Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:10 am
DNA_Guru
Ah yes, Well you see, I was already on mainland England/Ireland at the time of Joan of Arc. We came over in 1066 at Hastings. So yeah pretty before the whole French thing. 3nodding

Oh but you're still Norman scum, who ravaged the country-side, and completely change the way the nation was run. In fact, it wasn't really a nation at all, just a territory, untill it became disconnected from Aquitain after the French conquered Normandy, or some s**t like that.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:13 am
WellzY
DNA_Guru
Ah yes, Well you see, I was already on mainland England/Ireland at the time of Joan of Arc. We came over in 1066 at Hastings. So yeah pretty before the whole French thing. 3nodding

Oh but you're still Norman scum, who ravaged the country-side, and completely change the way the nation was run. In fact, it wasn't really a nation at all, just a territory, untill it became disconnected from Aquitain after the French conquered Normandy, or some s**t like that.

Bah we Normans created stability for the English country. Saxons...psh..Germans have a hell of a time doing anything. Viva la Doomesday. domokun  

DNA_Guru
Captain

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:15 am
DNA_Guru
Bah we Normans created stability for the English country. Saxons...psh..Germans have a hell of a time doing anything. Viva la Doomesday. domokun

I suppose all the baffles your Norman ancestors made in managing the country, lead to the creation and consistent ratiffication of the Magna Carta, which crippled their autocratic powers. I wish I knew this period more in depth so we could actually argue which was better.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:18 am
Yeah. I'm a little sketchy on details too. I did by Simon Schama's History of Britain books, so I'll have to read them eventually.  

DNA_Guru
Captain

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:21 am
My dad's friend tapes and copied the entire series while it was on SBS (or was it ABC?) I also just get bored sometimes and pull out an Encyclopaedia and flip thruogh that for a while. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:25 am
WellzY
My dad's friend tapes and copied the entire series while it was on SBS (or was it ABC?) I also just get bored sometimes and pull out an Encyclopaedia and flip thruogh that for a while. sweatdrop

Awesome. It was on SBS. My Dad bought me the books. I just find British, or just history really interesting. I too am guilty of looking up random shizzle in an encyclopaedia.. gonk  

DNA_Guru
Captain

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:28 am
DNA_Guru
WellzY

Awesome. It was on SBS. My Dad bought me the books. I just find British, or just history really interesting. I too am guilty of looking up random shizzle in an encyclopaedia.. gonk

But it such a good time filler, how could a bored individual not look through them?

I've read of Simon Schama's book on France and the French Revolution when I was going Revolutions in year 12 last year.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm just a generall history buff as well. And now that I'm going to a different Uni, I can do Origins of Western Civiliation, instead of contemporary hisrory that I used to be doing. Le sigh. cool  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:31 am
Good point. XD

Hmm, I don't have to read much for Ancient, just some of the Historians when I can be bothered.  

DNA_Guru
Captain

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:35 am
DNA_Guru
Good point. XD

Hmm, I don't have to read much for Ancient, just some of the Historians when I can be bothered.

While historians pose an interesting view, there is the fact that they do include their view, and might be arguing from a certain angle. That way, you might lose some of the meaning or interpretation of certain events etc. Historians do quote primary sources though, which something like the Encyclopaedia don't.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:39 am
WellzY
DNA_Guru
Good point. XD

While historians pose an interesting view, there is the fact that they do include their view, and might be arguing from a certain angle. That way, you might lose some of the meaning or interpretation of certain events etc. Historians do quote primary sources though, which something like the Encyclopaedia don't.

Oh man, don't get me started on the reliability of Historians. I do a course that is primarily devoted to that theme. It's a good course though, love it.
Well what Ancient sources I read are pretty much the only primary sources contemporary to the time. Such as Thucydides and Herodotus. I read straight from them and rarely from modern historians.  

DNA_Guru
Captain

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:41 am
DNA_Guru
WellzY
DNA_Guru
Good point. XD

Oh man, don't get me started on the reliability of Historians. I do a course that is primarily devoted to that theme. It's a good course though, love it.
Well what Ancient sources I read are pretty much the only primary sources contemporary to the time. Such as Thucydides and Herodotus. I read straight from them and rarely from modern historians.

Ancient historians are they? No guessing required, they sound Greek, and I know you're a fan of that sort of History as well. I find it interesting as well, but a little confusing in the fact that they didn't consider themselves as Greeks, as it was the Romans who gave them all that title.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:08 am
Indeed.
They did at times refer to themselves as 'Hellenes' but very rarely. One such example however was during the Persian Invasions of 480-479 BC.
If you want to be specific, Thucydides was an Athenian Noble and Herodotus was from Harlicarnassus in the East.
But yeah, they only held allegiance with their city states not as a unified nation. However I'm not sure how they referred to themselves under Macedonian control.  

DNA_Guru
Captain

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:00 am
DNA_Guru
Indeed.
They did at times refer to themselves as 'Hellenes' but very rarely. One such example however was during the Persian Invasions of 480-479 BC.
If you want to be specific, Thucydides was an Athenian Noble and Herodotus was from Harlicarnassus in the East.
But yeah, they only held allegiance with their city states not as a unified nation. However I'm not sure how they referred to themselves under Macedonian control.

Ooooh, hence the Hellenic period. I was wandering where that name came from, because I had no idea. I should've known it was the name the ancient Greeks gave themselves, before the proliferation of the Romans.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:11 pm
I know nothing of my Familly History.

All i know is im a certain Percent Russian, either that or my Russian Relatives are just Real close friends of the family....im to lazy to find out.  

WarriorShadow

Elerina

Apocalyptic Warrior

27,375 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle Hardened 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:45 am
ethuil
but the german side I could do without...ppl hear it and instantly ask me if I'm related to hitler.... stare
if I was, It's not something I'd parade...

I find it highly unlikely that you'd be ever related to Hilter...he wasn't German. Hitler in fact was Austrian. He just moved to Germany and caused a ruckus later on in life and henceforth became assoicated with Germany. And if you don't believe me...check it out. Hitler was Austrian born, not German.
Anyways... enough of hitler...

The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces