Yea.
  No way!
  Eh...Somtimes.
  Hot Topic?
View Results

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:16 am
@ Ndoki: Yeah, I've thought about that for years. Which is why I maintain that Hot Topic isn't goth or punk, but is alternative. It's an alternative to the other mainstream fashions, but it's still mass-produced made-for-profit identically-manufactured fashion, no different than the fashions of "prep" stores.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:11 pm
-Nice-n-Evil-
Lexiegirl
Calling each other "posers" is just putting you one step closer to becoming a chav. talk2hand It doesn't matter where we shop, all that matters is that deep down you are really living the goth lifestyle. 3nodding To catogorize someone where they shop is just like being a prep, because thats what they do. We're a minority, so we should stick together, not call each other names and base each other by where we shop. 3nodding Well atleast thats how I feel about it. sweatdrop

You have a good point.

And just so you know...I wasn't saying anything bad about people who shop at Hot Topic...I was just wondering everyones thoughts. 3nodding

Oh I know. I wasn't speaking specifically to you, just inadvertantly to everyone. 3nodding

Lexiegirl

Lexiegirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:12 pm
GilAskan
@ Ndoki: Yeah, I've thought about that for years. Which is why I maintain that Hot Topic isn't goth or punk, but is alternative. It's an alternative to the other mainstream fashions, but it's still mass-produced made-for-profit identically-manufactured fashion, no different than the fashions of "prep" stores.

The goal of every capitalist establishment is to make money. rolleyes That shouldn't be part of why you don't like them...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:53 pm
Eh... been there a couple times... I went there to buy some hair bleach, and a dark blue hair dye.... OK I ADMIT!!! I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!! I'm obsessed with blue -.-...... but other than that, I only got a hoodie in december last year... samurai champloo.... since then I just browse and usually leave without buying..... and many preps go to the hot topic in the mall I go to....many kids at my school infact.... well old school. -looks at his old school- ok everyone goes.... even my best friends like to buy tons of their s**t!!! -cries- I wouldn't buy their stuff a lot... maybe once every 6 months.... though I'm broke so it doesn't matter. ok I'm just rambling now.... bye bye.... but the preps make it poser-ish!!!!.... i need to get some good blue hair dye... with a sustainer....  

Schizophrenic Angel

Ndoki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:29 pm
Heh, sweet, I'm glad people understood what I was trying to say.

I do agree every company is just out to make money, but I guess to elaborate on my last point, I think it's more gothic to go to a thrift store and pick out clothes you like that aren't being mass produced making your outfit original. Even places like Wal-mart, Zellers, and really anywhere, have some great clothes, and since they aren't geared towards "punk and gothic wear" you'll know that what you are buying from there, will be original.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:11 pm
Lexiegirl
GilAskan

The goal of every capitalist establishment is to make money. rolleyes That shouldn't be part of why you don't like them...

I'm not saying I dislike them for that [making profit]. I'm a strong capitalist myself, which is why I never say that bands "sell out" (bands have to make money. if they can't get sales with the style of music they have, they have to find some style that will make them money). I threw that "made-for-profit" comment in because I hear all sorts of moronic teenagers saying "******** the establishment! Down with corporate greed! No company owns me! I don't sell out my individuality to some big company like preps with Abercrombie!"... but they'll pay $80 for a pair of jeans at Hot Topic, while they could buy the exact same jeans at Kohl's for $20.  

GilAskan
Crew

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:25 pm
Oh yeah. A comment I forgot to make. They charge way too much money for way too little quality.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:30 pm
MortSanglant
Oh yeah. A comment I forgot to make. They charge way too much money for way too little quality.

That's not entirely their fault though. It's also the fault of the actual manufactures, who set the MSRP's too high for low quality products.

Speaking of which...

WARNING: NEVER BUY DEMONIA BOOTS, ESPECIALLY IF SOLD AT HOT TOPIC. THEY WILL FALL APART AFTER ONLY A FEW WEEKS OF USE.

Or so I'm told by several of my friends who have bought Demonia boots before.  

GilAskan
Crew

Schizophrenic Angel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:45 pm
Ndoki
Heh, sweet, I'm glad people understood what I was trying to say.

I do agree every company is just out to make money, but I guess to elaborate on my last point, I think it's more gothic to go to a thrift store and pick out clothes you like that aren't being mass produced making your outfit original. Even places like Wal-mart, Zellers, and really anywhere, have some great clothes, and since they aren't geared towards "punk and gothic wear" you'll know that what you are buying from there, will be original.

..... i shop there... when I actually do shop, usually for blue jeans, and some shirts... -not a big fan of buying... doesn't get an allowance-  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:40 pm
GilAskan
Lexiegirl
GilAskan

I'm not saying I dislike them for that [making profit]. I'm a strong capitalist myself, which is why I never say that bands "sell out" (bands have to make money. if they can't get sales with the style of music they have, they have to find some style that will make them money). I threw that "made-for-profit" comment in because I hear all sorts of moronic teenagers saying "******** the establishment! Down with corporate greed! No company owns me! I don't sell out my individuality to some big company like preps with Abercrombie!"... but they'll pay $80 for a pair of jeans at Hot Topic, while they could buy the exact same jeans at Kohl's for $20.

Ok, now I think I get what you were trying to say.

Lexiegirl

slipknot_him_slut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:27 pm
well it's not really poser-ish it's full of band and movie things....it's for geeks, emo, goth, metal, punk , and anyone else that want's to go in ...i mean there are things for everyone ....i mean i work in a hottopic and i see even gangster guys go in there for s**t.....it's not just for one lifestyle...it's can't be called poser'ish when it has nothing to do with that they're just like every other store in the way that they're in it for money but they do have things for everything and i don't think that's poser-ish  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:38 am
Talamascan
I dislike shopping there. I usually only go there to buy band shirts or make-up because I can't shop online. I dislike how their fashion is what people usually use to define 'goths'. plus they are really pricey. I mean, $50 for a pair of pants? I can probably buy a pair of shoes for less.

The only things I have gone there for are my neon eye makeup and the JTHM comics.

And that's why. Everything there is poorly made, I don't think they'd last me more than a week, and I'm not paying 50$ for a pair of pants. EVER.
I don't even pay 50$ for a pair of shoes. The most expenisve thing I have are my lace-up combats for 120$ and my leather trenchcoat for $200.

I am a cheapskate. And Hot Topic is run by the Gap anyways. If I wouldn't shop there, I won't shop at Hot Topic either. I go to Freestyles, they sell all the stuff I want except the comics and makeup.  

2aetH

Raziel_Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:10 pm
Hot Topic is good for me in ways: easy place to get band shirts from without having to wait. Also, AFI releases some Hot Topic exclusive vinyls. I have two of the three they've put out. So, there is some good from that store. Whether it's punk goth or whatever, I don't know and quite frankly don't care.

I do agree with how people use the store to define all goths. And so if you happen to wear anything from that store, you're goth. Hahaha.

Hot Topic had the JTHM comics? Nooo!!!!! *runs away muttering "Must find a way to get those comics"* Why couldn't I have discovered both JTHM and Hot Topic when I was younger? Why!?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:30 pm
yeah i hate how everyting is mass produced  

The Reused

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:13 pm
ilovegir11357
yeah i hate how everyting is mass produced

It's cheap, and yields high profit. May cut down on individualism, but it's great for business.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff