Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply _The Agora_ ! Art ! Focused Discussion ! Debate ! *Under Construction*
Daily Discussions: Your Not-So-Daily Discussion! (Updated!) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:32 pm
Atma311
Jameta
Of course, I'd first answer with the dictionary definition (and try to say that that's the dictionary definition; I've tried to say it before, but one person wouldn't let me get a word in edge wise). Then I'd probably say something like, "But in common terms, it applies to any 'non-mainstream' faith, generally not with Abrahamic roots."

To mean, Pagan is an umbrella term that is very hard to define; it doesn't have a strict set of rules, and can be used as an 'Other' option.

Atma: What, you didn't think I'd have exceptions? blaugh

Nah. I was just using my personal experience from my roommate asking me what Pagan meant sweatdrop
Nothing wrong with that. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:57 pm
New Discussion:

You've had your work schedule for the past 3 months. You've had you band schedule since spring. You've had your drama schedule for the past 2 months. you've known it was your niece's birthday since she was born 5 years ago.

You've got school from 8-2. Band from 2-4. Your niece's b-day party is from 3-5. Work from 4-6. Drama from 7-10. This is your life on Friday.

the biggest concert of your FAVORITE band and a bunch of other ones you like is friday also, and it starts at 3oclock and doesn't stop untill midnight, But you won't get home until 2am because of traveling and traffic, and your crush just asked you to go with him/her and they've already bought a ticket for you.

Circumstances:
If you skip another day of school you get a 3 day suspension
If you have an unexcused absence from Band, you don't get to perform at half-time next week.
If you miss your niece's birthday party, no big deal (we're pretending you're 16-18, I'm sure they don't expect you to come)
Work is going to be extra-busy and since you weren't doing anything on friday (besides practice) you switched with your friend who could afford the concert tickets
If you miss drama practice then you risk losing some respect from your favorite teacher.

-however-

If you miss the concert, then you miss your chance at having the best time of your life and spending it with the person you've had a crush on for a very long time.

What do you do? If you have an excused absence from school, then you won't get in trouble for missing band and choir practice. It's possible to call in sick for work, but you're still pretty new so you're unsure about whether or not you'll be allowed.

DEESCUZHEN!

Quadadiddle
Crew

Quadadiddle
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:01 pm
I would talk my mom into calling the school saying I'm sick so that I wouldn't get in trouble for missing band or drama. I'd just explain to my niece and brother that there's a really big concert, but I'll show up for a few minutes so that we can get pictures together. After all, the concert is 9 hours long and they won't get seriously started until later. I'd just call in sick for work and say I'm throwing up horribly and I can hardly breathe.

Then I'd meet my crush and goto the concert!

And if mom wouldn't go with it, I'd call the school myself pretending to be my dad, and tell mom that I've got a huge project due monday that me and a few friends are going to be working on, and since it's friday I'll just stay the night.

Hey, I'm 16, I'm allowed to do this stuff =P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:52 pm
New Discussion:

What is your idea of a perfect world. Some of us are more idealistic than others and might think of an ideal world as being different from yours. Some of us might remove all pollution-causing vehicles while another person might want to remove all vehicles completely (so no stray animals sound get killed or whatever other reasons).

Tell us what do you think an ideal world would be like to you. What would you do to the world to make everything JUST the way you like it?  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:59 pm
I think the perfect world is the current. Because I am at peace with myself, and like myself the way I am. Should the world be different, I'd be different and I'm not really to keen on that.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:55 am
The world was perfect to begin with, but people have made the world... much less satisfying to live in xp  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:35 pm
Perfect world?

Well, an universal environment of accepting mistakes, change, and a difference in perspectives. "Perfection" is a funny word, as those I would deem 'perfect' would be seen as mistake-prone to others.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:03 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
I think the perfect world is the current. Because I am at peace with myself, and like myself the way I am. Should the world be different, I'd be different and I'm not really to keen on that.

I agree here- this world was created perfect, in perfect proportions and with systems in place which guide it back toward balance even when things go awry. The problems which we experience in this world are mainly because we- ourselves and our communities- are out of balance. However, when even one person aligns him or herself with his or her appropriate role it makes things that much easier for others to snap into place in his or her wake. But most people don't know this, and so we continue to struggle against the world rather than live within it.-_-

So the perfect world would be this one, with all things fulfilling their roles in a manner appropriate to themselves and everything around them.  

WebenBanu

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:17 pm
Initially, I expected to hear "no murders, no rapes, no wars" etc., but that's not really a problem with the world... that's a problem with humanity. I guess a better wording for it would be this:

What do you think the world would be like if all of humanity had a great respect for nature throughout all its existance?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:06 pm
"All of humanity"? That, at times, can be a hard concept to grasp, as although we are of the same species, and even having very close DNA structures, we are very different in characteristics.

Of course, we have to define nature here. Is it the environment, such as the Earth and the solar system, or is it the greater all? If we look at environmen, we can have great respect for nature and even that within it, but we can still take advantage of our fellow man. It is hard for me to grasp what would happen if respected the second interpretation, as even though it is possible, it is a very hard goal to reach.  

Jameta
Captain

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:35 pm
New Topic (sorry it took so long to get up sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:28 pm
Ooh, this one is tough. There's different views depending on where you go. Say, if you're in India, many Hindus will think, "Great for you!" If you have a spritiual leader or great deity, some Hindu areas might actually 'absorb' your beliefs into theirs. Of course, this is more likely to happen in the rural than urban, as the urban (from my brief study) tend to be... well, they'll let you believe what you want, but what they believe is better.

In the Middle East, you can be a heretic for simply not being born in a certain area.

If we want to look into Western Culture, I would say the majority is undereducated about Paganism and base many or their assumptions on old fear- and conrtol-based ideas from over the past centuries.  

Jameta
Captain

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:56 am
Atma311
What do you think the world would be like if all of humanity had a great respect for nature throughout all its existance?

One, we'd be using or technologies more responsibly and we wouldn't be having rapid global warming like we are right now. It might be that we would stay without much of the technology we have now, living more on the level of ancient Pagan civilizations of Greece, Egypt, Mayans, and the Native Americans. Instead of scaring the face of the planet with our cities and this rediculous urban sprawl, we'd probably contain ourselves a little better too.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:24 pm
I think I'm going to change the subject some time this week, if not today... o.o  

Winter Black
Crew

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:52 pm
Updated. sweatdrop  
_The Agora_ ! Art ! Focused Discussion ! Debate ! *Under Construction*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers