Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
Tolkien Q&A and Informative Thread -Open! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you worried about Feanor?
  Yes!
  ... I suppose not?
  Feh! Of course not!
View Results

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:18 am
Yes well he was only odd for his time. It was funny though. Gimli's father (Gloin) hates Legolas' father (Thranduil) for locking him and the other twelve dwarves in the dungeons of Mirkwood in The Hobbit. (( I guess that make us funny too Thrain xd ))
Remember for those of you who read the books and for those of you who didn't there was a part, when they were going into Lothlorien bringing up that the Dwarves of Moria and the Elves of Lothlorien got on pretty well before the Balrog. In fact the gates of Moria, part of the runes say "... Im Narvi hain echant: Celebrimboro o Eregion teithant i thiw hin" which means I, Narvi ( a Dwarf) made them (the gate of Moria). Celebrimbor of Hollin (an Elf the one in fact of crafted the the 19 other rings exculding the One that Sauron made)drew these signs.
This and other things in Tolkien's work do show the two races at points in history getting on well and even working willingly together.
As for the Middle Earth in Lord of the Rings it was a bit odd. Lothlorien and Mirkwood did tend not to let Dwarves in their realms, but also be reminded of Rivendell, who openly let dwarves and and good people in. So it all depends.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:04 pm
Ya, well that was a long time ago. Now we just chill man.  

Thrain Okensheild

Simon Wells

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:51 am
I've just been rereading The Silmarillion and found the descriptions of the creation of the dwarves and the Ents. I still can't find how or why the Hobbits were created or where they came from.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:59 pm
I don't know. I will look into it I have a book on hobbits.  

Thrain Okensheild

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:06 pm
I'm afraid there is no answer to that Thrain and Mr. Norrell. As Tolkien himself never figured it out.

On the Middle Earth side the first records of the Hobbits were from 1050 the Third Age, this DOES go against Tolkien's writing in The Hobbit mentioning the Hobbits fighting at the fall of Gondolin, of course this could not happen because after Tolkien's updates Hobbits did not even exist then, and Gondolin was a hidden city. The races of Middle Earth did seem to know of them, but thought they were only legends. They were called Periannath by the Elves, an ancient name Kud-kunkan by the Rohirrim, also Kukuk from the word Kud-dunkan, Banakil a Westron translation of Hobbit, Halflings by the Dunedain later picked up by other races, and they called themselves Hobbits. Originally found all over, mainly in the North of Middle Earth and the Vale of Anduin until 1601 in the Third Age when they came to what became the Shire. The original Hobbits were much used to dealing with other races and much braver then their mild decedents in Hobbiton.

As for the idea of Hobbit, it seems to be Tolkien's in some respect or another. He took the old English words "hol byldan" which means to build a hole more or less and compounded them into holbytla which roughly came to mean "hole-dweller" Which became Hobbit. Some people say Tolkien invented them others recall hearing a story about something called a Hobbit earlier then Tolkien's work but this Hobbit was nothing like Tolkien's more vicious and akin to a Hob- Goblin. Tolkien however refused anything like that being his source.

So there, Hobbits are just a bit of a mystery.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:47 pm
Hey, I was listening to the Hobbit and I heard about Thrain and Thranduil xd It was very cool  

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:14 am
User Image Yuuuup, we are the coolest characters mentioned aren't we Thrain?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:01 am
Yes, WE are Thranduil.  

Thrain Okensheild

Thrain Okensheild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:18 am
UPDATE SOON

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:50 am
Gimli
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Legolas
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:49 pm
Thrain Okensheild
UPDATE SOON

Oh, for real?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:54 pm
Thranduil_of_Greenwood
Thrain Okensheild
UPDATE SOON

Oh, for real?

Well at least in the weapons and armour section i receved my book on weapons of middle earth from my friend who had it for over a year! omg i thought i lost it. lol but with in the next month any whoo.. when i have some time.  

Thrain Okensheild

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:36 pm
Kuhl  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:50 am
Who has the three Elven rings? I think Galadriel, maybe Elrond and ..?  

Lady Pole
Crew

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:08 pm
Yes. Elrond had the strongest ring, Vilya, the ring of air given to him by Gil-Galad before he fell in the Last Allience. Galadriel had Nenya the ring of water. And Gandalf had Narya, the ring of fire given to him by the shipwright Cirdan ( The Elf who took Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf, Frodo, and Bilbo to the Undying Lands). This is revealed in the end of The Return of the King (the book).  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff