Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:36 am
LilaMalvae
Nihilistic Seraph
Don't forget majyk.
OMG, I've actually encountered someone who insisted on spelling it that way. M-a-g-i-c is fine enough for me.

Wow. What was their reasoning for that particularly odd spelling?  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:12 pm
SiegeDragomon
For some odd reason the when people add a K to magic it irks me. It irks me more then it should, it seems to get under my skin to the extent i want to hit my head on the desk.

Anyway..... Why do some people find it neccecery to do this?
i think it realy depends on how it's said...for example, it's correct to spell it magick when talking about the interpretaion of gothic art, architecture, and style. and it is also correct when talking about the "old way". but i can see why it would be annoying to spell it like that in the more modern sence, or in books and games.  

twilight insanity

safkef

Liberal Shopper

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:35 pm
Phew...talk about threads that have run their course LOL  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:07 pm
I use the K in Magick simply because I admire Aleister Crowley for his skill and knowledge, I love his work and I choose to spell it that way in honor of him.  

[BlkCat]

Advent Shadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:57 am
Crowley was one of the first familiar names I came across when I started looking into my path, so I've always added the "k" to the end. My first influence, therefore, I picked up the terminology. Aside from that, it's a way of placing the difference between stage magic and real magick.

Someone made the comment about how words can be spelled the same, and mean two different things. While this is true, it's easier to understand the meanings of most of the words, simply by using the context they're used in. Simply saying the word "magic", on the other hand, can span the range of a multitude of meanings, and context rarely helps in that manner.

Furthermore, I don't really care how someone spells it, so long as I know what type they mean. Just to say such, and I mean no disrespect to anyone, some of you are quite picky about the the tiniest things.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:42 am
Kalyani Srijoi quoted Phoenixfire Lune Soleil in this which I have also found to be true, and since Crowley got us where we are today I think it only fair that we do the same.

The most common response to this question would be that is separates real magic from that of stage magic, which I can understand. Yeah, ok, it's a fair reason. But even so, some people still argue that this reason isn't good enough and there's no point in changing the proper English spelling, just to make it sound "special".
The reason people get so uptight about different spellings is mainly when people take it ridiculously far, or just use it to sound cool. As for some examples of the wild spellings of magic, Crowley certainly didn't use "majick", "majic", "magik", "magique", "majik" or "magickian". It's magic or magick, simple.
The k is of a symbolic nature in Gematria: Hebrew numerology. Here is a link to a page that explains it, just scroll down to "THE GEMATRIA OF MAGIC AND MAGICK".
In essence:
A-Z : 1-26

M A G I C K

13+1+7+9+3+11=44

44 = 4x11

4+4=8

Significance of 4: Magic is achieved through the fourfold Way: To Know; To Will; To Dare and to Be in the Silence.

Significance of 11: 11 is also an expression of duality in Numerology

Significance of 8: 8 is another number of Magic, for it is referred to Hermes, the Lord of Magic and Messenger of the Gods. Here the Magic is concerned with both Activity and Receptivite in an infinitude of Duality. Also 8 on its side is infinity.

I kept it because I have always heard this argument come up and it's a great explanation.  

Shogun_Emrys

serbus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:26 pm
Personally, I prefer to spell it "magick" or "majick" because that's how it was in Olde English (Yes, in olde, olde English it was spelled with a 'j')... I know that Olde English isn't written like that anymore, but the style of magick used during that time is what I want to tap into. Mostly it just makes me feel closer to those times, even if I'm just fooling myself.

Plus I'm an English freak and it intrigues me. I love the study of language and the history of language!

I guess I'm a bit of an old fart.

-Teshia  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:22 am
twilight insanity
SiegeDragomon
For some odd reason the when people add a K to magic it irks me. It irks me more then it should, it seems to get under my skin to the extent i want to hit my head on the desk.

i think it realy depends on how it's said...for example, it's correct to spell it magick when talking about the interpretaion of gothic art, architecture, and style. and it is also correct when talking about the "old way". but i can see why it would be annoying to spell it like that in the more modern sence, or in books and games.
Umm, what? What does magic(k) have to do at all with gothic art?  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

[BlkCat]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:54 am
Shogun_Emrys

M A G I C K

13+1+7+9+3+11=44

Kinda scary how 4's show up everywhere to me o.o especially in 44, and 444 formats.

In numerology, even, my "destiny number" or w/e it is, is 4-4.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:08 am
I personally don't use it. I don't mind others using it, as long as they know where it comes from. I too am of the belief that the actions of the individual reflect upon the group as a whole. If a person does not know why an alternate spelling is being used (and there's an actual reason behind it), then I don't believe they should be using it. It makes them look ignorant and, as these are often the most vocal magic users, it reflects badly upon the entire magic-using community. Plus, most people who use the spelling 'magick' and don't know why it's like that are complete fluffs. The way I see it, I'm going to be on them for a lot of other things, more than likely. What's the harm in pointing out yet another bit of ignorance?  

l i t h i u m b l o o m

Protectress

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:15 pm
SiegeDragomon

the k annoys me to no end as well...it really wants me to just slap them, no offense to those who do. seriously, the only people who i've seen use that are the ones who follow the whole "new age" thing...  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:04 am
Protectress
SiegeDragomon

the k annoys me to no end as well...it really wants me to just slap them, no offense to those who do. seriously, the only people who i've seen use that are the ones who follow the whole "new age" thing...

Actually the only "new age" ideas I follow are the belief in the veil, and if you want to call Aleister Crowley new age then so be it, but he's the one who started the "k" in Magick and also shared a lot of knowledge that had helped the community greatly.  

[BlkCat]

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:45 pm
Im glad you guys have a K to help you figure out the differance between a pagen ritual and a stage show. They have so much in common that the general public must not be able to tell the deference.

ALL HAIL THE LETTER k  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:43 pm
I see magick as mainly being a trendy thing to do. "Unique" spellings in general, and using k and y in particular, are common naming trends in America today. Caitlin changing to Kaitlyn is the most prominent example. From an unknown name spelled only as Caitlin 30 years ago, to having a hundred variations today, mostly involving k's and y's, and Kaitlyn making the top 20 in the 90's.  

Wood Sorrel

Purrly

Invisible Elder

8,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:00 am
¨*:·..·:*¨

When I was about 15 and new to it all, I spelled it with a 'K'.

Now, I don't feel inclined to do so. I'm not much concerned with others who choose to use the 'K'...to each their own. To me, every single step in one's path, from what deities you believe in, to how you spell something...it's about what's right for you, the individual. I'm not feelin' the 'K', so I do without. But if that's your thing, hey, use it. <3 I don't even care about the reason behind it. You could just have some weird affinity for letters. Maybe the 'K' reminds you of your great Uncle Charles. Maybe the reasoning is deep and significant, maybe not.

Point is, it's not up to anyone else. <3

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces