Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
You know you're obessed with good grammar when... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dystopia Lycanthropia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Hahaha.
When I started doing it, one of my best friends picked up on it.
Sometimes we hear something grammatically incorrect and just give each other a certain look, shake our heads, and laugh.
I like correcting my teachers' grammar. =)

I've actually had a friend who called me a couple times to ask me questions about grammar. XD
I acquire nicknames... so easily. I somehow obtained the nicknames "Grammar Nazi" and "Spelling Guru." I almost got the name "Human Spell-check" recently, too. gonk
Ah, well. It's mostly true.

In AP English 11, we were shown an example of an ACT essay (at least, I believe that's what it was), and there were so many bad mistakes in it, I literally couldn't look at it.
For example, they used the word "there" in place of "their" and "they're." rolleyes

That was a long post. @.@
Sorry for the wordiness. I got in rant-mode. XD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:01 pm
When people think you're much older because you talk using words that fly over the heads of most people ((I'm oh so guilty of this)) sweatdrop  

Neurotic Valentine

xAvenirYuinax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:33 pm
- When your friends have to fend you off with a meter stick so you cannot get to their English homework.
- When it is now you that is correcting your parents and not the other way around.
- When your friends call you "Dictionary" and "Grammar-Nazi"... in public.
- When just the mere thought of illiteracy/txt-tlk/1337 makes you cringe and twitch.
- When you see a grammatical error in your work, you whimper.
- When you edit your posts and upload fanfic chapters more than six times.
- When the voices that speak grammatical impurities have now become the equivalent of the voices in your head.
- When hearing said voices, you immediately state the nature of the error.
- When a sentence of five words has your entourage completely lost.
- When "I'm did good" makes you want to mutilate the person.
- When you are actually known to throw dictionaries.
- When murdering the creators of txt-lk and 1337 is a freakishly euphoric thought and has you cackling.

That's about all I can think about.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:19 pm
You know you're a grammar Nazi when you can confuse your friends with official-sounding words like "past participial form" or "the object of the preposition".  

jbiggamer

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:24 am
Klandy
You have to close your eyes so don't go blind, when your friend is typing/writing in improper english.

That definitely sounds like me, as well as everything else everyone said. I am so a**l when it comes to grammar, and am especially appalled when it comes to my own writing.

Also:
-You find yourself correcting everyone or pointing out all the mistakes you see, or if you don't, it's because you have to force yourself not to do that.
-People looking at you like "what?" when you talk about grammar.
-Someone asks you "who speaks like that" when you correct his or her paper (I DO!).  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:37 pm
When you're writing and you don't remember if you're using a word properly in a sentence so you immediately have to look it up and end up using a different word instead because you couldn't figure it out.

Rolling Box

Obsessive Garbage

33,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Expert Skill 150

xAvenirYuinax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:43 pm
- When you have several dictionaries in your room.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:53 pm
. . . you break your favorite aunt's heart by pointing out that she used "idle" instead of "idol" in a poem she wrote for her mother almost twenty years ago. I am a bad niece. redface  

Baka Gothic Kitsune

+.Dreaming.of.a.Place.+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:45 pm
Klandy
Ok, almost every guild has this.
You know your obessed with good grammar when...
You type out every single word including punctuation in your text messeges.
You have to close your eyes so don't go blind, when your friend is typing/writing in improper english.
You get mad at your friend when she says grammar isn't important.
You memorize the banner for the guild and try to tell all your friends about it.
Ok, that's all I have for now.

I guess I'm obsessed then. o.O  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:48 am
Baka Gothic Kitsune
. . . you break your favorite aunt's heart by pointing out that she used "idle" instead of "idol" in a poem she wrote for her mother almost twenty years ago. I am a bad niece. redface

Aww.

xAvenirYuinax
- When you have several dictionaries in your room.

What if you have several dictionaries because they're in different languages? I'm in the Foreign Languages Guild, and I know that many people there have many dictionaries because they're learning many languages. (Then again, if you like learning languages so much, you're probably obsessed with grammar anyway.)  

The MoUsY spell-checker

snitchseeker5000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:02 am
Yup, this sounds like me. Just a few more to add to the list off the top of my head...
- You correct people more than you should, including on IMs and messangers.
-You cross out and correct grammar mistakes in books (misprints).
-When trying to explain a grammar point in a forign language class, you connect it to english grammar, using grammar terminology like, "Subjective", "intransitive", or "preticate nominative" and the classmate in question completely confused. (I am very guilty of this in French class.)

That's all for now...  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:33 am
You are constantly rewriting stories that you have written because you are checking for grammar mistakes.

You correct your friend's homework whenever you can.

You look for a pencil whenever your friend lets you read one of her stories.

(These are all things that I do. xd )  

Chiisushi Daawa Wateru

SirCharles999

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:37 am
I don't really Care if my freind use Improper Grammar I meen I say tlk sometimes : Instead of Talk if it means much smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:39 am
Chiisushi_Daawa_Wateru
You are constantly asking your sister if you can check her homework for spelling and grammar mistakes. (My mom lets me do this because I am the English Expert in my house! whee )

You correct your friend's homework whenever you can. (essays)

You look for a pencil whenever your friend lets you read one of her stories. (Sometimes I have to force myself not to.)

(These are all things that I do. xd )

I am constantly using dictionaries, thesauruses, and spelling references whenever I am writing, and I find them a very big help whenever I am writing.  

Chiisushi Daawa Wateru

Malbeur

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:40 pm
I keep a pocket dictionary with me wherever I go. People look at me wierdly when I pop it out or when someone needs a definition and I've got it.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff