Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.
Could someone help me? (Deity-related Question) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rioto_Kish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:39 pm
Wait...if praying or communicating with the gods is largely mental exercise, then what flickered the lights and made that large sound in the next room after I asked for help? eek ...  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:52 am
Rioto_Kish
Wait...if praying or communicating with the gods is largely mental exercise, then what flickered the lights and made that large sound in the next room after I asked for help? eek ...

Well, I did say it is a bit of both, right? It depends somewhat on WHAT you are doing. There is really no surefire way to eliminate mundane explanations, so I like to keep them in mind at all times. When it comes down to it, believe what you feel is true. The exception I make to this is if believing in some non-mundane explanation is going to cause you or others harm.

For example, I knew someone once who believed that it was his/her prophetic dreams that were draining them of energy. In reality, it was his/her lifestyle that was the problem (poor diet, lack of sleep, etc)!  

Starlock
Crew

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:04 am
Rioto_Kish

I understand what you're saying about the rituals. So, if I wanted to perform an Kemetic ritual (for example-sorry, it was the first thing to pop into my head) and the rite called for certain things (I don't know exactly: candles, food offerings and incense) I must incorporate all of those elements into the ritual. Are their any rites that do not require all elements to be performed? I don't have a problem with structured ones, but I was just wondering if there were, in case I come across one that doesn't require all elements.

I can't really answer this question. Reconstructionalist paths are a bit different. By and large, if you're going Recon (be it Kermetic, Hellenic, or whatever) there's more of a premium placed on being as true as possible to the original practice. Some Recons emphasize this more than others: some really believe you must be totally true to the original while others find a little fudging around is okay. You'll have to do your own seeking and come to your own conclusions! whee

As for caveat... online dictionaries are your friend. Caveat

Rioto_Kish

I'm still unsure as to what you mean about offering food and drink to the Earth/deities, etc. Do you leave the food/drink outside after the ritual, or do you eat it as offering to the gods? Sorry if that offended anyone about eating the food-I've just never been sure what you do with it. sweatdrop

One common practice is to offer libations to trees... in that case you take the drink offering and do pour it by the roots of a tree. Some practices and rituals would leave it outside while others would use it more like communion and consume it. Or a combination of both can be done... eat some of the seeds of the harvest but also plant some for the next season. How it's done really depends on the tradition, deities concerned, or personal taste.

Rioto_Kish
'Inner Temple?' I'll have to put that one on my reading list. 3nodding So, if a lot of it is mental, how do empaths feel other people's energies? (Did I just answer that question by asking it?) I've heard about empaths in some of the threads, and I was wondering what was meant by it.

This can be debated. There are both mundane and magical explanations for this and I like to consider both. On the one side, many people are so woefully ignorant of basic psychology that the ability to pick up on other's emotions can't be explained in any other way to them aside from magic. On the other, even if you are aware of the psychological reasons, that doesn't make it less magical for and it also does not exclude the possibility of other explanations.

Generally I tend to feel that any self-professed "empaths" fall into the "ignorant of basic psychology" explanation and use magic as an explanation because it's all they have to use. I don't feel, though, that because of that it invalidates what they feel, what they're doing, or makes it any less amazing or magical. Besides, maybe empathic ability does in some way transcend our knowledge of psychology?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:30 pm
I have a lot of studying to do before I do any rituals! 3nodding (I don't think I'll be ready to do anything for a while, though-I've been sick for the last day and a half gonk

So, I don't have to eat the food/drink? The pouring the drink offering next to the tree roots sounds good- but just to make sure, I'll read up on what certain rites do when communicating with the gods.

I think that reading up on some psychology wouldn't be a bad thing while I'm studying. Now that I'm thinking about it, I can explain the lights flickering, but the noise doesn't make any sense. confused

Quote:
For example, I knew someone once who believed that it was his/her prophetic dreams that were draining them of energy. In reality, it was his/her lifestyle that was the problem (poor diet, lack of sleep, etc)!

Oh dear- that's not good. sweatdrop I hope they got better. I'm still trying to think of how that noise could be explained. I wasn't imagining it, because my family heard it too, there was nothing that was out of place when I checked the room, so nothing fell over... hmmm... confused I don't know... ow, this is hurting my head (damn my being sick! gonk )  

Rioto_Kish

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:23 pm
In my opinion, there is no problem at all with using "it" as a gender-neutral pronoun, and when speaking of a gender-neutral deity I often give it the customary honorific capitalization: "It." Speak and act with respect, and there is no reason for the gender-neutral pronoun to be interpretted as an insult- even in a modern, English context. After all, there is nothing degrading about not having a gender.

As a side note, "thee" and "thou" are informal forms of address- something you would say to someone of your own or lesser status. For an honorific form, use "thy" and "thine." I find them stilted and a little out of place when neither you nor the deity in question are from a time or an area where archaic English would have been spoken- but there's nothing wrong with using them, and everyone will have his or her own preferences.^_^

Rioto_Kish
So, I don't have to eat the food/drink? The pouring the drink offering next to the tree roots sounds good- but just to make sure, I'll read up on what certain rites do when communicating with the gods.

That depends on what sort of ritual you're following and the gods you're working with. Starlock and I may tell you some different things and that's OK- it's because we practice different religions, and keeping that in mind will hopefully make things a little less confusing. 3nodding If you are working with Egyptian deities, offerings should be consumed after the ritual. Other deities may have different ways of doing things, and I would encourage you to study Their cultures to learn more about it. However in Kemetic religion this consumption of offerings after ritual is an important practice called "the reversion of the offerings," and it is one way in which the gods share Their blessings with us. Refusing that blessing by disposing of the food outside would be unfortunate- both because you would miss out on that part of the experience, and because it might send mixed messages to these gods about your appreciation of Their presence in your life. On the other hand, offerings to the beloved dead are never eaten- what the dead take, they keep.

Some pagans like to leave offerings outside for fairies and other nature spirits. In the Kemetic tradition, these sorts of beings are included in a class of spiritual creatures known as ntjri (net-JER-ee) - which literally means "godlike." Many Kemetics have separate altars for these beings where offerings are left, I have heard of a few occasions however where people were directed to leave specific offerings in wild areas and I, for one, always leave an offering of water or silver to the ntjri of the plants from whom I harvest flowers for my offerings.

Rioto_Kish
I think that reading up on some psychology wouldn't be a bad thing while I'm studying.

You might want to look up an interesting little book and/or movie called "What the Bleep Do We Know?" I saw the film version with Arcane, and found it very interesting and helpful. The film approaches the subjects of religion and belief from the viewpoint of quantum physics, and the result was a very interesting insight into how some aspects of magic and spiritual disciplines might work.

And in case there was any doubt, you didn't chase me off- so no worries! smile I tend to wander in and out of activity on the guild depending on my free time and responsibilities offline. I've recently been hired at a new hospital, so I'm spending less time online these days and will probably be less active on Gaia in general. I still stop in every now and then to see how things are going, however- so I'll see you around! ninja  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:27 pm
Hello again Weben! I'm glad I didn't scare anyone off. 3nodding Congratulations on your new job! *hugs* I just graduated on Wednesday, so I'm in the 'holiday limbo' while I wait for my OP results and see if I'm accepted into university. gonk I hate waiting...

That's a good idea about capitalizing the 'i' in 'It.' I was worried about what I should say when communicating with a spirit that didn't have a gender. 'Thy, thine, thee and thou' seem like good ways to avoid the word 'it,' but I felt strange saying them (not in ritual, just aloud to hear them) in my voice (that sounds weird, but saying those words with my Australian accent made it sound odd. sweatdrop )

Okay, the offerings idea is making a bit more sense now. So for Egyptian deities, I should consume the offerings? That would mean that if I ask Wepwawet to watch over a ritual of mine (not sure which one yet-I haven't done a single rite. I don't want to stuff it up. redface Because, knowing me, I will!) and I had offerings, I would have to eat them. And, if I'm making offerings to the dead, I DON'T eat the offerings. Sorry, but may I ask what you meant by 'what the dead take, they keep?' Sounds sinister... eek

I think I've heard about offerings for spirits and faeries (sorry if that's spelt wrong-for some reason, I always spell it as 'faery.' Don't know why exactly... ) How do you leave offerings of silver? Do you leave actual silver items outside, or something else to represent silver?

I'll have to look up that movie/book. Sounds kind of humourous, from the title!

Thank you again for your help, Weben! Good luck with your new job, and I'll see you around too! ninja ninja  

Rioto_Kish

Rioto_Kish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:20 am
Okay, random question- does anyone know of any good sites that explain the sabbats and equinoxes and shows the dates? I've come across one or two sites, but I get confused with the REALLY long descriptions and text walls. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:19 am
Rioto_Kish
Okay, random question- does anyone know of any good sites that explain the sabbats and equinoxes and shows the dates? I've come across one or two sites, but I get confused with the REALLY long descriptions and text walls. sweatdrop

Before I give you a site, the only dates that are really 'fixed' (because they're calculated astronomically) are the solstices and equinoxes. For the cross-quarters, different traditions use different dates. GENERALLY, cross-quarters are celebrated on either the 1st or the 31st of a month, though. Some other traditions will always do them on the 5th or calculate it relative to astrological signs.

Goverment sites are the best source for calculations for equinoxes and solstices. Here's one list...

--- http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/EarthSeasons.html

Note that the values are in universal time so you'll need to recalculate them for your particular time zone. Is this good, or were you looking for something more?  

Starlock
Crew

Rioto_Kish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:27 am
Starlock
Rioto_Kish

Before I give you a site, the only dates that are really 'fixed' (because they're calculated astronomically) are the solstices and equinoxes. For the cross-quarters, different traditions use different dates. GENERALLY, cross-quarters are celebrated on either the 1st or the 31st of a month, though. Some other traditions will always do them on the 5th or calculate it relative to astrological signs.

Goverment sites are the best source for calculations for equinoxes and solstices. Here's one list...

Note that the values are in universal time so you'll need to recalculate them for your particular time zone. Is this good, or were you looking for something more?

No, this is good-thank you Starlock! I'm still looking around for descriptions for them. Um...sorry to keep asking, but how do you calculate universal time to a different time zone? Is universal time based on the Greenwich Mean Time?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:47 pm
Rioto_Kish
Starlock
Rioto_Kish

No, this is good-thank you Starlock! I'm still looking around for descriptions for them. Um...sorry to keep asking, but how do you calculate universal time to a different time zone? Is universal time based on the Greenwich Mean Time?

I think they give you conversions somewhere on the site. Pretty sure it is also GMT... but not totally sure.  

Starlock
Crew

Rioto_Kish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:35 pm
Whoa...it's been ages since I posted here.

I finally found information on the sabbats and equinoxes, and I am determined to acknowledge and celebrate all of them starting this year, even if I can't do anything magical like celebratory rites.

Everthing's different in the southern hemisphere...grr... stare Shiva was very kind and gave me the dates of the sabbats and equinoxes for the southern hemisphere, so according to the dates, Lammas is coming up in 3 days-I'm really excited, it's going to be my first sabbat! 3nodding (Sorry, I sound a little uber-excited!)

I can't practice magic while I'm at home, so I'm going to celebrate the sabbats and equinoxes by non-magical means. (Ie: for Imbolc I'm going to clean my room and plant a seedling.) For Lammas, I'm trying to find either a yellow or orange ribbon to wear in my hair, and I'm going to eat bread-based foods for one of my meals that day.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:16 am
Nice. Hmm... what did I do? Usually I have decorations out already for fall, but during the fall tide I always have leaves from outside scattered about everywhere. I clear them out at winter solstice.  

Starlock
Crew

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:27 pm
Last Lammas, my neices, nephew and I went and fed birds bread at the park and went and picked berries at the farm next to their neighborhood. (:

You don't need to go to extremes to honor the seasons, just simple activities is perfectly fine in my book. It means the world to share them with other people, even if they don't know you're celebrating a holiday. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:49 am
I actually sat down yesterday and went through each sabbat and equinox and thought of ways that I could celebrate each one via non-magical means. It was really good, because I came up with at least two things for each day, and it proved that I can celebrate each one without practicing magic. Most of the ideas involved wearing the associated colours and eating certain foods, and for some days (such as Yule) I'm going to donate to a charity as a form of gift.

I love the idea of having leaves in the house, Starlock! It sounds very nice. Do you place them in a specific place or do you just scatter them everywhere?

Jezehbelle: Your Lammas sounded like fun! I learnt that you don't need to be very elaborate when celebrating-and it would make it easier to share it with others, because to them it wouldn't look like a holiday!  

Rioto_Kish

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:04 am
Rioto_Kish
I actually sat down yesterday and went through each sabbat and equinox and thought of ways that I could celebrate each one via non-magical means. It was really good, because I came up with at least two things for each day, and it proved that I can celebrate each one without practicing magic. Most of the ideas involved wearing the associated colours and eating certain foods, and for some days (such as Yule) I'm going to donate to a charity as a form of gift.

I love the idea of having leaves in the house, Starlock! It sounds very nice. Do you place them in a specific place or do you just scatter them everywhere?

That's all it takes sometimes... just sit down and brainstorm. You can get ideas from books and stuff too, not just ones in the New Age section. Some of the better inspiration might come from books on holidays in general (I forget the dewey call numbers for that off the top of my head).

Usually I put leaves where I can. When I was still in college, I pressed the leaves while they dried and then pinned them up high on the wall so it had the feel of wallpaper triming. Every fall I'll collect fall leaves I think are beautiful, press them so they don't curl up when they're drying, and decorate with them. I collect throughout the fall and almost never take a leaf from a branch; I wait until the Tree has given it freely. Once fall is done I cast them back outside. I prefer this to, say, buying those silk fall foliage things in craft stores; it's more eco-friendly and it makes it more of a ritual if I have to gather new leaves every year. whee  
The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games