Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Pronunciation of Gaia Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you say it?
  JEE uh
  GUY uh
  GAY uh
  (other)
View Results

!`Grammar Faerie`!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:12 am
my friend is always saying "GUY-UH is GAY-a". You know, like "Gaia is gay-a?" They are kind of stupid sometimes...............  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:35 pm
Ezra Pound
Okay, you just worded it oddly.

You can transliterate Japanese into Latin characters. And, since Japanese has a standard pronunciation system, so does the Romanization.

It doesn't really have much to do with anything you said. They might have been the first to do it (I honestly have no idea, but frankly I doubt it), but.. most of the rest of what you say is illogical or obvious.

I always cater to the slower of mind so everyone can understand what I am talking about. That is why most everything I say seems obvious to those who know their stuff, but to those who don't, they can then learn from it. look up in your local history book who translated Japanese into easier to understand text. Dutch tried it, but they failed, miserably, but it was only when the Spanish priests were allowed was Japanese easily translated back and forth to different languages (many of the priests knew Spanish, Latin, Japanese, and some even knew English).  

Ninfinity

aoikin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:40 pm
Rose the Homicidal Maniac
I pronounce it "guy-uh" because I keep thinking of Escaflowne.

I have the same reason... and also the fact that it just sounds right when I say "GUY-uh" or "Ga-ya"  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:24 pm
I've always pronounced it "GUY-a". When I see it spelled Gaea, I still pronounce it "GUY-a", even though I pronounce Aether like "AY-ther". I'm weird like that.  

Xillania

The Librarian Battlerager

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:14 pm
Is it bad that I pronounce it as "Guy-E-uh"?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:26 pm
I think it is Guy-uh.  

IAmSasukeUchiha

[Joan De Arc]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:26 pm
Guy uh, since it is named after a norse name, Gaia, which means earth.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:06 pm
::coughGreekcough::  

The Man who was Thursday

Ninfinity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:06 pm
Ezra Pound

yup.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:54 pm
Personally I think it's GUY-ah, but I have been wrong before. On many occasions.  

Super Awesome Thing

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:16 pm
Ezra Pound

HA! You fell for it. Everyone knows it's Greek. She wanted to be corrected! HA!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:45 am
I pronounce it Guy-Uh although my brother thinks that it is and I quote: "Gay people online."  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

Ninfinity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:02 pm
Gachetemas
Ezra Pound

What? *looks at Gachetemas in confuxion, then looks at Ezra Pound for a rebuttal*  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:14 pm
Nazgrol
Gachetemas
Ezra Pound

What? *looks at Gachetemas in confuxion, then looks at Ezra Pound for a rebuttal*

Do you kiss you mother with that ... keyboarding? Nevermind - you and Ezra Pound took the bait by responding to "norse," thus tricking you into wasting your time by confirming an already stated piece of common knowledge. She probably knew Gaia was Greek and wanted to see you make nerds of yourselves. Just smile and nod.  

Gachetemas

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:56 pm
Gachetemas
Nazgrol
Gachetemas
Ezra Pound

Do you kiss you mother with that ... keyboarding? Nevermind - you and Ezra Pound took the bait by responding to "norse," thus tricking you into wasting your time by confirming an already stated piece of common knowledge. She probably knew Gaia was Greek and wanted to see you make nerds of yourselves. Just smile and nod.

I made a nerd of myself when I waited outside Target for 2 hours.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff