Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"ain't" still is not a word Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rutoh-Chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:31 pm
Quote:
I think it depends on what exactly the exam being taken asks for.
If the students have to write a formal essay, then no, they should not be allowed to use the term "ain't." However, if they are asked to write freely, perhaps to create a short story for a creative writing exam, then I think the language the students use should be up to them. Often times writers use grammar that reflects how a person speaks, to express a character.

But most likely you are discussing the use of "ain't" in standard essays, so yeah, it should not be used.

I think free writes are different than developing characters. Professional writers give their characters slang to express realism. So slang in a narrative is good if the character is built on that way of speaking. But free writes are still formal essays in their own way.

Quote:

I never use slang. Even when I try to have a normal conversation or post on the computer, I find myself speaking as if I were in some formal event.

Good for you. I personally use slang, but I think that is because it is easier to get along with my friends that way. I know that there are arguments that slang makes a person seem stupid, but it is that way for a reason. Go back to England and Spain way back in the day. Your speech proved how important you were in society. If you spoke well and did not swear you were royal or important. If you were crude and spoke with a slur or in "slang" you were a commoner and were considered to be too stupid to speak well. As society has changed, fewer people are judged based on rank. Equality spreads to most places. That is why you here people like political leaders speaking well while your friend may use slang, no matter how rich or well educated they are. To show a gentler separation. You can chose not to use slang. It is not as important anymore in showing which part of society you belong to. Whatever you feel is most comfortable is the best thing for you.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:14 am
If you really want to get down to a technical basis, then "ain't" is indeed a word. A word used in a limited dialect, but a word nonetheless.  

Cohedros

jbiggamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:54 pm
Emmanuela
The senior editors at my mothers work were debating about letting "ain't" be accepted in exams. English exams. I was horrified. My mother was the only one at the table who disagreed with it, of which I am very proud of.

Using "ain't" is slang and should not be used, no matter how common it is used in speech, as otherwise wouldn't we have to allow people to write 'would of" instead of "would have"? I think it's appaling, someone please agree with me!

Due to the fact that "ain't" appears in many dictionaries, (including the Oxford English Dictionary) I consider "ain't" to be a valid addition to the english language. I would not consider it for use on an English paper quite yet though...many teachers still won't accept it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:17 am
I love 'ain't' It's a great word. And, in fact, is IS a word.

But its a colloquialism. It's like 'drink' being a noun. Or 'Jazz' being a verb.

It doesn't belong on an English test without quote marks around it and talking about a book like Tom Sawyer.  

I am The Compendium

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Wolfen Gamer T.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:29 pm
The word "aint't" is not a word and should never be used in exams! ROAR!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:19 pm
I heard someone say "ain't" it made me want to go up to her and slap the living crap out of her.  

Chelseagirl832

1,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

jobrecruiter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:10 pm
I agree with you because they used "ain't" in the old days like early 18 or 1900's.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:25 am
I joined this guild expecting actual intelligent conversation, not arguments over such trivial matters. If someone uses the word 'ain't' in a test, it should be at the teacher's discretion whether or not to take off for that. As far as words go, as long as you're not using text talk or elite speak, I'm fine with it. Especially if you're trying to portray an accent. I use words like ain't and y'all all the time. It's just the way that person speaks, so get off of your high horse, and let other people live.  

finalefanatic

Triste

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:47 am
In an exam or formal context, I'd say yes; "ain't" should never be used. It connotes lower intellect and ignorance of the situation at hand.

Can't fix everything with a hammer, I say. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:49 pm
Wolfen Gamer T.
The word "aint't" is not a word and should never be used in exams! ROAR!

Correction "ain't" not "aint't".  

GlamxShock

[.i_like_pi.]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:10 pm
I believe that 'ain't' is, in fact, a word. Just because it is slang doesn't mean it is not a word. If you were to look in a dictionary a lot of slang words would be there. Of course, slang isn't appropriate when writing, unless it is used in writing dialogue. I definately agree with that. You can't use slang for Boggle, one of my favorite games of all times, so I don't really use it. I prefer to type out and/or say things and not look like an illiterate person who doesn't know proper grammar, so I do try to stay away from words like 'ain't'. The more anyone starts using slang and text talk and illiterate ways to talk, the more illiterate they become and they forget how to type in a literate way.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:18 pm
Yami_no_Eyes
I love 'ain't' It's a great word. And, in fact, is IS a word.

But its a colloquialism. It's like 'drink' being a noun. Or 'Jazz' being a verb.

It doesn't belong on an English test without quote marks around it and talking about a book like Tom Sawyer.

I'm surprised no one caught this. I meant 'drank'  

I am The Compendium

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Rutoh-Chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:34 pm
Quote:
The senior editors at my mothers work were debating about letting "ain't" be accepted in exams. English exams. I was horrified. My mother was the only one at the table who disagreed with it, of which I am very proud of.

Using "ain't" is slang and should not be used, no matter how common it is used in speech, as otherwise wouldn't we have to allow people to write 'would of" instead of "would have"? I think it's appaling, someone please agree with me!

What actually ended up happening in the debate? I think that is somewhat relevant. Did they say they would accept "ain't", and if so, why?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:02 pm
So, no one knows what actually happened???  

Rutoh-Chan

saotomi5102

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:35 am
I believe it is a dialect term. Just like Boston people use Wicked. And Southerners use Ya'll. It is not a grammar term but if the person was raised in the South, let them say it. If the person says it to be lazy then let them be punished twisted .
That is all.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces