Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Horrible word Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hate the word chu?
  Indubitably!
  Not really.
View Results

Embargo_ograbme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:39 am
I hate that word... it's just there to combine two words together... I know one of the words is you, but what is the other one?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:50 pm
Honestly, I don't mind it when people really do speak that way. (Ex: If they're from Africa or somewhere where they speak differently.) However, it annoys me if a person is saying it that way to sound cool, or updated. confused  

The One and Only Guardian

Subservient Nonentity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:36 pm
In my eyes, 'chu' is a rather cute noise... coming from a young person (such as a toddler or tween), of course. To hear it from a more mature person is rather childish.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:44 pm
[Shan.Raikou]

When I first read the word "chu" in this thread, my brain immediately went into "too much anime" mode. I thought you were talking about the Japanese "chu", wich I think means "kiss". It doesn't annoy me in Japanese, as it's a real word, but when they use it to replace "you", that does get on my nerves...

[Shan.Raikou]

Ahh, I agree. I didn't want to seem like the odd one out, so I thought of little American children and their tendancy to say 'Chuuuu', which I find adorable as my niece so oft says it.  

Subservient Nonentity

Subservient Nonentity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:49 pm
Ezra Pound
LarryTheLlama666
Ekame
Chu probably originated from accents and speaking too quickly. Admittedly, I often use "Wha'chya" when greeting friends in face to face speech. As for accents, think of a southerner, who might say "'Ey, wh'chu doin'?"

Did you know there are a group of people who want to change the whole English language to phonetics...?
Really?

I'm one of them.

Why would a person wish to change our written language? It would be very difficult for such a change to occur, as all of our written word would have to be translated, and in some cases, re-translated, so that it does not become archaic and forgotten.

You obviously have no problems with punctuation or spelling, so what is your reasoning?

If I come off as a tad rude, I do apologize as I am only curious.
(Yes, I have been likened to a cat many times.) 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:58 pm
subservient_x_nonentity
Ezra Pound
LarryTheLlama666
Ekame
Chu probably originated from accents and speaking too quickly. Admittedly, I often use "Wha'chya" when greeting friends in face to face speech. As for accents, think of a southerner, who might say "'Ey, wh'chu doin'?"

Did you know there are a group of people who want to change the whole English language to phonetics...?
Really?

I'm one of them.

Why would a person wish to change our written language? It would be very difficult for such a change to occur, as all of our written word would have to be translated, and in some cases, re-translated, so that it does not become archaic and forgotten.

You obviously have no problems with punctuation or spelling, so what is your reasoning?

If I come off as a tad rude, I do apologize as I am only curious.
(Yes, I have been likened to a cat many times.) 3nodding

Obviously, such a change would occur over time. Probably this would also come to include incorporating a variety of other changes to the language. This would result in a new language ("New English" for the sake of providing a name), and what is presently Modern English would become archaic. And just so you know, by "time" I'm talking a few centuries.

I would greatly prefer a standardized pronunciation scheme because English, as it is now, is way too chaotic.

Eye wood grately preefur eigh pstandirdeyezd proughnunseeeighshun skeem beekuz Inglisch, az it iz nau, iz weigh two keighaughtik.

.. see what I mean?  

The Man who was Thursday

saotomi5102

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:43 pm
Never heard of the word CHU but it does sound annoying and i have never heard it. rofl  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:06 pm
Ugh, I hate "HOW ARE CHUUUUUU DOING~? <333" My friend talks like that lot. She's not ghetto, though.  

Fuujin-chan

Sparkly Gekko

8,000 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100

Wesa Ada

Chatty Fatcat

8,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:10 pm
+~+
If you read this line, remember not the hand that wrote it...+~+

Well, I would only use it in real life, because I tend to slur several words together as I talk.
Bad habit really, but my friends understand me at least.

Example: 'Chupta, dude? Ahmoff to Biology.

I'm told that it takes a week's worth of listening to me to get what I'm saying. :/

+~+Remember only the verse, songmaker's cry...
+~+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:06 pm
It's okay if you are talking casually and quickly with friends, but speaking formally or writing at all it bugs me to no end!  

Midnight_Kitten6216

Luxx Aeternam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:10 pm
Of course it annoys me. But what annoys me more is when "axed" is used instead of "asked."  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:12 pm
asgard_seven
Of course it annoys me. But what annoys me more is when "axed" is used instead of "asked."

lol futurama  

The Man who was Thursday

Subservient Nonentity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:49 pm
Ezra Pound

Obviously, such a change would occur over time. Probably this would also come to include incorporating a variety of other changes to the language. This would result in a new language ("New English" for the sake of providing a name), and what is presently Modern English would become archaic. And just so you know, by "time" I'm talking a few centuries.

I would greatly prefer a standardized pronunciation scheme because English, as it is now, is way too chaotic.

Eye wood grately preefur eigh pstandirdeyezd proughnunseeeighshun skeem beekuz Inglisch, az it iz nau, iz weigh two keighaughtik.

.. see what I mean?

confused Nope. Can't really say I do.

It took me a few minutes to read that passage. I had to let my brain adjust.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:07 pm
subservient_x_nonentity
Ezra Pound

.. see what I mean?

confused Nope. Can't really say I do.

It took me a few minutes to read that passage. I had to let my brain adjust.

The point is that it's still pronounced the exact same way.

You know why? Because English is ******** up, and in dire need of an overhaul.  

The Man who was Thursday

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces