Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The worse possible "txt-tlk" phrase? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kamori202

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:41 pm
My problem is people who don't know which word to use. A friend of mine said this in refrence to her ex-boyfriend "...i lov him hes my bf 4evah, but i didnt no that he wud brake my hart..." AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!! burning_eyes stressed scream People who TYPE IN ALL CAPS annoy me BECAUSE THEY'RE YELLING ABOUT RANDOM THINGS THAT THEY WOULDN'T BE YELLING ABOUT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! See how annoying that is? I usually just ignore people who are using bad grammer. 1337 annoys me too, because it takes them at least two or three minutes to write something that they could type out in one. Alas, the irony of the countless hours devoted to grammer and English classes!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:54 am
Text talk is annoying, but I have to say, the thing that annoys me most is emoticons. >.O
I mean stuff that replaces letters, not things like " xp ".
I don't mind them.

[A.Modern.Myth]

HoKitsune

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:42 am
I have been talking "txt talk" for a long time, I admit it. Though it is bad grammer, I sometimes use "wth" when I talk to people in real life but I say "What the heck" so I don't say "w-t-h?" I think the most annoying "txt talk" is "1337" or whatever that is. Though, during Geometry test if the teacher lets you use calculators, "1337" would come in handy.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:11 am
evil The three things that piss me off are OMG, TBH and CBA. Just type out "to be honest" or "can't be arsed." Seriously. You could really save the person reading that crap a headache and some time. stare As for OMG? stressed Just don't use it. That phrase just sucks. evil  

Punkghoul

Vyrun

Friend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:21 pm
I don't exactly mind "txt-tlk", although "w/" and "w/e" really annoy me. I don't like it when people don't spell out their words, but it's not like I let it frustrate me. The only time it frustrates me is when people use it in stories, or "fanfics", or poems, or whatever. You're writing a story. You are NOT typing to your best friend over AIM. Have you ever seen a writer become famous without spelling out his words? NO. I didn't think so. What's worse is the lack of grammar. Save us all some moral fiber and USE PUNCUATION. Putting a period after a sentence is not that much to ask. Neither is using a comma so your sentences aren't stretched too long preventably, so they're not run-ons when they could be properly linked together. Unfortunately many sentences written by the buffoons that disregard such advice have never learned to age gracefully. You know, like the Tycoon game franchise. I once read a story without one period in it. Not one. I've seen many stories without quotation marks. I've seen poems written so badly I had to wear protective headgear to keep the memory of it from making my head bleed in every possible way and then explode. This is what REALLY annoys me.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:10 pm
All "txt-tlk" bothers me, especially when I know the person using it is old enough to be practicing good grammar and spelling for upcoming college.

My brother is in the Air Force and I can hardly tell what he's saying. A few of my many cousins talk to me online but even though it's hard to tell what they're saying, it's pointless to even try to understand because they only ever tell me trivial things; we never talk about anything important.

Generally, I avoid anyone using net-speak and "txt-tlk." It saves valuable brain cells and my patience can't handle it. Text emoticons don't bother me; they're creative, they're cute and I use them. The large pictures using symbols are neat to look at but are annoying as hell when people send them to you in chain-letters or the ever-popular chain-comments. Surveys where you must scroll down an obnoxious amount of asterisks and make a wish are also terribly annoying.

I guess I just hate it when people abuse the keyboard. It sits in front of you to be properly used, people! "Use it, don't abuse it!"  

VickoRano

terrytibbs1113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:39 am
Ahem, the following quote is a real statement, "lol omg haxx roflcopter yuu n00b!!!!!" This message was sent to me two weeks ago by a disgruntled pervert who was shouting at me for reporting him after I saw this in Barton Town, "HUMAN N ANIMALS SEX SLAVVE RP!!!!!!! PLEASE COME IM DESPRATE"
Every one of the words (apart from lol, I don't mind lol) in that PM made me want to cry. They aren't even slightly words! AAAAAAAAAGH! This man was the absolute perfect example of a stereotypical n00b. He even said the one comment that everybody uses to make fun of them, it really freaked me out! I don't know whether this was a big joke, this guy was saying it to make a point, or whether it was actually genuine, but this was a real extract from a PM that I received... *shudder*  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:53 pm
"zomg" and "pwns"
They both make me want to smack my forehead against a wall. What makes them all the more annoying is when people start to use them in rea life. Who adds Z at the front of omg when talking to someone? stare People can't seem to figure out if you are supposed to say "pawns or owns" either. Say neither and have some dignity.  

Gilco

Palundrium

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:50 pm
I have a friend who intentionally misspells words. Like good to gewd, cool to kewl, having to havin, night to nite. I have no trouble talking to people that use chatspeak, though I prefer regular English. It's amusing to hear that friend go "Gewd nite bro!"  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:26 pm
It's plz,wat,r,w8,and a lot more  

Silverleaf28

Astral Sun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:50 pm
"plz" does not mean "please". It really means "I am too lazy and/or stupid to type three extra letters."  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:21 am
I'm okay with most abbreviations. It's when they're overused or there are more than 2 per sentence that it annoys me.

The only one that ALWAYS annoys me is "asl". Probably related to how often I go in chatrooms sweatdrop  

poggles

Sparkly Fairy

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100

A c i d - R a m a

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:08 pm
I'm not against anyone who uses text-talk on the internet, but what the hell is wrong with the poeple that use it in real life?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:26 pm
Zareidriel
I don't mind 1337. I tend to speak in 1337 now and again myself. For example:

1331-1011), 1 51>331< ///1_1(1-1 1337. 5337.

I'd have to agree with Firesong. "u" is the worst.

Ok, I'm confused. What does the whole number thing that I quoted mean? I can understand some 'txt tlk' (even though it takes me even longer to type something like that than it does to do this), but when it comes to numbers, I'm lost. What does 1337 mean?  

Thee Alchemyst

6,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100

God of lunchboxes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:24 pm
Hatake_Kakashi_Sensei_fan
Zareidriel
I don't mind 1337. I tend to speak in 1337 now and again myself. For example:

1331-1011), 1 51>331< ///1_1(1-1 1337. 5337.

I'd have to agree with Firesong. "u" is the worst.

Ok, I'm confused. What does the whole number thing that I quoted mean? I can understand some 'txt tlk' (even though it takes me even longer to type something like that than it does to do this), but when it comes to numbers, I'm lost. What does 1337 mean?

1337, L33t, leet, elite. A player with alot of experience. Antonym (n008, n00b, noob, newb)  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff