Which?
  Roy
  Marth
View Results

RedPhantomCloud

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:42 am
Well, sadly that is where you are right... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:05 pm
If we had online play, this would be settled shortly. Hehe.

Also, Marth > Roy Imo, plus Marth is top tier. Marth has a Spike, also, plus he can short hop double fair.  

Itakio

Bankai_Master14

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 am
for me it marth coz he is quiker and faster and hitting and his sword is a little bit longer than roy sword (if u dont believe that just get roy and marth at a equal distance apart on any stage let roy do forward a atack he will miss when marth does he get the hit on roy )  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:45 am
I say Roy.......Roy may be alittle slower but hes alot more stronger then Marth!  

Dark Lucan

Dangerous Smoker

7,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200

RedPhantomCloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:51 pm
Rubber Bandit
If we had online play, this would be settled shortly. Hehe.

Also, Marth > Roy Imo, plus Marth is top tier. Marth has a Spike, also, plus he can short hop double fair.

So true! I KNOW.. YOU CAN'T WAIT FOR BRAWL EITHER HUH?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:50 pm
For me it really depends. If I want to go with enduring strategy, Marth is my man. If I just wanna beat the s**t out of someone and get it over with fast, then Roy's my boy. Clearly, I am bertter at fighting as Roy, and my sister as Marth. But screw that, I am good as Pikachu and Jugglypuff, and she is also good as Kirby and Luigi. But, combined as a team force, these two swrdsman can easily be "unstoppable" to a fault.  

Mizu Torrent

Mizu Torrent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:22 pm
ArcVyse
To Diranithedemon:

You are not alone, there are probably thousands of people out there who believe Roy is better than Marth, but the truth is is that Marth is far superior to Roy.

Below is the tier list:

Quote:
Top Tier
Sheik
Fox
Marth

Upper Tier
Peach
Falco
C. Falcon
Samus

High Tier
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario
Ice Climbers

Middle Tier
Luigi
Link
Roy
DK
Pikachu
Zelda

Lower Tier
Ness
Young Link
Yoshi
Kirby
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser

Bottom Tier
Mewtwo
Pichu

If you'll refer to the above list you'll notice that Marth is ranked as the 3rd best character in the game, it is also interesting to note that the world's best player SephirothKen uses Marth as his main, bringing Fox in as well if the situation would have him need to use Fox.

If you'll refer lower down on the list you'll see Link and Roy ranked at 14th and 15th respectively.

A link winning a large scale tournament is all but unheard of and Roy's only notable success in the history of the professional SSBM scene is NEO's commendable placement at FC3 using Roy.

If you'll just read through Indigo Swordsman's posts with an open mind and watch some of the videos in my sig (Most specifically WounD of the WinD) you'll begin to have some 2nd thoughts about Marth.

Even though NEO is probably the most sucessful Roy player, he only became as good as he is from the teaching he received from Ken.

Now all this is not to say that your preference in Roy is unjustified, but in saying Marth is useless, what you've said is VERY much unjustified as you obviously have little knowledge of the professional SSBM circuit.

Can you tell me what a Shuffl'd Nair is? Or a Double Fair, or even the infamous "Ken Combo" (Which when I think about it, I may have the wrong idea on, it is a Fair -> Dair spike combo right?)

If you can tell me what the above techniques are, but still maintain that Roy is better than Marth, then well, you're either apart of the RITT movement, or are simply very closed minded.

I don't mean to offend you, even if it is probably inevitable.
---
On the subject of low tier characters, I'd probably go Roy as my main, the only way I can keep up when trying to use Roy is sheer dash dance mind games.

I use alot of grabs when playing Roy, and when you play at the pace that we (Meaning Me and Indigo Swordsman and others who play at an advanced level) play at, it's just too risky to try and pull off a forward smash just to get wiffed when they shield grab you.

My Roy game consists of alot of Jump cancelled grabs, Down tilts and Shuffl'd Fairs.

In the end when I'm up against a Marth with Roy, I can't juggle him well because he's not a fast faller, so I just throw Marth off the stage and attempt to edge guard.

I watched "Marquess of Pharae" which is a Roy combo vid on smashboards, and he liked to combo with Roy's Uair, it's amazing seeing him L-cancel every single Uair in the combo.
Now I am not going to argue here, it is clear that Marth is powerful. But this list is based on peoples competition scores. What about all of the people who can't perform in tournaments? It can be clear by some standards that Roy would be in at least high tier in MY book, with Marth and Link closely tailing. Let me make my OWN list of me and my sister's agreements in power and strategy combined.

Top Tier:

Pikachu (Outdoes Marth's power, while on par with his speed.)
Jigglypuff (Nasty Throws)
Luigi (ANyone that can blow himself up to kill himself deserves honor. Oh yeah, and his taunt? FUN.)

Upper Tier:

Kirby (I can fly, and then hit you with my final cutter! It all works out.)
Samus (Deadliest sweep kick in the game, and that cannon to face HAS to hurt xp)
Peach (She can practically traverse across the largest arena in the game, therefore, recovery queen)
Ganondorf (He is just a pain in the a**. And that super glomp? NOT COOL TO BE FACING.)

High Tier

Roy (He can set you on fire, which accumalates damage, and if you notice, he has some resistance to pyro-technic moves)
Marth (His speed and chain combos can keep an opponent from even laying a hit.)
Shiek (Reserving hot speed ninja combos and resisting attack with her chain, can make her a nasty weapon.)
Link (King. Of. PROJECTILES. Nuff said.)
Falco ( He doesn't fall as fast, and his smashes can be linked into some deadly juggling combos)

Middle tier

Ice Climbers (One takes damage, and the other can carry an extra weapon, two heads are better than one.)
Fox (A high recovery move, and good distance)
Capt. Falcon (Is also able to engulf you in flames, and he can repetedly use his up B move. Speedy and powerful)
Bowser (He can bite you. Give joo rabies xD.)
Zelda (Her magic can prove to be a useful defenser. Her Farore's wind has extremly long range, making her stubborn to kill if used correctly.)
Mewtwo (If used properly, you can be a mental powerhouse, confusing and torturing many foes at once. His throws can prove deadly.)

Lower Tier

Dr. Mario (He makes you take your psycho pills XD.)
Yoshi (a** OF DEATH.)
Mario (Eat fire. And, his taunt is just plain cool.)
Ness (He can absorb your weapons, electrocute you and himself as a missile, and set you on fire so much you won't be able to see straight anymore, probably cause you won't have eyes left.)
DK (He can keep you busy using his DOWN B Move.)
Y. Link (His Down smash is downright painful. And his bombs carry more of a time limit, his fire arrows also pack more of a punch.)

Bottom Tier:

Pichu (He HURTS himself. How cool is THAT?)
Mr. Game and Watch (His attacks proceed very slowly, so chaining combos is extremly difficult.)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:15 am
^ thats the old tier list, the top adn high tier go like this now

fox
falco

high
shiek
marth  

Phantom_Renegade

kingblah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:32 pm
i used to be a devout roy player. trust me, marth deserves to have second spot, right after fox and his infinite combos. roy is by no means a bad character, he is my secondary, but marths speed far oughtweighs roys strength. the on,ly thing that i like better aobut roy is his blazer, because marths dolphin slash is too weak to make a good knockback, and the enemy is recovered to give you a good 20 damage before you recover. also, i like marths counter better than roys because it lasts about 5 times longer  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:29 pm
My Roy vs. Marth Analysis from the thread I started.
---
Marth
- Better Wavedash
- More Effective Shuffl' game
- More effective finishers
- Longer Disjointed Hitbox
- Double Fair Combos
- Ken Combo
- Better overall Combo ability
- Better Edgeguarder
- Not a fastfaller -> Cannot be comboed against
- Better Recovery
- Better Dashdance
- Sweetspot is at the tip of the sword, extending his lethal range greatly
- Better Chainthrower
- Better Ledgehop

~Ranked 4th on the SSBM character Tier List~

Roy
- Less effective Wavedash
- Quicker, but less effective Shuffl' game
- His only effective finisher is his Forward smash, which is slow, extremely laggy and can be shield grabbed more easily.
- Shorter Disjointed Hitbox
- D-tilt 2 hit combos
- Up air combos
- Less combo ability overall
- Lesser Edgeguarding ability
- Fastfaller -> Can be comboed against easily
- Worser recovery
- Adequete Dashdance
- Sweetspot is at the middle of the sword -> Shortening the effective range
- Lesser Chainthrow ability
- Lesser ledgehop ability

~Ranked 16th on the SSBM Tier List~  

ArcVyse

colin mocherie

Generous Gawker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:14 pm
I used to use Roy a lot,but after a while,i started to use marth,and let me tell you,it has paid off. Ive never lost a match with Marth  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:19 pm
I like Roy cause he looks all cool and the flame effects but when I actually try fighting with Roy or Marth I seem to be better with Marth sweatdrop  

Masterfelix5

colin mocherie

Generous Gawker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:59 pm
Masterfelix5
I like Roy cause he looks all cool and the flame effects but when I actually try fighting with Roy or Marth I seem to be better with Marth sweatdrop

I hate that  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:08 am
Marth is better than Roy.

Even if you asked the best Roy player in the world (NEO for those who do not know) he'd say Roy sucks.

Marth >>>>> Roy.

(Yes, I'm a Roy player but I have Marth as a back-up)  

LemonManX

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:03 pm
I don't care about one character being "better" than the other.

Roy has cooler armor design, and his spiky hair is cute. And his voice makes my heart melt.

And in the green coloration, he looks just like the Prince of Cannock from Dragon Warrior 2!  
Characters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff