Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Goth means I can't get a job? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Another stupid topic?
  Yes, your last one was too...
  *shrugs* Maybe, depends on how I feel today.
  No, it touches on the subject of being mean because of clothes.
  Don't care, why should you..
View Results

Bloodgasm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:17 am
If you live in america, sue him and his company.

Your not allowed to discriminate when hiring.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:47 am
....I used to work at a vet...my barbed wire bracelets didn't bother anyone  

Fux this account

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:53 am
orosake
If you live in america, sue him and his company.

Your not allowed to discriminate when hiring.

The case wouldn't hold. Employers may hire or fire for any or no reason, so long as there is a reason beyond sexual, religious, or racial discrimination. They could say "I didn't hire him because he wore a red tie, and I only like the colors green and blue".  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:56 pm
That's descrimination.  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

P o o c h i e

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:14 am
One of my friends told me once that I'd never get a job babysitting the way I dress. She said her parents would give me one look and send me packing out their front door. [She has a little brother she hates babysitting, and so she asked me if I would. But then she reconsidered when she really thought about my clothing choice.]

So when I finally met her mom, we immediately hit it off. We became instant friends, and her mother loves me now. If they hadn't moved to Canada, I would still be babysitting. [Her dad thinks I'm cool, too.]

Then my friend found out that her mom was Goth in her twenties. xD And then she understood why it was her parents liked me so much. I guess her dad liked the Sex Pistols or somethin'.

;___; I wish I had parents like that.

Anyway, my point is, if you can connect with your boss or whatever, there's no reason for them to NOT give you a job. That's technically illegal, if your resume checks out okay and you don't have any fellonies or anything like that. They shouldn't be able to turn you down if they don't like the way you dress.

Sorry, but I sorta think this whole topic was a phony.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:41 am
I got lucky when i got my job, they had known me for years, and were already used to the way that I dress. Hell, I showed up for my interview in tripp pants, but then they knew that i just got out of school and didn't have time to change. But while I'm at work I tone it down a bit, I don't really go for the full gothic look, just a black shirt, maybe a choker without spikes.

To get the job, just look normal for the interview, get black jeans and t-shirts, leave the spikes and chains home.  

Krys_Night

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:09 pm
I would like to interject...

Goth is part of you, but goth fashion styles aren't always appropriate for a professional situation.

Is it unfair to discriminate against goths as a whole, just based on dress? Yes.

However, If I were an employee, and someone came in for a job interview wearing torn-up bondage pants and a sweat-stained band-t, I wouldn't hire them. If they're not going to dress professionally, I wouldn't want them to work for me.

There are some alternatives for this situation. Many goths are in such fields as medicine, psychology, and law (as suggestsed by a study done by Sussex University). This has lead to the rise of "corporate goth", a fashion style which has personality, but is still professional.

This site:

http://www.waningmoon.com/corpgoth/

is all about corporate goth fashion and professionality.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:21 pm
GilAskan

Goth is part of you, but goth fashion styles aren't always appropriate for a professional situation.

Is it unfair to discriminate against goths as a whole, just based on dress? Yes.

However, If I were an employee, and someone came in for a job interview wearing torn-up bondage pants and a sweat-stained band-t, I wouldn't hire them. If they're not going to dress professionally, I wouldn't want them to work for me.

There are some alternatives for this situation. Many goths are in such fields as medicine, psychology, and law (as suggestsed by a study done by Sussex University). This has lead to the rise of "corporate goth", a fashion style which has personality, but is still professional.

This site:

3nodding Thank you.  

KoRnfucius

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:53 pm
KoRnfucius
GilAskan

This site:

3nodding Thank you.

It's a great site to look around. It's informative about virtually anything you'd need to know: aesthetics, behavior, "coming out" as a goth, etc.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:43 pm
Never thought about this.. whee stressed  

Lady_Angel000

Willie-John[Abomination]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:22 pm
i'm getting a job at a Hot Topic!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:19 pm
razorblade6060
FakeSoul
I want to be a nurse and later a psychologist. *points at hat* But I also understand that america is not ready to see me walking in full-on goth apparel. And to fit in I have to change what I wear in order to get some money! ('cause money rocks) We have to change if we want to be accepted, because we need money from those close-minded bastards.

I would also like to be a psychologist at some point. If your going to do that though, you might not want to appear to shocking to the person you'll be in a session with, for younger children, and adults as well. They have to be able to talk to you and trust you. If your treating someone with an anxiety disorder, dressing however you like might not be the best thing to do....You want to NOT scare your patients.

heh, i'm gonna have to have two freaking wardrobes, because i'm going to be a pediatric psychiatrist.... but good luck to you two as well.  

The Deadliest Grace

4,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200

Spooky Ames

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:45 pm
Lol, a girl I know who's a "goth" was pissed off and stabbed some kid with a pencil.

But, on a serious note, I agree with you, that's not fair. It's just because of your clothing and stuff, right? Try and overthrow them with a bright personality, or something.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:56 am
Ignorance is all this boils down to my lovely.. however a little black clothing does not classify you to societies classification of "goth"..as you said you have no piercings and tattoos and no wild hair like some..I do not see how this is the reason for you not getting employment..first off you would have to attend school to work as a VET so this should be your first goal xD  

XxBloodyXWristxX

~Loves_Yami~

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:44 pm
wow thats ******** up...that could count as discrmination...  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff