Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Who here actually READS anymore?(I do and I'm proud of it!) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How are you? (I'm FORCING you to answer nicely!)
  Very fine thank you.
  Not very well I'm afraid.
View Results

Clash of Vision

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:03 am
I love reading, but when I start actually reading I become obsessive. I once bought a book and stayed up the whole night/morning reading it. Finished it in the morning and went to school. Needless to say, I can be quite the reader sometimes. Right now I've been reading the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher.

UraniumMonk
Does anybody else read much H. P. Lovecraft?

I do, though I haven't been recently. There's been a release of an anthology of stories written by contemporary Japanese authors that play upon the Cthulhu Mythos. It's called Night Voices, Night Journeys, and it's edited by a Asamatsu Ken. I would recommend checking it out if you're into the Cthulhu Mythos in general.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:44 pm
i have to say i love reading heart although i have quite a library because i buy them whenever i can and unfortunately i'm a bit of a slow reader. My dad also reads alot so when he finishes a book he gives it to me sweatdrop I'm currently reading The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice i love her novels and i'm planning to read some clive barker books my dad gave me biggrin  

Vampirickitty

Gloomymort

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:56 pm
razorblade6060
Seriouslly! Who really goes to the bookstore, gets a copy of "the red badge of courage" and reads anymore. I still do! The amount of people who go to the bookstore for something besides anime is dwindling...Anime is cool but try reading something else as well for a change.

While I have a topic started here, I would like to ask how many goths you know/meet that you would consider intelligent/"geeky" (read books, know about history, literature, science, don't hate school...) It seems like a lot of people these days just headbang to some metal band, wear black, and say they're goth. No. I'm sorry. Those qualities alone can't make you goth. Or at least "true goth". They should read up about goth a bit more.

Also, who here plays an instument? What do you play, for how long, and do you wright your own music?

i read anything from young adults (im 20 so maby i shouldnt read them any more but i dont car) to slightly naughty books
at the mo im reading the never ending story and did you know im about 6 chapters in and in the film it ends around there
i like to read comics such as GloomyCookie, Dark Stalkers and other things like that

if im watching a film/anime i like to watch the original language one
they just seem better you know

i dont know many other goths
when i was at school i didnt talk to the other goths ... dunno why i just didnt and not many of them seemed to like me much
the gothy kids i see now are just.....well from my old school they just all seem emo...
i get none of that 'oi you gothick' any more.. which i kind of miss in an odd way

i own and instrument if that counts?
im more of an arty person, some of my work is on Deviant art im Gloomy mort over there as well so go look if you want comment and such

Gloomy  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:29 pm
Mmm... I like to read, I just don't do so very often unless it's for school. I want to start reading again, though.  

EvFaerAshlynn

Verienkeli

Girl-Crazy Genius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:31 pm
I've read Tolkien's work more times than I care to count, the entire Divine Comedy (if you attempt this know that the Paradiso is about as interesting as reading a phone book) and numerous other great works. So yes, I read a lot.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:39 pm
    I still like to read regular novels...
    I used to play the violin, too, and I kind of regret quitting...but I really didn't like my orchestra teacher...
    And I do not hate school that much, mostly I just hate most of the teachers and students.

frigid gator

Alliecat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:01 pm
I love reading.

I'm almost finished with- A peoples History of the United States (by Howard Zinn)

And the Mars series: Red mars curently

All the Goths I know are pretty intelligent. We all know our history and can debate history and politics easily. The Goths I see at clubs seem to not be that intelligent, but put forth more of an aura of -"I'm so great and look the best here" or some sort of snooty attitude which I guess could be mistaken for intelligence. But not all of them. Some I talk to and are really cool. Most, I can't stand.

But I just go to dance anyways. ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:32 am
I personally read alot and i love to read i just finished a book about Egypt. Only down side to me reading is the fact that I read extreamly fast so I go through books like crazy. Prior to the Egypt book I read the Divinci Code, Angels and Demons, and a couple of Clive Barker's books.

as for the music part I am so not muscially inclined heh heh heh  

Kaydienne

Oterys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:16 am
I don't read as often as I like, but I do read quite a bit. Of course I have books just waiting to be read too from those times when I go on my book buying sprees and buy books for my collections. Currently I'm bouncing between the Darkover Series, the Discworld Series, and the Immortality Series. Of course I have books that I bought years ago and never found the time to read or re-read them. But I'm a collector of books as well as a reader so I've begun collecting books on just about everything.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:21 am
i still read,i think its fun and its also a very good passtime.reading has been my favorite thing along with music for my life so far.

i dont know alot of people who read alot,i think more people should,it actually is fun for all you non-readers.when you sit down with a good book its almost like your in it,i think everyone should experience that,and see if they like it.  

Stargazer Dante

Stargazer Dante

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:23 am
Kaydienne
I personally read alot and i love to read i just finished a book about Egypt. Only down side to me reading is the fact that I read extreamly fast so I go through books like crazy. Prior to the Egypt book I read the Divinci Code, Angels and Demons, and a couple of Clive Barker's books.

as for the music part I am so not muscially inclined heh heh heh

yeah i read fast too,i fnished harry potter5 in like two days.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:25 am
EvFaerAshlynn
Mmm... I like to read, I just don't do so very often unless it's for school. I want to start reading again, though.

yeah,once you stop its very hard to start cuz you can never find time.  

Stargazer Dante

Stargazer Dante

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:27 am
i play clarinet in school,i just cant get high ti and do (its hard man!)

my dads teaching me gutair now,thats what i really wanna learn.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:34 am
*raises my hand* I'm guilty of spending large quanities of time on manga and anime based books. However I've had a long standing history of reading. In fact when I was in elementry school and middle school I was on teams that the purpose of was to read and then compete in knowledge of the material on the designated reading list.
In elementry school it was called Battle of the Books or B.O.B. for short, and middle school was Challenge of the books or C.O.B. for short. The last year of B.O.B. I was in I read over 70 books. 3nodding Granted some of those books were easier than others, and they were divided into catagories of Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Picture book.

Then again I also attempted to tackle Moby d**k when I was in 5th grade. -_-* That was a bit of a disaster since when I wasn't being bored to pieces I was feeling very very ill from the parts of the description I was comprehending. Living in a land locked state, nautical terms weren't exactly something I was familar with after all. -_-****

I still find reading to be an important part of my life, and I'll read fantasy novels on occasion when the mood strikes me. The occasional sci-fi novel has also found it's way into my hands. Overall I'm not as fond of most of the "Great literary works" though. Most of them are over-rated in my personal opinion, and books you're forced to read in high school tend to loose value and meaning because of the nature of not being able to choose to read or not read them. Making anything mandatory like that sucks the joy out of reading something for the pure entertainment of reading a piece.

I suppose I've gotten a bit rambly, but I think overall I've gotten most of what I wanted to say across, and I can always add more later when I'm more awake I suppose. 3nodding  

lurichan
Vice Captain

-Hija de Cristo-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:00 am
I love to read, it's one of my favorite pastimes (excluding drawing lol). My favorite series so far is the Warriors Series by Erin Hunter, it's kind of an easier series, but it's still good smile I also like Taichaser's Song (the author's name is escaping my mind right now...)

However, I am guilty of reading a lot of manga... like, A LOT of manga. lol I have those friends who just hand me a new manga whenever I see them lol Currently, my favorite is the Pet shop of Horrors series smile

Unlike a lot of my friends, I love school. Especially AP US History (APUSH). Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for taking APUSH in the first place, but they think I'm really crazy for loving the class, and calling it my favorite... School as a whole is great, except for a few teachers and classes that are insanely dry.

I play the guitar, and I have played for maybe half a year, however, I have given it up for the time being, since I don't have much time to play anymore sad
I used to play the flute, though, and that was fun, except for my band teacher. I couldn't stand him, and thus, I quit.

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff