Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Oh my God.... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should it be done?
  No
  Yes
View Results

Demonic Platypus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:31 pm
Please, tell me they're joking. If that becomes the way we're supposed to spell words, then I weep for the future of America. neutral  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:43 pm
Ghurdrich
RebelJediKnight06
This is just like the No Child Left Behind act. You bring all the smart kids down and all the not-so-smart kids up so we can live in a world with no extraordinary people and everyone is just sitting in the middle, everyone as smart as everyone else. It's stupid not to let the smarter kids excel...but now since the people who can't do things as well as the smarter kids begin to complain, we want to push for a median again.

And don't forget. Once you dumb down english, math comes next. Once they are eliminated, science has to fall. With them gone, the only thing left is athletics. You can't very well dumb down gym, so the jocks will rule everything; First the school, then the businesses. The nerds will have nowhere to go. We will be back to square one, no more than pond scum, while the thick skulled brutes control the country/countries.

What are you talking about? With this garbage, there wouldn't be any more nerds. Still, I'm going to post my slightly changed opinion on this. Don't misunderstand me, because I oppose it, and I always will(I have no problem with moving to Canada or Europe).

Most of us can't read it because we haven't been taught to, but when you think about it, this is cutting down on the number of spellings that can be made for each sound. So the morons(I use this term not to describe the mentally challenged, but the lazy slackers that choose not to learn) might actually learn three or four words before they turn twenty and start living on the streets.

However, the downsides severely outweigh the upsides. First off, we have above a 95% literacy rate here(I think). So, 95% of the people will suddenly become illiterate. Teachers don't take jobs for the money, because teaching doesn't pay much. Many teachers have another source of income, and they would simply quit. I'm not going to say that they would go on strike, because in some states(Texas, for example) it's illegal for them to go on strike.

But hell, everyone will become stupider anyway, so why not quit?

Second, and this has already been mentioned, America does not have a National Accent. Us Southerners have our own accent, which is influenced by the cultures around us. The Northerners have their own semi-European accent(which I find very odd), and making the language simple would simply divide us. Right now, many people from different areas in the US have problems understanding each others' speech. If this passes, we'll have problems with writing as well.

Now, I'm a video gamer(and I enjoy particularly violent video games), and this keeps bringing me back to the comparison to this, and the crusade against video games. Right now, people like Jack Thompson and Hillary Clinton are trying to ban all violent video games from stores, because, as Jack says, they make excellent murder simulators. Now, they are trying to ban them, because they say that despite the ratings and such, children are still getting their hands on these games, and are becoming psycotic killers because of it.

So instead of making the parents pay more attention to what they're buying their kids, they're trying to make the government regulate these things and essentially make video games illegal. When you think about it, both of these things will have the same result:

The sudden alienation of a single concept, and the introduction of a new, "better" way to do things.  

Rukoric

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:52 am
I seriously want to know what the British will think of this article. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:04 pm
Has America gotton so ********' lazy, we can't use proper english!? I can't even read what that article said!

That's the problem today! People are to freaking lazy! Why else would we be the World's Fatest Country!?  

-The Insane Faerie-

4,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:39 pm
I am PRETTY sure this tounge-in-cheek. *whimper* Please tell me this is a joke!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:21 pm
I still don't understand why people keep hoping it's a joke. It's getting annoying! If you're going to post, then post something new! Don't keep repeating the same thing over and over when the answer has already been made clear!

Please note that I am not a moderator, and therefore I can not make demands and expect everyone to follow them. I just put exclamation points to emphasize the point. It's a request, not a demand.  

Rukoric

Tom Gunn 666

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:48 pm
The media will do anything for a story in this day and age, and Andrew Carnegie is Massacring the English Language.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:37 pm
the article doesn't even load for me. gonk  

agny-pantsu

Defective Confectionary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:36 pm
I honestly doubt that the way words are written would change.
If anything, I believe that way would be a lot more difficult.
What would we do about words that sound the same and have different meanings? i.e. "Too" "Two" "To". It would also make the english language look stupid, and immature. It makes me cringe at the thought of that idea even being considered by a large group of people.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:57 pm
Wow, that was scary. It wouldn't make sense to change the words now, anyways. How many people know those words already? It wouldn't make sense to change them, either. People are just totally lazy.  

pythonesque

Kawaii Fatcat

[C]yberwaste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:33 pm
Personally, I think it's a mock article, made to entertain some and completely enrage literate people. It was some guy's joke, if you ask me. Which I suddenly realize, no one did.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:07 pm
When I showed my mom this, she seemed to think that it would happen. She said it would be easier. I don't think that, I think it would be more confusing. We are already use to our words the way they are spelled and changing to that would be more harder to read.  

Klandy

Master Sergeant Luigi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:20 pm
*Silently commits supuku in the corner with a rusty spork*  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:52 am
I thought only the french academy wanted to do that....

This is scary ! English isn't HALF as hard as french and they want to simplify it even more ??? eek Anyways, it shouldn't be done, not even in french !!! mad  

LaForet

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces