrill of the hunt that they all craved when it came down to it and over the years, they learned how to work with one another. How to become that one single unit that built on each others strengths. Hester was proud of her crew and still is, she could not see herself going out to sea or skies without anyone else. It brought a soft smile to her lips as she watched her crew work, all their familiar faces as only a handful have passed away since she took over. Her gaze then turned to her second as he came up with a few papers in his hand.

Hester quickly took them and read over them, thankful that she did not have to sign off on anything so far. It was just a list of what they were short on, an inventory for the whole ship. They were pretty much low on everything since they took how much they would need for the trip as well as a little extra encase of any emergencies. Though some things were not as important as others."Send out a few men to pick up these things. However, get one of the prisoners to go out and help pick up the other things that are not that important." She said as she handed the list back to her second. "One of the prisoners, Captain?" He asked a bit confused since the prisoners should stay on board. Hester nodded, "Yes, I need to keep as many men aboard should anything happen. They may take breaks in different shifts and by tomorrow morning everyone should be ready to leave. I also want you to join me for dinner. It's about time I don't suffer alone." She chuckled towards the end as her second rolled his eyes. He had gone to every dinner in her place since they departed for Moore Town. "I will go give the orders and then I will see you at dinner, Captain."

Hester nodded and then walked away from the wheel and making her way to her room. Once there she then put on her formal uniform and checked herself in the mirror, making sure that everything was in place before heading out of her room. It felt stuffy and stiff inside the uniform as it had many layers and was made of thick material but it was expected of her to wear it and the only comfort she found was the sword at her hip. As she walked in she took her seat at the front and nodded towards Mr. Twitch. "How is the staff fairing this evening, Mr. Twitch?" She asked quietly as she sat down and placed her napkin in her lap while she listened to his reply, thankful that she did not have to worry about them anymore. As he took his leave, her second came and took his seat next to her as they made small talk among each other and the wealthy guest who were staying on board. Once dessert and coffee was being served, Hester stood up to address the whole room, after being nudged to do so by her second. "I just wanted to thank everyone for traveling with us and I hope your stay was pleasant and relaxing. I would also like to say that I sure on the behalf of everyone on this ship, we would like to say thank you to Mr. Twitch who has really turned the staffing around and has been a major part in every guests' stay here." She tilted her head towards him with a smile before sitting back down and finishing her dessert. Only too thankful to shake the hand of the last guest and go back to her room to sleep for a few hours.

That though, was not part of the plan. Her orders were clear, she had to make her way to a place in Moore Town to find a map. This map was very important and would be the turning point in this war around in their favor. Hester quickly put her hat on as she walked out side and nodded to her second. He knew about the plan, he was to stay aboard to look after the ship while she went with trusted me to the location that only Hester knew of. The two parted ways without another word and her men fell in behind her as she walked off the ship and through the streets of Moore Town. It was going to be a long night.
                                          User Image

Chef Of Sweets

Dangerous Lover

angeldenoche

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:05 pm
___Jas Astrin_____

User Image

“It’s ugh...” Anything that Jas may have been about to say was suddenly crushed from his lungs as Chris wrapped him in a rather strong and enthusiastic embrace. When Chris finally did release him, Jas tried again, “Chri-” but was denied a second time as his friend rushed on in his assessment.

He was the one who had grown up? Chris had been only nine last time Jas had seen him. If either of them had “grown up” it was Chris. Yes, Chris had indeed grown up much since the last time they had enjoyed the others’ company. No longer was he the small child who tagged along in his brothers’ games for want of a companion his actual age, but instead a man who had actually grown a bit taller than Jas. And from all accounts that Jas could tell, into a fine, strong, young man who the girls no doubt fawned over.

Chris made quick work with the waiter as Jas sat himself, rather heavily, in a chair, grimacing as a fresh arrow of pain lanced through his leg. He had long ago given up the need to pretend it didn’t hurt. He rubbed at the old injury, trying to massage out muscles which seemed rather intent on the plan to cramp up and be a general nuisance. And of course it would have to be this night, too.

“I’ve been... Jas paused for a moment as he considered the question. Just how had he been? “I’ve been learning this whole making it on your own isn’t as glamorous as I thought it would be,” he admitted ruefully, stilling rubbing at his leg. If there was anyone in this world he could be upfront and honest with, it was Chris. “But if this is the price to be paid to get out of the mines once and for all, I'll take it. How long are you here for?”

______”And the ocean she understands
Just the man I could be”
____

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:02 pm
User Image
User Image

It was late in the night by the time the tiny specks of light appeared far off into the distance of the Absolute Bearing. It was land, and it was still several hours away. It would take them the rest of the night at their current speed for them to reach port.

Personally, Gerald could have cared less about the land masses below them. Sure, the twinkling lights were pretty to watch, but he liked it best up here, where he felt free and the wind was in his face. He was once again at the prow of the ship, for the moment, watching the darkening clouds pass through their colors and setting into the dark blue grey of night.

He stifled a yawn as he contemplated what he has done during the day. So far, the strange object behind them was a little farther, the current's of the wind they were on being much faster. Gerald wondered what it was, but quickly dismissed it as nothing more than a strange whisper from the winds. Then his thoughts drifted to the first time he was permitted to steer the vessel. He wondered how Roy managed to make it look so easy. He felt like he was fighting a great beast. Maybe if he gained more practice it might become easier. Roy had to correct him several times, but he was strangely easy about it.

It wasn't long before Gerald grew tired of watching the far away lights. They didn't do anything more than twinkle through the night sky now. He had a busy day so far, and his eyes started to request some sleep. He was in no mood to complain either, not after he had mopped one of the many decks. It was surprising how few people seemed willing to do such a simple task, but Gerald wished to help were and when he could. After all, once they wind was in their sails, and their direction laid out, there wasn't much else for Gerald to seemingly do.

He stood up from his leaned out position over the prow he had taken to lean into the wind, and gave a stretch of his arms as he did so. A chill was starting to settle in as the night air cooled off, but it wasn't cold either. It felt nice to Gerald, and he gave the winds a thankful smile. With that, he turned around, waving a few fingers as goodnight to the wind before slowly making his way to his room, which was his and his alone. Not entirely by choice, as he once had roommates. However, they complained about him and requested they be, what was that word again, bunked? Yes. Bunked in a different room from him. Once more, it mattered not to Gerald. He liked the extra space, and the ability to keep his window open, didn't they call it a porthole? They always have such strange names for things.

On his way through the halls of the ship, he noticed much of the crew seemed to have similar ideas as Gerald did, as they started shifting to their own rooms. Some people would keep watch, which made Gerald feel a little safe. After all, if no one steered the ship, who knows where it might go?

User Image

Tesunie

15,100 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Trance Harper

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:33 am
User Image
User Image
                                        Moore. Her lamp lights flickered on the horizon, spotting like fireflies in the mist that had begun to rise off the sea. There was still some ways to go before the Bearing would glare down over the harbour like a great bird of prey, stalking her citizens as they ran in fear. The ship was known throughout Aether by now, even towns like Moore where the Coalition presence was thin and its influence minimal knew to fear her shadow should it cross their streets. Of course, to the tall man that leaned on the railing, his gaze cast off the starboard side of the ship, Moore meant so much more to him.

Moore was home, or could have been home had he stayed with his father and mother when they'd sought work in a city that still needed seabourne ships rather than the likes of the airbourne monstrosities that had begun to patrol and rule the skies. As his father said, ships were made for the sea, and man was made to sail, and when we grew wings only then ought we fly; for even in a tempest a man can still swim, what will you do when you fall from the sky? William had seen men fall from the sky, and Roy had pushed them. The Bearing, he trusted, would not let him fall.

Roy watched the wisp of a man that was Gerald as the teen hung precariously from the prow of the ship. Given how frequently he did so, Roy was well beyond worry. The boy had done rather well with the ship earlier in the day, though it was clear the little blond hadn't the heart nor hardly the will to command the ship as he did. It was one thing to merely turn the wheel, and quite another to feel the beast underhand and contend with her for sovereignty. Perhaps it was due to Gerald's limited experience in life, never having had to truly fight for his life, to kill to save himself. Then again, Roy preferred it that way. There were only a few onboard, Gerald being one, Fleur being another, that were still pure, unstained by the blood of another - the first mate liked to keep it that way.

"Collins, take the helm. I need words with the captain." Rob Roy called to the man nearest him, who had been half-asleep and might as well be given a task to keep his eyes open. Should he drift back to dreamland Roy would feel it, the way he felt all the shifts the ship took, the way he felt her take matters into her own hands when she thought no one was watching. Captain Rijindael had been harboured away in his cabin like a recluse for near a week and it was high time, Roy thought, that his intentions be made clear, at least to his master of sail and first mate.

Passing the communications hub, Roy notice Fleur still awake with her fingers on the dials and her earpieces firmly situated on her head, as if they never went anywhere else. At some point he would insist she sleep, but he appreciated her focus and perseverance, her dedication to the waves. With only a knock to announce himself, Roy pushed his way into the captain's cabin, using the little-known half turn quarter back and pull combination that often unlocked the door. Upon entering, Roy couldn't help but let one hand fall to his pistol, just in case Rijindael had really lost his wits.

It was dark, lit only by starlight and the electric lamp that winked in the hall behind him. It smelled odd, like parchment, dust, and frankincense. Moreover wine, as though it had been spilled and soaked up by the floorboards. The light glinted off a shiny globe situated on the center of the large desk in the back of the room; Rijindael's clean shaven head, face-down on the lacquered surface. Roy did now draw his weapon and cast his eyes suspiciously around the room, closing the cabin door to eliminate his silhouette in the doorway. No sound, no breath, no stranger hidden and waiting in some dark corner of the room. With utmost caution, Roy approached to the collapsed figure and slowly reached for the vein on the man's neck.

"Don' disturb a man in prayer, tis rare bad luck." The cold whispery voice saw Roy's hand quickly withdraw before having made contact. After another moment, the captain shifted his head so that one dark eye could squint up at his first mate. "Ah Mister Pierce, what time is it?"

"Captain... the hour is late but we are bringing to bear on Moore." The face turned away again and the near bald man began tapping his fingers on the surface of the desk. "Rijindael, what are we doing here? Moore is near as useless as a wife in a whorehouse; she's got little in the way of spoils and nothing we can't get for less trouble elsewheres."

Before he could inquire further or insist on some answer from the captain, the man leaped up from his chair wildly as if suddenly roused to arms. "Aha, it's a mystery isn't it! A mysterious mystery, but nevertheless. Bringing to bear you say? Well then, that is well then. Where did I put that bag?" The man began to rummage around the room in a near frenzy, speaking gibberish for all that Roy could understand him. "Pardon?"

"No, no pardon. We're pirates aren't we? We do not give pardon. Ah, here it is." Hardly breaking stride, Rijindael strapped a large rucksack around his shoulders and waist, much to Roy's confusion, and ran to the window to throw wide the shutters. Propping himself up with both hands, the man clambered into the window frame as if to hurl himself from the ship.

"Rijindael, what are you doing?"

"Don't you worry about it, I know what I'm doing. As for you; find the map. And don't worry, it'll be the only map worth finding. I'll see you when you get there." Before Roy could object, Rijindael pulled a tricorne hat over his hairless head and launched himself out the window. Flabbergasted, the tall man ran to the opening and looked down in time to see a white sail disappear into the darkness below. A parachute?

Roy found a switch to the electric lamp nearest the captain's desk and noticed, having the light now to see, that much of the captain's belongings had disappeared from the cabin. On the desk lay a diagram and map covered in scribbles and assorted notes, transcripts of radio conversations and nonsense. Shuffling through it all, Roy determined that whatever this map was that they were meant to find, it would see a turning point in the fight against the Coalition. This information was not taken firsthand, but gleaned and stolen from the Coalition, who had also dispatched a ship to intercept the map.

Roy's lip curled at the prospect. The Coalition would never see the Bearing coming, and she would rain down fire before they had a chance to raise their guns to her. If they got to the map first, he would simply tear their ship apart to find it from them. There was the slim chance that they might part with it willingly to spare their ship and crew, but why rob the men of a good fight.

Roy found the captain's private radio and tuned it to Fleur's wave. "Fleur, sound the call to stations and douse all the exterior lights as soon as we are within view of Moore Town. We'll sneak in during the night and get our bearings, and as the dawn breaks, if we haven't found our particular quarry, we'll remind the Coalition why the world fears the Absolute Bearing." It was time for William's reservations about coming to Moore to take the back burner, Rob Roy meant to pillage.
                                        User Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:36 am
User Image
User Image

"Hmm? Wha?...Oh, no," Jas quickly answered, with a shake of his head. "No, no. Not you. Sorry, you can rightfully take blame for a lot of things, Chris, but not this. Leg's been aching all day. And you know my body; always intent on making me a cripple." He chuckled a little as he leaned back in his chair and purposefully lanced his hands behind his head. "Do you have a place you're staying at?"

"Your body was never intent on making you a cripple, Jas. That was your mother - I assure you. And I have no idea what you think I can take blame for, but you shouldn't make a habit of such lies. I am completely innocent; a sure angel." He tried to say it with a straight face, but that was so far beyond the truth that he had a hard time of it and a smile crept it's way into his expression none-the-less. He had certainly done many blameworthy things in his life, although he would still insist to this day that they never truly hurt anyone. And he was well aware that the worst part of his present scenario was that instead of feeling ashamed, he was smiling. Although, even if he could feign humiliation, Jas knew him well enough to see through it anyhow. Why bother?

"But all of that is neither here nor there." He pushed the conversation onward. "The point here is that you are having a rough time in Moore Town and I believe that your luck may improve if you were on an airship. And also, I have no room, so I will be sharing yours tonight. But the arrangements for your trip on board the C.S.S. Grogram have all been taken care of and all I need is your figurative signature and we can be ready for a real adventure. What do you say to THAT proposition?" By saying everything was taken care of, he meant 'had funding', though he wouldn't complain if Jas thought arrangements were made elsewhere either. Assuming the trip went well, Jas probably wouldn't return to Moore Town anytime in the near future anyway - not if Chris could keep him in Banbury-In-Dorchester. He also hoped that the offer to spontaneously hop aboard an airship would distract Jas from the announcement about intruding on his room for the night...

Jas raised an eyebrow. "You? An angel? Innocent?" A grin slowly spread across his face, echoing Chris' and Jas couldn't help but laugh. "You are as innocent as the mud on your face. And you, my friend, spend more time swimming in it than a pot bellied pig...And what is this about a figurative signature? What sort of finaggling are you going on about this time? I told you once I wouldn't fit in your suitcase and I definitely won't now. I don't care how many airholes you put in the darn thing or how you plan to reattach my legs afterward."

Chris burst out laughing when Jas laughed. He hadn't laughed like that since he left Sangsable - and that was a sad truth that was not lost on Chris, even as he tried to catch his breath from the outburst.

"Oh, come now!" He lectured as soon as he had the breath to do so. "I have grown since I came up with plans of that sort. Now I - I -", he stuttered as the laugh started back, "-understand that it's far better to slip you into one of the larger cargo the crew put on before the trip!" He knew it was bad form to laugh at his own joke, but he couldn't resist. He had forgotten what it was like to talk to Jas in person. To have anyone around who really knew him, actually. He had a few acquaintances at the facility, but none he could honestly say was a friend.

"Alright, but in all seriousness. I was hoping for you to join me on the next trip the Grogram takes. It leaves in the morning and since the facility paid for my trip, I have enough in my savings to take you along with me. Literally all you have to do is say you will come."

Laughter reigned at the dining table. Jas hung his head, looking at his best friend from across his brow line, shaking his head. Trust Chris to have a backup plan like that. Oh, it felt good to laugh. It was good to see Chris laughing. It was good to hear his laughter. It was just plain good to be with his friend again.

As the laughter began to subside, their waiter came back with a large bowl of chowder. "Triss said it's on the house tonight," he said, placing it down before Jas.

"Give her my thanks," Jas replied with a nod, then turned his attention back to Chris and to the more important matter at hand. Was he leaving Moore with Chris come the morn? To be on an airship like his brothers. To be with Chris and no longer alone. It would be a good break of pace from what had become his life here. And who knew what other opportunities might come up along the way?

All he had to do what say 'yes'.

"Of course I'll come, my friend. My bag is already packed and ready to go as we speak. Which is good because otherwise this was going to be a short visit. I'm afraid I have a shift to finish at the Inn that I have to get back to. You're welcome to come and hang out until it's done, or I can give you directions to my place."

"That would be wonderful, but as it is, I would still like to have a visit tonight, however short it is. I am in Moore Town, after all. You should join me. Drop the shift - you will be gone in the morning and wont have to deal with the consequences of any of it. Enjoy the night with me." Besides, he still needed Jas if he was going to look for a kalydium storehouse...

Was he? Of course he was serious. It was Chris. Still, Jas' spoon hung in the air midway between his bowl and his mouth. "Chris. I can't just up and not finish the shift. Yes, I won't be coming in tomorrow, but what if I want to come back here after this trip?"

Chris knew that was coming. He also knew that he didn't have a good retort, since Jas would not accept 'Oh, you won't come back because I have a cooler place to take you'. That was the kind of thing he spewed off when he was a child, and it didn't work then either. Granted, it didn't work then in part because he was usually wrong or making it up on the spot to get his way, but regardless of the reason, Chris was sure it would not be an acceptable answer. So he would have to do good talking, whatever excuse he gave. Things were more fun that way anyhow.

"I'll take care of it. Trust me. I told you, the trip is all settled. Do you really think I'd be immature enough to overlook something as basic as a job?" Well that was a dumb question. Of course he did. And rightly so. But if Chris acted offended enough, maybe he could pull it off... "I'm not a child anymore, Jas. I'm crazy, but a genius. And I had the entire trip to Moore Town to plan this out. You're covered. Would I really just abandon you like that? Use that head of yours." Well, he had never abandoned Jas, or any of the group. He often led them into troublesome situations, if they didn't stop him before he had the opportunity, but it was always a code of conduct that if they got into the mess together, they got out of the mess together. Assuming they could get out of the mess at all, that is...

"I'll give you that...You are a mad genius, Chris," Jas allowed, his hand staying once again to rub at his leg. "And it's not working during this trip that I'm worried about. It's the returning to employment after that I need to concern myself with. Unless of course, you've decided that you do indeed want to turn me into your own personal lab rat and have plans unbeknownst to me for after this little venture is over."

"Quit thinking so far ahead, Jas, and leave that sort of thing to mad geniuses like myself, alright? Remember, we geniuses assume that everyone else is too simple-minded to make complex plans of their own, so if you don't want to mess everything up by trying to fix it, just keep it simple, ok?" Since he hadn't had any intention of being in the same place as Jas at the same time before this trip came along, he had made the 'lab rat' comment in jest, and he'd rather leave his honest intentions a secret in case things didn't turn out. So for now, he would keep the whole 'you-will-stay-with-me-in-Banbury-to-be-my-lab-rat' as the joke that it began as. Not that 'lab rat' would be the way he would refer to it when he revealed that he was serious, of course, but that was for another time. He was sure Jas woouldn't turn down the offer later, if Chris still intended to go through with it. But he didn't want to load too much on Jas right at the start.

"But in all seriousness, I won't let you come out of this with trouble. I don't leave friends to struggle alone with my mess. So just trust me and show me where I can find some kalydium around this place."

"Really, Chris?" Jas raised an eyebrow with a slight laugh. "Kalydium? At this hour of night? Aren't you on a ship filled with the stuff?"

Chris groaned. "Yes, Jas, yes. But I can't get my hands on it. Not while I still need to ensure my safety on the ship. Besides, you should know well enough from my letters that I can never get enough of it. If I were the Kalydium Midas, I still wouldn't have enough." If I were the Kalydium Midas, I would have quite a problem, considering how much I have to touch everything... he thought, not sure if he should feel ashamed or proud of the fact. "So what do you say? Know any good places to find kalydium?"

User Image

PLACEHOLDERMeeting Place PLACEHOLDER Jas PLACEHOLDER Excited

Tunes14

angeldenoche

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:53 pm
___Jas Astrin_____

User Image

Jas leaned back in his chair, re-lacing his fingers behind his head. Slowly, he shook his head. Leave it to Chris to be so one-track minded and to assume it was simply a matter of walking in to a place to get what you want. Time to disabuse him of the notion here and now.

"Yes, Chris. I know of some places where kalydium is stored here in Moore. I worked a few of the warehouses when I first got here. Trouble is, they make sure to lock that stuff down nice and tight. You need a captain's orders or higher for the most part to access it. And that's when the docks are actually opened and not closed for the night...And no. I'm not breaking into a warehouse tonight. I forgot my rope and lock picks at home."

Chris frowned. His friend was right, of course. Breaking into a storehouse at night was probably a bad idea - even if he didn't intend to return to Moore Town. If he got caught, he might miss the ship when it leaves in the morning and things would be all sorts of bad for both of them if that happened... But oh, how he would have loved to see it all. Just see it - he wouldn't take much. Maybe a small handful for later observation, but...

"Yes, alright, we won't break in, I suppose. But I would still like to see it. See the storehouse, I mean - in case I ever come back to Moore Town. Don't worry, I won't drag you into it later, if you would prefer to miss the adventure. But either way, seeing the location may be valuable later. And after that, we can wonder the docks and I'll tell you about my journey thus far on the Grogram."

He supposed? Jas felt an eyebrow lift as Chris’ spoke flippantly of breaking into a secured warehouse to obtain one of the most precious elements currently known to man. As if he didn’t have access to as much of the material as his little heart desired being one of the researchers on the development, use, and effects of kalydium Apparently forethought in the planning process was still not his strong suit.

“How about this?” Chris proposed, “How about I show you where the warehouses are and then, instead of just wandering Moore we head back to my place? There are some nice places here that I’m sure you’d love to see, but I’m afraid I won’t be up for much walking here soon.” In fact, just the thought of walking down to the warehouses was enough to make the muscles in his leg cramp in protest. He was going to pay tomorrow for each and every step Chris dragged out of him tonight.

He had thought that since he was getting on the ship for this experiment, he would have easy access to the kalydium there. After all, he was a researcher. He was always allowed access, at least to the store of the material kept at the facility. He was disappointed to find that the ship's crew knew nothing of his research and he, in fact, did not have access to any kalydium during his entire voyage. And he didn't know how long this voyage would last. Depending on what he found on the ship, field experiments like this could conceivably take years. It could be quite some time before he returned to the facility. And each day that went by that he did not see any signs of odd symptoms from the crew reinforced in his mind just how long he could spend simply trying to make the circumstances required for his study. He would not return to the facility without some kind of hypothesis regarding the yet-unexplained symptoms, but so far he hadn't even seen the symptoms he needed to study. And being left with no tasks to accomplish made him feel rather helpless. At least if he had some kalydium to study, he would feel like he was doing something to move things along. So getting his hands on kalydium was increasingly on the forefront of his mind.

Seeing the storehouses, in all honesty, would probably help him more later that night when he couldn't sleep than the time if or when he returned to Moore Town. At least if he was plotting how to break into the storehouses, he would be doing something. Even if it was unsuccessful, he would know he used all resources. The ideal situation would be to actually get his hands on kalydium, but even if he didn't, planning out an attempt to get it would soothe him on a mental level. But he hadn't thought of the effect it would all have on Jas. He tended to overlook his injury. Injuries were always so overdramatized by Jas's mother that Chris naturally learned to balance it out by turning a blind eye. It was hard for him to keep the seriousness of the injury in mind. But with the mention of it, Chris figured it could really put Jas in a lot of pain if he did overdo it. And Chris couldn't deny, he was certainly skilled at overdoing it...

Chris smiled at his friend. "Oh, Jas, really. You intended to finish your work shift on the night of my visit with a leg that hurts that badly? I should have thought further ahead and gotten you out of work for the entire day before my arrival, but I so often forget that your fishing pole has other uses." There were more problems than that with his plan to get Jas off work for the entire day on the exact day that the ship happened to arrive in town, all without knowing where Jas actually worked. But his comment was not meant as a serious possibility, and if it made Jas smile, then the goal was met. "After the visit to the storehouses, you can lead the way wherever you like."

He had intended to go back to finish out his shift hadn’t he? He glanced down at his watch and groaned.His break was due in less than ten minutes. There was simply no way in hell he was making it back there in that amount of time. Brown eyes shifted their glance to look at his childhood friend. Yes, he had fully intended to do the right, mature, and responsible thing by going back and fulfilling his promise to finish out his extended shift. He had intentions right up until the point when....when he had conveniently forgotten. Not even an hour together and already Chris was rubbing off on him again as his mother would now be declaring. He had lost track years ago of how many times he had been accused of “conveniently forgetting” some such or other reason as to why he shouldn’t go out that day and play.

Some things apparently never changed.

Slowly, he began to chuckle to himself, head hanging down as a hand continued to massage his leg. “Oh, Chris,” he said, favoring his friend with a smile, “you did it again.” He leaned back in his chair, still shaking his head slowly back and forth. He would never know what it was about him, but something about Chris always seemed to end up getting him into some sort of trouble; adventure, he silently corrected, without him realizing how he got there in the first place. He let out a sigh. “I’m not going back to work again tonight, am I? Hell, I don’t even know why I’m asking. Should have realized it was useless as soon as I heard you were in town. Of course I’m not. We’ll finish up our meals here, head over to the warehouse district so you can see, and then...Why am I even planning beyond that? You’re here. After that I guess we’ll just see where the night takes us.”

Jas realized there and then that since he was planning on staying around Chris again for who knew how long, he needed to quickly give up any ideas that things could be logically or even rationally planned. Heck, even asking for planning of any kind was expecting a lot. How he was making it as a researcher with his type of impulsive behaviors was beyond him. Maybe time had settled him down a bit.

And maybe pigs flew.

Chris's eyes lit up brighter the more Jas talked. He grinned."That's right. Like I said earlier, leave the planning to us geniuses. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. That's what life is about, after all."

He dug into his food, much more enthusiastic this time. It was so nice to be with Jas again. And it seemed like things had stayed relatively the same. He would be slower-paced now, which Jas would probably be grateful for. But tonight was not the night that new pace would show itself. Not until late, at any rate. Not until he got back to that notebook...

Decision and declaration made, Chris put himself to the task of finishing off his meal. Jas decided to take his meal a bit slower, purposefully working to give his leg as much time as possible before Chris started dragging him all over every inch and cranny of Moore. This was going to be a long night with little rest, he decided.

Yet he also couldn’t deny a certain amount of excitement growing as well. Things were going to change and this time, they actually looked like they were going to change for the better. He was with Chris again and while Chris was no doubt going to get him into all sorts and manner of trouble, he also had a way of always landing on his feet. This just could be his real and actual opporunity to prove everyone back home wrong and to finally make something of himself.

Like Chris said, he just had to sit back and (more or less) enjoy the ride.

Just the man I could be”
____

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:35 am
User Image
                                User Image

Willem "Bury my Bones" Bonham

"Oh it's da witty politics, he says, dey know da right and wrong, what's up from down, don't dey? Oh sure, dey do. Dey got da right stuff all up inside, all rickety-crickety around in da bones, oh bury my bones, in da meat, in da flesh. Dey knows, don't dey? It's what dey says, he says, don't he?

"Shut up, Billy, shut up. I'm not listening to you anymore."

"What's dat, Billy says? Now, now, don't be dat way. Just give us a little more, it's in da map isn't it? Right dere on dat little ickle bit of paper he's got scurried away in his pockets like a rabbit for winter."

"Rabbits don't eat paper, Billy. They don't."

"Dey don't, no dey don't. But Billy, we eat rabbits. And fish, and pigeons, and rats. And we need what's on dat paper, don't we. If you give it away, what happens den Billy? What happens den?"

Willem Bonham abruptly stopped his ungaitly shamble through the filthier streets of Moore and looked at his reflection in a window. The flickering lamp lit his features only just so, casting a strange and alien reflection before him. Eyes that bulged and a face almost reptilian in shape, flesh discoloured and hair growing wildly like he hadn't bathed in months - which, in all honesty, he hadn't. Gasping at the visage, he stumbled back and put a grimy hand to his lips. The monster was only real in the glass, for his own features hadn't yet become so warped.

"What's da matter, Billy? Scared of your own self now, are you?" The reflection cackled. Willem's face twisted in fear and both he and the monster coughed and sputtered, trying to muster speech and failing. Grasping at the wall, Willem tried to pull himself upright and felt around in his pockets for the little bit of treasure he happened to possess. The map. The key. He could trade them for kalydium, just a bit, just enough to pull himself together.

"It's over, Billy. Bury my bones."

Gasping, he felt his lungs pulling but not getting enough air. It had been a long time coming, his body all warped and wasted; he'd never make it long enough. "Don't matter anyway, Billy. Dying here ain't so bad. Feet on the ground, surrounded in muck, like being home, Billy. Like being home." He slouched against the wall, barely feeling the cold stone at his back or the puddle into which he collapsed. With all he could muster he looked up at the sky and tried to make out the stars. "Like being home."

"Bury my bones, Billy."

Trance Harper

Sparkly Fairy

angeldenoche

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:36 pm
___Jas Astrin_____

User Image

“And you should have seen Mom’s face when she found out! It was quite amusing. I didn’t think she could turn that many shades of red,” Jas laughed, as the pair rounded a corner, taking them into the edge of the warehouse district of Moore.

Large and cavernous buildings lined the streets, silent sentinels holding their treasures locked up tight behind steel door and iron lock. Light from the moon and lamp lights danced and reflected in the multi-pane windows, furthering the illusion. The whole place was a pale and unsettling shadow of what this place was like under the bright sun when it was filled with workers moving endless trains of cargo to and fro. Voices and the call of animals, beast and human alike, echoed and bounced down the broad alleyways and off the walls in muffled tones, making it hard to tell which way was which. Shadows wrapped around dark corners and played on the edges of the light.

Jas paused for a moment, leaning down to rub at his leg. He pressed the heel of his hand hard into his muscle and pushed the pain down in even strokes. “The ones you’ll want will be that direction,” he nodded his head down towards the docks. “As luck would have it, they are towards the end of the docks. A special dock had to be arranged to allow for airships to come and take on the supplies...As well to arrange for the added protection from pirates.”

Hopefully Chris would get the reference and understand that even now, at this time of night, there would be guards and those keeping a mindful eye on the kalydium. Just walking past the warehouses would draw attention enough. Ever since the Atlas, security had become a top priority that was treated with the utmost attention to detail. Inwardly, he doubted that even the President was so well protected.

“Like being home....Bury my bones, Billy,” a voice wheezed out from nearby.

Jas only shook his head and sighed as he went to move pass and onward. It was just another drunk in typical Moore. And thank God, something he would not have to deal with here for much longer. He just hoped whoever it was was too drunk to see them and call out for something.

Just the man I could be”
____

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:06 pm
User Image
User Image

"I would have PAID to see that!"Chris laughed as they approached the border of Moore's warehouse district, his laugh sounding much more muddled and less charming as it blended with the haunting sounds around them. He was used to slightly cleaner places in Banbury-In-Dorchester, but wherever he could appease his obsession with kalydium was fine with him.

"The ones you’ll want will be that direction. As luck would have it, they are towards the end of the docks. A special dock had to be arranged to allow for airships to come and take on the supplies...As well to arrange for the added protection from pirates." As Jas leaned down and began rubbing his leg, Chris looked out in the direction of the kalydium warehouse. The number of people around were already beginning to thin out and it seemed as though they only vanished more quickly as the road stretched ahead of him. They would have to carry on quietly, and with Jas's leg already beginning to ache enough to slow him down, getting caught would be bad news. Chris wasn't sure Jas could run away if he needed to... And being caught was always possible and a risk that in this case, he wasn't sure he could afford... He could already feel the disappointment boiling into his chest. Surely there had to be something kalydium-related here in Moore.

"Bury my bones, Billy." Jas must have thought that nearby raspy whisper was as creepy as Chris found it to be, because it seemed to get him moving again. Chris followed close behind, taking a glance at the man as he passed. The man definitely seemed to be in bad shape, poor guy. Of course, it wasn't Chris's concern. But something about the guy had quite a large chunk of his attention. But Chris couldn't quite place what was so interesting about the guy. He stopped walking to eye the man for a moment.

Then it occurred to him.
                                          His skin is the color of kalydium! Chris thought, his breath catching in his chest for a moment. It wasn't really colored so much as tinted with the same shade of grey that the kalydium at the facility had. Maybe he had something to do with Kalydium!

Or, maybe I'm just desperate. Chris decided that this was the most likely option, but for some reason he could not will himself to take his eyes off the man. Then again, desperation is not something one should ignore. He convinced himself, deciding that it wouldn't hurt him to check it out. If the guy didn't have any connection with Kalydium, he could just throw a couple coins at him and be on his way.

"You there! Man!" Chris called out as he made his way toward him.

User Image

PLACEHOLDERWarehouse District PLACEHOLDER Jas PLACEHOLDER Obsessive

Tunes14

Trance Harper

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:29 am
User Image
                                User Image

Willem "Bury my Bones" Bonham

"The ones you’ll want ... luck ... end of the docks ... for airships ... protection from pirates.”

"Pirates, Billy. Remember da pirates?"

"Shut up, Billy. Just let me die without no pirates, without no fool's gold, without no rickets and bilges and bloody ships as sails on skies for seas."

"What about da map Billy?"

"What about it?" His voice was still low and his body still slumped, but his hands fished with new found energy, scurrying to find the precious bit of sodden parchment folded up in his inner breast pocket. He had to be sure it was still there. Pirates would steal it from him, coppers would take it too. He meant to give it away. No, he meant to take it with him to the next life.

"Dey'll find it on your body, Billy. Dem pirates always finds the shine and the gold, and dey puts it in your food and in your flesh and makes you nothing left but bones."

"No..." Willem didn't like the sounds of that, with what little life he had left. This map had to go away, had to be destroyed, burned up or drowned out. If he could get himself to the sea, it could drown with him, but the water's edge was so far away... he'd never make it. "A curse it is, a curse."

"You there! Man!" Willem jerked a little, twitched more accurately, at the voice calling loudly down the street. It could be nobody, it could be coppers, it could be pirates. Maybe they didn't see him, but then again maybe they could. They'd want the map, he knew it, everyone wanted the map, even when they didn't.

"Dat's the way of it, Billy, bury my bones." Willem Bonham gasped, a snuffling sound choked by phlegm and a body too broken to work right. He tried to pull out the map, to tear it up into little pieces that no one would be able to use, but his hands didn't work right; the fingers wouldn't close the way they should. "A curse, 'tis."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:22 pm
___Jas Astrin_____

User Image

Oh, for the love of all that was holy....

Jas groaned as Chris made a rather abrupt turn and suddenly decided it was a good idea to speak to a drunkard in Moore. It was a good way to get shot and robbed, that’s what it was.

“Chris!” Jas called out, trying vainly to keep up with Chris’ longer and more sure stride. “Not a good idea!”

And this was why he was always getting into trouble back in ye old days. If they were lucky, Chris would only have to deal with throw up on his shoes. If they were unlucky, the man would turn out to be stooge and there would be a gang of four to five men waiting to rob and kill them. Please let it be just a lone drunk, he silently prayed.

Chris was far too far ahead for Jas to stop him. Even with the extra reach of his cane, it would never work. Chris would just brush him off and head right off down that darkened alley without a second thought. Apparently he still thought it was invulnerable.

“I really would rather not die today,” Jas grumbled to himself, looking about to see if there were any signs of danger or, as more likely to be needed, help. He cursed as he spotted neither. The former didn’t surprise him, some of the gangs here were so skilled they could be standing in front of you at high noon and you wouldn’t see them. The latter, was just apparently missing.

“I swear, if I die because of this I’m going to haunt you so badly...” The threat lingered in the air as Jas continued to follow his friend, though what assistance he could offer if aid were needed, he hadn’t the slightest idea. Maybe he could trip them and glare at them in a really threatening manner.

And maybe hell would freeze over and he’d be able to run again.

Either way, they were committed now.

Just the man I could be”
____

angeldenoche

Tunes14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:59 pm
User Image
User Image

"Dat's the way of it, Billy, bury my bones. A curse, 'tis." What was that man muttering about...? Probably the cruelties of life. Poor chap - the cruelest part was that he had such a perspective to contend with. If Chris had any control of his own life at all, he would NEVER become so hopeless and pitiful. Even if he were infected by kalydium and rotting on the ground of an alley in Moore - or even worse in Sangsable. Still he would rather be caught mumbling about his imaginary kalydium and talking to walls or pitying the dead grass before mumbling about curses...

"Chris! Not a good idea!" Chris looked back at Jas, lagging behind as usual. But he didn't really have the time nor the will to wait for him. "It'll be quick; watch my back!" Chris called back to him. That should keep him busy...

Chris approached the man. "You, sir - do you happen to have any experience on an airship?" Chris figured that he would be hard-pressed to find someone in Moore who was not frequently on an airship but had been in close enough proximity to kalydium for long enough to have side effects. After all, he as a researcher, had no signs of any side effects and he worked directly with kalydium rather regularly. He used a variety of safety procedures, of course, but he couldn't imagine anyone working in Moore stocking warehouses with kalydium often enough to be more effected than himself. So if this man had any kind of adverse kalydium effects, then he was almost certain to have frequented airships.

User Image

PLACEHOLDERWarehouse District PLACEHOLDER "Billy" PLACEHOLDER Intrigued

The School of Dedicated Role Players

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas