Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:13 pm
DNA_Guru
Greece is really....not a place of wealth. Woo olives? o_o
Seriously I have no ******** idea why the Romans even bothered. Perhaps they felt the need to take over an influential race. o__O

Yes, olives! Olive oil was invaluable in the anciet world, you should know that. And yes, they were an incredibly influential culture, so it just might've been pride in conquering such people, or the fear that because they were so influential, they posed some sort of threat.

Who knows, maybe the Greeks were also incredible sea salt collectors, and was salt was incredibly expensive back in those days. That's just an assumption though, based on the fact that the Greeks are connected to their sea. sweatdrop I'm sure we could look it up if need be.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:41 am
I thought that the Romans wanted to rule what they knew as the world. neutral  

Delithraldur

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:24 am
WellzY
DNA_Guru
Greece is really....not a place of wealth. Woo olives? o_o
Seriously I have no ******** idea why the Romans even bothered. Perhaps they felt the need to take over an influential race. o__O

Yes, olives! Olive oil was invaluable in the anciet world, you should know that. And yes, they were an incredibly influential culture, so it just might've been pride in conquering such people, or the fear that because they were so influential, they posed some sort of threat.

Who knows, maybe the Greeks were also incredible sea salt collectors, and was salt was incredibly expensive back in those days. That's just an assumption though, based on the fact that the Greeks are connected to their sea. sweatdrop I'm sure we could look it up if need be.

I know the whole olives thing, but you don't take over a poorly soiled country for purposes of olives. Not when you already have Spain, Sardinia, Corsica and Sicily.
I stick with my influential race theory along with possibly a passage to the east?
I really have no idea. I admit to lacking knowledge on the Roman control of Greece. On Greece I know practically all the various powerplays up to the death of Alexander the Great. I get a bit sketchy from there. I might have to find some info methinks. I've always wanted to know about the invasions of Greece. The ones they couldn't repel. xp  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:54 pm
I refuse to let this topic die! *bangs fist (lightly) on desk and makes a face*

So ... how about that lurvly heatwave we have up here in Canada, eh? *les sigh, les pant* Seriously, it's brutal. We're looking at temps in the 30's and then we add the humidity which sends it soaring into the 40's. It's enough to make a person wanna curl up in the fridge and cry. *whimpers*  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:10 am
Woo. XD
You canucks would be dying yes?
I live on the coast, sub-tropical region, relatively nice weather all year round. But I do remember one Saturday...last year I think, in Summer, it was upwards of 40 degrees and I had a Cricket game. It was the only toss our Captain won that season, thank god he did, otherwise the heat would have killed us. D:  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:39 am
DNA_Guru
Woo. XD
You canucks would be dying yes?
I live on the coast, sub-tropical region, relatively nice weather all year round. But I do remember one Saturday...last year I think, in Summer, it was upwards of 40 degrees and I had a Cricket game. It was the only toss our Captain won that season, thank god he did, otherwise the heat would have killed us. D:

Oi ... I couldn't imagine playing any outdoor sports in weather like this. Unless it has something to do with the ice arena ... nuh-uh. However, all my countrymen think I'm insance because I'm soaking up this heat like a sponge and haven't wilted once. I love it hot. I could do with a little less humidity to be honest, but that's just because it wreaks havoc on my asthma. Other than that I'm loving this summer and giving a good ear bashing to anyone who complains about it. They whine all winter that it's too cold (which I agree with only because I hate the cold ... HATE the cold!), then they moaned and complained all last summer that it was too cold and rainy (temps in the mid 20's nearly all summer long! not hot enough for me!) ... and now this summer they won't stop bickering that it's too hot! Ugh! I could slap the lot of 'em, I tell ya. I don't care what they say, I'll spend all my days off on the beach quite happily and soak up the rays ... as long as I'm properly lubed with sunscreen first. *winks*  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:08 am
Hehe. Well I just like nce weather, I do prefer the cold though although our winters are considerably mild really. Although I don't like it when it's below ten, it's a tad chilly for me then. I'm lucky I play indoor cricket int the off season otherwise I'd freeze to death, relly warms me up it does. :3
But yeah the weather is nothing to complain about here. Mild sometimes a little too warm but otherwise bearable. <3  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:26 pm
*annoyed glare* Yeah ... you guys are treated pretty easy in your winters. I wouldn't mind having spring weather all winter long. *grumbles, then winks* It's pretty nasty up here in the winter. I'm sure you've heard the horror stories about the dreaded Canadian winters, though. *laughs* It can be pretty rough. I'd rather hybernate the whole season away and only poke my nose out when the temps reach the mid teens again. And that's why I belong in Australia! Not bloody cold Canada! *laughs*  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:15 am
Bah, it's what you grow up with I guess. I mean I b***h about the winters here, but you do. I hate the frigging snow though. XD
I can't ski or snowboard so that's sort of gay....but it scares meee....
Anyway I like the looser gun laws of Canada. XD  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:21 am
DNA_Guru
I know the whole olives thing, but you don't take over a poorly soiled country for purposes of olives. Not when you already have Spain, Sardinia, Corsica and Sicily.
I stick with my influential race theory along with possibly a passage to the east?
I really have no idea. I admit to lacking knowledge on the Roman control of Greece. On Greece I know practically all the various powerplays up to the death of Alexander the Great. I get a bit sketchy from there. I might have to find some info methinks. I've always wanted to know about the invasions of Greece. The ones they couldn't repel. xp

If I weren't almost colapsing from fatigue, I'd look it up right now, because I'm suddely very interested.

Bemused - You would hate me then. Whenever it gets to Winter, I'm in love. a month later, and I can't stop bitching, and I can't wait for the return of summer. Then, summer finally saunters into view, and I'm in love. Same process, and I can't wait for winter again.

Melbournes a little harsher when it comes to the winter period. It's wetter and colder than the other norhter capitals ( poor Hobart) with an average winter temp of around 15 degrees celcius.  

WellzY
Crew

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:02 pm
Wellzy - *mumbles something not so nice about 15 C being cold, sticks tongue out* Try -30C sometime and then you can have room to complain. *laughs* It's wretched up here. I really, really hate the cold. Once it reaches about 14 and under I'm usually bundled up in sweaters and jackets to winter coats. Cold is not my friend. My ultimate goal is to spend winter (your summer) in Oz, and summer (up here) in California or something. *nods* That's my big dream. Of course, I'd have no complaints for the rest of my life if I could just get my butt to Australia someday! *shakes little fist at the sky* Damn you foiling my plans to sit on a sandy beach and oggle the tanned natives! *laughs*

Guru - Don't feel bad, hun. I live in snow for roughly six months per year and I can't even ice skate. *makes a face* I always look forward to summer when I can strip everything (nearly) off and just be me again! Sans cold!

This summer has been a dream come true for me so far, though. While everyone else is wilting and drying up, I'm a virtual sponge. It's been nothing but a continuous heatwave for about two months now and I've been loving every second of it. Temps in the high 30's, then the humidex on top of that (which I could honestly do without as it just bumps the temp into the 40's or more, a tad extreme even for a heat monger like me). For about five or six weeks straight we had heat warnings, extreme heat warnings and smog adviseries in effect. But alas it rained the past two days and now I'm strutting around in long pants and a sweater again in the mere 26 degree weather. *grumps and pouts*  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:09 am
I'm having a lovely Winter. The temperatures are just...nice. When the sun comes out, it's bliss. whee

Hmm, I read over a few articles on Wikipedia last night and I think I found out why the Romans occupied Greece.
It started with 4 conflicts agains Macedonia, which they instigated. It basically ended up with the Romans just defending themselves.  

DNA_Guru
Captain

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:02 am
I'm sure winters there would be bliss for me regardless of the sun shining. *laughs*

And you know, all this talk about Greece and the Romans makes me think you'd get on rather well with my best friend (she goes by Anarae on Gaia). I think she's taken Greek or Roman history in Uni. Dunno how much of it she remembers, but I'm sure you could have some interesting discussions about it. Her favourite people, I do believe, were the Spartans. *nods*  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:31 am
xd

I have to do Spartans as a Society in Ancient History, I'm possibly the best in my class on the topic really. Personally I prefer the Athenians and the Thebans, but it's all good.

Nah, Sparta shouldn't have won the Peloponnesian War fraggit. Dx  

DNA_Guru
Captain

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:56 pm
Anarae had a good laugh at that. *smiles*

I know virtually nothing about Ancient History. The only stuff I know is what I've read on here through your debate with other members, and from the random mumblings of an English-turned-Classics Major, Anarae. Aside from that, I'm a blank page. *nods and smiles sheepishly*  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff