Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
When the teachers of schools 'txt tlk'... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wrong?
  Yeah.
View Results

red_moon_wolfess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:20 pm
I have to say that anyone at my school who wrote even a statement in txt tlk to one of my teachers would have a crule punishment await them.... And trust me my teachers can get really creative. Like my science teacher, she has her husband's middle finger in a jar in the back of the room. My english teacher, has a squeeky hammer for kids who fall asleep in class, and sharpies of varried colors for those who are especialy deep sleepers.

I would go on, but i would hate to scar you even further, so I leave it up to you to imagin what any of my teachers would do to someone who so much as made a sentance in txt tlk and turned it in. (( hint, most of them are grammar nazis from hell))  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:21 pm
I work at a school, where to my knowledge, none of the teachers allow txt talk.

I'm in my first year of my Bachelor of Education, so you can all rest assured that I will not allow or teach the next generation of students to use txt talk!  

Bellatrixie

Acerbic Song

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:42 pm
I feel for you. If my school began to function like that...I don't want to think about what would happen. sweatdrop I haven't talked one-on-one with someone who uses heavy "txt tlk." The use of it in schools would confuse me, greatly.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:56 pm

I think my brain stopped... xp gonk crying  

Bladeglory

Shy Werewolf

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:00 pm
The very thought of that makes me very sad. I can't believe a self-respecting teacher would allow that, let alone use it as an example!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:05 pm
eek ... That's almost amusing...  

Kisu Midori

ruddah_baggah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:22 pm
Ew, honestly if teachers write like that I think there's a larger decline in literacy than we had previously assumed, especially in schools, hehe... Like that time in grade seven English class when we had the choice between the word "past" and the word "passed" for the sentence "Cindy and I walked _______________ the house on our way home." and only I, without even the exception of the teacher, could figure it out. o.O  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:17 pm
That's horrible!!

(I love smart boards, my sophomore English teacher has one. It's awesome!)

=]

Prima-~-Ballerina

wrungxOUTxrainbowz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:36 am
I am in highschool, right? What's bad is that this lady teaching high school students cannot spell. She is also one of the English teachers, and I am sadly forced to be in her class. She's a nice lady, don't get me wrong, but she can't spell and she's an ENGLISH teacher. But what's so bad is that last Thursday we had a substitute. She was writing our assignment on the board and all I saw was "LOL, AIM, BRB", etc. I just thought to myself how stupid this was going to turn out. The assignment was to take a great peice of literature, Romeo and Juliet, and write a section of the story in "internet lingo." To me, that's ridiculous because you are learning grammar, not things to replace it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:56 pm
A teacher using 'txt tlk'? That's unheard of!! That goes against the very basis of school! I would slap my teacher if he did that. At least gripe at him anyway. I can't believe this. *Goes into corner and gets in feetle posistion.*  

omiyashi0

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:22 pm
chicagoXXliights
I am in highschool, right? What's bad is that this lady teaching high school students cannot spell. She is also one of the English teachers, and I am sadly forced to be in her class. She's a nice lady, don't get me wrong, but she can't spell and she's an ENGLISH teacher. But what's so bad is that last Thursday we had a substitute. She was writing our assignment on the board and all I saw was "LOL, AIM, BRB", etc. I just thought to myself how stupid this was going to turn out. The assignment was to take a great peice of literature, Romeo and Juliet, and write a section of the story in "internet lingo." To me, that's ridiculous because you are learning grammar, not things to replace it.

That makes me want to *cry*!! As an English teacher who just taught Romeo and Juliet, I was all about translating into modern English...but modern, GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT English. I think my kids know they're get something thrown at them if they tried to txt tlk with me. And the fact that that was your assignment...I'm so sorry... crying  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:35 pm
Personally I think that in school teachers should set examples for student to speak and write properly. Outside school during their personal life then they can do what they want.  

d-a-r-k-s-h-y

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:33 am
Gwah... That's just... ugh! I don't know how to say it.

On a keyboard, I find txt tlk is actually LESS efficient to use. You have to look all over for shortcuts and think about what to omit. Writing it all is much easier, for me at least.

I do admit that shortcuts are hands on a cell phone, only because you have to pay to say what you want. The less characters the better. But then again, I don't have a cell so I don't know the most efficient way to use one.

You are lucky, to have a smartboard. My town's dirt poor in the educational department. Funny, they can afford new computers but they can't afford desks that aren't all lopsided. stare  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:51 am
My goodness, I cannot even believe that teachers would "txt tlk" in school. And since you were talking about taking notes on a book, I'm going to assume that you mean an English teacher. What is the world coming to? Teachers are supposed to be on your a** about your grammar in spelling, not text talking on the smart board (on a separate note: those smart boards are so cool).

My fellow kids/teens upset me. Now, adults are upsetting me too, and they're the ones that are supposed to be troubled by today's youth and their horrendous grammar. crying  

blueturnsgrey

GameNeko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:42 am
Jesus mother ******** Christ.
I think I'm going to be sick. gonk  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items