Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
I hate "t3h" and "teh" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ferret-chan13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:51 pm
I have done 'teh' as a typo a few times but Word usually corrects it for me. What really bothers me is 'l8ter' or '4ever'. stressed  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:28 pm
Words like 'teh', 'meh', 'luff', 'ish' and I think that's about it, those don't bother me, partly because I am known to use them myself. I use it as cutesy stuff. I don't make it a part of my everyday language though.

These alterations make me think of alcohol commercials and the like, "moderation is always in good taste." Little stuff here and there, fine, full out mauling, not so fine.

However, 't3h' bothers me. In fact, any word that has a number in when, in it's original spelling doesn't, bothers me. Oh, I have a friend -Bibi- who loves to use the 'word' 'j00'. God, as much as she's one of my closest friends, everytime she says it, it makes me cringe.

'lol' just seriously bothers me now. This is probably due to the countless times where I've read them as posts. That's it, just one word, actually, abbreviation. It makes me want to bash my head when it's used when someone have nothing better to say and hope it will spur a conversation. The irritation I hold for it only increases when my friend -different one- actually uses it in everyday speech to fill up the silence. -shudder-

'Gansta' drives me ballistic. '4eva' has me sighing is resignation knowing that it will not die. 'luv' isn't cute and 'lmao' sounds like some distorted exclamation of pain. 'shmexy' makes me want to chop my ears off.

I admit guilty of using p'wn. Bibi and I have interesting discussions on that. We constantly argue between the pronounciation 'p'own' and 'pawn'.
Upon saying that, why did I have the impression that something might be thrown my way? I'm still literate...  

xAvenirYuinax

Momoko Wakaba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:41 pm
I always use 'the', but other times 'teh' comes up. Some times it is accidental, others are on purpose as a term of endearment towards my friends. ((I love them so much I am willing to sacrifice the english language for them, aren't I a nice person?))  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:03 am
When I type, "teh" might show up occasionally because I type so fast. It' just a typo and it's kinda of an annoying one. When I see "t3h" I don't even know what the stupid text means. Please, I just like to have poeple spell tehir words out...Whenever I see"lol", I sigh.  

Exidus3

Shigures Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:14 am
Yeah, my friends do that all the time, for example "teh smex" or "teh awesome". It gets on my nerves. I hate when people apparently "don't care" if they spell their words out or are just "too lazy" to do so. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:52 am
dark_elf
It bugs me. Also my friend today was calling jo0....*eye twich* I should have pointed to my sig.

I say j00 sometimes. But not very often.  

Buccellatte

Sparkly Conversationalist

Be Lovely

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:50 pm
For me it doesn't really matter. I like them both and 'teh' can bother me sometimes when it's over used. But i usually prefer to write 'the'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:20 pm
"teh" doesn't bother me all that much, but mainly because I use it when talking to some of my friends (I have a habit of slipping into what I feel is the proper type of speech with people). I do sometimes slip up when typing and put it in on accident though, due to the fact that I've started to type faster lately.  

jamklev

Population Tire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:27 pm
Honestly, things like "teh" and "j00" aren't that big a deal to me. It's almost a part of the forum experience. What I can't stand is when they're used in unison with really horrible text talk. I used to use "teh" and "j00" more than the actual words themselves, back in my n00b days.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:33 pm
Gachetemas
I realized something about the time "teh" appeared on the Amistad movie questions. (It was something like, "What were teh conditions like on the ship?")

My A.P. U.S. History teacher types his own movie questions. When I try to type "teh," Word autocorrects it to "the." Lutj would have had to go out of his way to change it to "teh." This doesn't make sense. There are a few explanations, but maybe I should ask him to find out.

He said, "It's a typo. It should say 'the.'" He was using a 1992 version of Microsoft Word, so it didn't catch it for him. That explains it.  

Gachetemas

Cinnamon_Kitty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:09 am
I agree with you, I hate it also. I don't understand it -- it doesn't sound anything like "the", it sounds completely retarded when you say it how its spelt and, as you pointed out, its the same amount of letters either way so why not spell it the correct way?

xp

I never use "teh". None of my friends (not close ones anyway) use it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:03 am
Thank you! And 'teh' has reached such a low, that it's being transformed into true chatspeak 't3h'. I don't get how people think it's ******** cool to grab the english language by its hair, eat its face, s**t the face out, and then have sex with it. Because that's what they do.

-disgusted-
-with people-  

Domenic

BlueDetective

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:26 am
I know what you mean. It's very annoying.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:04 pm
The Jesus Bot
Yami no Hitokiri
Most of the time, it's a typo (I hope). I've seen it done on purpose since I joined this site. One of the users used to have a signature with "I am teh sex bunneh" in it. I cringed whenever I saw it.

Well sometimes people put it in there screen name if the same name with "the" is taken. I know a guy who always writes t3h.

i wouldn't be able to stand that.
i have a few friends who always say things like 'meh' and 'teh' and add an extra syllable or change the word (e.i. from 'gasp' to 'gashpeh') to random words, and it pisses me off.  

x_chibi_love_x

Triste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:41 am
Of course I'm spelling it right. It's tea.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff