Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:43 am
Jameta
Nihilistic Seraph
Maybe in another generation or so they'll ber a thriving community. Maybe all the pagans are just lurking in the woodwork.
More like lurking in the golf courses. confused
xd
Suburban Parent - Be careful when getting the ball, there might be a pagan in the hole!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:16 am
Nihilistic Seraph
It's odd, I allway thought for some reason that this was all common pagan knowledge.

It is and it isn't- for those of us who live in areas where there are experienced folks who are willing to teach, it's one of the first things to get passed along. But perhaps for that reason, it doesn't seem to even occur to Pagan authors to take up space in their books with such things, so those who don't have access to personal teaching and only get textbook learning end up missing out on some odd basic skills- even though they may know more complex magical theory inside and out.

I was lucky- I grew up in a college town, so even though I was in the Deep South, our college had a Student Pagan Association which hosted classes and open circles. We were also only one state away from the usual meeting site for the South-Eastern Pagan seasonal gatherings, and several of the elders from our community played a hand in organizing it and taught some of the classes there. Now that I'm in California, Pagans are even more easy to come by, and at least once a year we have a huge gathering which draws Big Name Pagans and authors from all over the place (along with local gurus and anyone willing to organize a lesson plan) to hold seminars, exercises, and rituals. God I love California.^_^  

WebenBanu

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:20 am
We have the Young Pagan Circle. As most groups don't accept anyone until 18, a very nice woman and her children put together the Young pagan Circle for pagan of ages 12-18, to learn basic skills, round out their knowledge, and learn what they want to follow. Unique in all of Canada as far as I know. Then we have Crescent Moon, an actual school, though it costs money for lessons.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:30 am
Nihilistic Seraph
We have the Young Pagan Circle. As most groups don't accept anyone until 18, a very nice woman and her children put together the Young pagan Circle for pagan of ages 12-18, to learn basic skills, round out their knowledge, and learn what they want to follow.

Wow, how does she get around the legal problems? It's great that there's someone out there willing to risk her neck for the sake of free education, but that's a little dangerous and can get you sucked into all kinds of family issues.

Nihilistic Seraph
Then we have Crescent Moon, an actual school, though it costs money for lessons.

There's a Pagan Academy opening up in New Mexico, called Ardantane. It looks pretty interesting- I'd kind of like to visit it sometime. It's good to see actual places of learning showing up- one of the problems with Pagan education is that there's no system of standardization out there, so you never really know what someone has been taught and what they haven't, and if their teacher was any good.

On a somewhat related vein- after the Harry Potter books started coming out, I started getting insane jealousy over how easy Harry has it compared to real Pagans. I mean, yeah he has to deal with the Dursleys and some crazy spirit-psychopath trying to eat his soul, but modern Pagans have family too, and several of them seem to stir up unwanted visitors, and yet we don't get nice facilities like Hogwarts to help us deal with it.

OK, sorry- I will take off my Potter fandom hat now.^_^'  

WebenBanu

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:51 am

So far, I don't think there have been legal issues. Then again, she asks for parental consent to come, and it's an open circle, allowing the parents to visit and stay if they want.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:38 pm
Darn... whenever my coven has something, I can't seem to go xp Oh well, I'll have to make sure I get there for August 1st surprised I also plan on asking them about shielding! They never mentioned it before...

Geez. Wouldn't it be odd if they never heard of it eek  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:24 pm
Okay, I'm going to name a whole bunch of stuff I consider common knwledge, and you people tell me what I should elaborate on.

Energy Manipulation
Journeying
Warding
Chakra/aura cleansing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:20 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Okay, I'm going to name a whole bunch of stuff I consider common knwledge, and you people tell me what I should elaborate on.

Energy Manipulation
Journeying
Warding
Chakra/aura cleansing
Everything. mrgreen

And I do plan on printing it for cross-checking and future reference. ninja  

Jameta
Captain

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:57 pm
Jameta
Nihilistic Seraph

Energy Manipulation
Journeying
Warding
Chakra/aura cleansing
Everything. mrgreen

*Points to the list* Stuff for the Library, Jameta 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:54 am
Atma311
Jameta
Nihilistic Seraph

Energy Manipulation
Journeying
Warding
Chakra/aura cleansing
Everything. mrgreen

Oh? I thought the library was to be full of links to different sites and such.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:10 am
Atma311
Jameta
Nihilistic Seraph

Energy Manipulation
Journeying
Warding
Chakra/aura cleansing
Everything. mrgreen

*smacks forhead* Duh! Why am I so stupid?! gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:12 am
Nihilistic Seraph
Atma311
Jameta
Nihilistic Seraph

Energy Manipulation
Journeying
Warding
Chakra/aura cleansing
Everything. mrgreen

Oh? I thought the library was to be full of links to different sites and such.
Yeah, but there could be links out there to basic information; it just will now be finding it...

I must charge thee all with finding stuff... ninja  

Jameta
Captain

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:19 am
You are NOT stupid, Jameta gonk No one was thinking of the library at the moment is all.

As for finding the stuff, I think I could help you with that! Is there anything else you need help finding? (I am the master of Googling 3nodding )  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:34 am
Atma311
You are NOT stupid, Jameta gonk No one was thinking of the library at the moment is all.

As for finding the stuff, I think I could help you with that! Is there anything else you need help finding? (I am the master of Googling 3nodding )
Hold yer horses and I'll update an annoucement thingy...  

Jameta
Captain

Dr. Arcane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:56 pm
Like Banu, I come from the Deep South, where this kind of information can be scarce, and the freedom to pursue it, even more so! Even in a time when books were first coming out on the subject, I could not have dreamed of so much as looking for them. It was a great blessing that my mother and grandparents were able to get me started in what I think is a wise approach to the path.
The problem we may be seeing here is that in a lot of areas, what books that are available to the beginner are 1) rare, 2) they tend to be of poor/sensationalist quality, and 3) most beginners are out there on their own, with no way to accurately judge the validity of a book or web-site( or for that matter, the advice of theirspooky friend).
Glad y'all are considering this matter. The general problem is worsened with the popular press. Two words, as an example : Silver Ravenwolf ( please pardon while I turn my head to spit, and make a warding gesture). Too many authors out there, who are the prime information source to too many honest seekers, gloss over or do not even mention some of the finer points and precausions. The whole emphasis is " hurry-up get out there and throwing energy all over the place; ready or not". I had a cousin who had available to her, 4 generations of practitioners in her own family, but she was so afraid to ask vital questions that see sought answers in a book that told only HOW; not a word about how to do it in a karmicly and ethicly sound fashion. Okay, yes, yes , this is an issue with me ( calm...serene...total control...).
Thank you for listening; I do get worked up. Time now for a little ligh-down smile
Oh, and next time I will Be even more on topic.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff