Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Can someone explain to me what a "Mallgoth" is?? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold.
  Yay.
View Results

trampyre

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:52 am
Lady Detarra
For those who have been following the journey of Angst Boy heres an update razz so his make-up has gotten SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much worse. Hes added black lipstick to the mess. Now i love black lipstick but not everyone should/can wear it. He is one of those people. And I found out today (from my manager) Angst Boy has been at the mall I work at since the day it opened….which was 4 YEARS AGO!!!!!!! He really must want to get into the Angst Lair.

That is so sad. emo  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:57 pm
Well im sure as hell not a poser and i guesse im not a mallgoth even though i chill at the mall alot i may wear black cloths and wristbands but not any of that other stuff  

MISFIT a.d.

Hawt_az_FCUK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:43 pm
lmao

wow

im not a mall goth...XD but one of my friends is apparently. she loves going to hot topic...>.< and only wants to buy clthes from there...my opinion its overpriced and the quality is frikken cheap (clothing). i only go there to buy some accessories like earrings or whatnot.

have a shirt that says 'You got Goth Served" (with the southpark goth kids on it lol) rofl but i didnt buy it for myself i got it for my bday once

i onyl wear it cuz i find it amusing.

ha ha....GloomCookie....lol i liek it

oooh

"The Adventures of Angst Boy and the search for the Angst Lair" coming to a bookstore near you!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:20 pm
I like to think of mallgoth sort of a lesser stage of goth, that some go through before actually becoming a 'real' goth. Or it could just be goths that have no place else to go besides the mall, and the only place they can find half decent clothing is at a hottopic.  

Darken_mortal

cynicalspiritvalea

Wheezing Sex Symbol

7,900 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:27 pm
Angst boy=SUPER LAME

Man i was cracking upi reading that...so sad...  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:07 am
Darken_mortal
I like to think of mallgoth sort of a lesser stage of goth, that some go through before actually becoming a 'real' goth. Or it could just be goths that have no place else to go besides the mall, and the only place they can find half decent clothing is at a hottopic.

I like that, I think it's probably the most sympathetic viewpoint to date. I really feel sorry for goths with no other outlet/haven than the local mall and hot topic. While I bemoan the fact that hot topic has made alternative "mainstream", I guess I'm happy that these kids now have the option to dress the way they really want to. I remember feeling all awkward wearing colour, and how the discovery of black on black was like an epiphany. I wasn't lucky enough to have access to Hot Topic or other "alternative" clothing stores, but I do remember when finding the odd cute and spoooky piece at the mall brought waves of glee...soon afterwards, I discovered thrift stores, then sewing, and so forth. I think you're right: some of these kids are beginner goths who aren't sure where they fit, therefore they feel they need a standard style to adhere to in order to feel that they "fit". Time will tell for them where they fit...whether or not it is a gothy place...is up to them and their personal taste as they mature.  

trampyre

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:37 pm
Ugh. We had a whole swarm of these in the town where I went to college. Every Friday, they'd cluster by the theatre. They looked like they'd gone to hot topic and bought out all the cheap stuff. Crappy pants, jams (!), and t-shirts with slogans like "I'm so goth I'm dead" and "It must suck to be you." And most of them had capes... probably made from their mommy's old nightgown.

I wouldn't mind the laughable clothing on its own. When you can't sew your own clothes and haven't heard of any underground goth shops, these things happen. What I didn't like was the attitude. They'd slam cheap hooch down their throats and shout things like, "My God, I'm so ********' miserable!" That or compete to see who could threaten the goriest suicide. "I'm gonna slit my wrists and inhale a can of pesticide!!" rolleyes  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:54 pm
trampyre
Darken_mortal

I like that, I think it's probably the most sympathetic viewpoint to date. I really feel sorry for goths with no other outlet/haven than the local mall and hot topic. While I bemoan the fact that hot topic has made alternative "mainstream", I guess I'm happy that these kids now have the option to dress the way they really want to. I remember feeling all awkward wearing colour, and how the discovery of black on black was like an epiphany. I wasn't lucky enough to have access to Hot Topic or other "alternative" clothing stores, but I do remember when finding the odd cute and spoooky piece at the mall brought waves of glee...soon afterwards, I discovered thrift stores, then sewing, and so forth. I think you're right: some of these kids are beginner goths who aren't sure where they fit, therefore they feel they need a standard style to adhere to in order to feel that they "fit". Time will tell for them where they fit...whether or not it is a gothy place...is up to them and their personal taste as they mature.

I'd agree with many points of this, however, I wouldn't really call mallgoth a "lesser stage of goth".

In my personal opinion, you can't be "more goth" or "less goth". You either are or you aren't, and simply, mallgoths aren't.

Now, there are some mallgoths who go on to mature into real goths. However, from my experience, most mallgoth's are simply going through a rebellious phase, and will most likely fall out if it after a few years; many of these will never learn what the true goth culture is about before they drop out.

All this being said, I should also mention that I have nothing really against mallgoths. So long as they don't intentionally spread stereotypes, I don't think there's anything wrong with being a mallgoth. I think that all teenagers need to go through a rebellious phase, even for a brief time.  

GilAskan
Crew

BabyEaterLad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:50 pm
The_Elemental
I think i'm actually going to try to make a gloom cookie. biggrin

That's exactally what I spent my Monday doing -- Making doom and gloom cookies. XD

Picture here

The actual doom and gloom came from when it came time to eat them, all you could taste was the shortening so I had to throw out all my beautifully decorated cookies. :C  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:05 pm
Well, the cookies look very spiffy. Now I'm tempted to jump on the cookie producing bandwagon and bake up a batch angst-ridden gingerbread men. ^_^;  

BleachTheirEyes

trampyre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:20 pm
BabyEaterLad
The_Elemental
I think i'm actually going to try to make a gloom cookie. biggrin

That's exactally what I spent my Monday doing -- Making doom and gloom cookies. XD

Picture here

The actual doom and gloom came from when it came time to eat them, all you could taste was the shortening so I had to throw out all my beautifully decorated cookies. :C

YUMMY! Heehee. I am soo going to make Gloomcookies for my friend's potluck dinner tomorrow!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:21 pm
Wow, Angst Boy needs a life. Would make an interesting webcomic true. But I'd never make it a flash animation. How boreing would it be to watch an animation of a guy walking around a mall. Sure, you could give him a reason for it, but that wouldn't be true to character I suppose. xd  

Dracula Vampirate

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:46 pm
Dracula Vampirate
Wow, Angst Boy needs a life. Would make an interesting webcomic true. But I'd never make it a flash animation. How boreing would it be to watch an animation of a guy walking around a mall. Sure, you could give him a reason for it, but that wouldn't be true to character I suppose. xd

It could be funny if you heard his thoughts while you watched him. I wonder what Angst Boy thinks about?

"This mall's like, so depressing. It's full of perky people who don't understand me. Hyped-up brand names that offend me. These stores are the lamest thing ever—wait, those jeans in Old Navy look really cool!" lol  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:57 pm
I'm going to try to actually start an Angst Boy comic razz just have to get the drawings right hahahaha  

Lady Detarra

trampyre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:57 pm
lol Poor, poor Angst Boy. Little does he know he is about to be satirised as the subject of a web comic...  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff