"Your religion, if you choose to give it" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lunasumerin

Romantic Ladykiller

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:05 pm
Most of my family doesn't know that I'm pagan, my mom and dad do(mom is fine with it as long as I don't tell people because she worries about everything and my dad just doesn't care either way), and so does my grandmother but she won't talk about it... I think she pretends that it doesn't exist... she called my step-sister a heathen once... I don't want to tell my aunt since she is a born again christian... and I don't really want to hear a bunch of preaching... The guy I've been doing art commisions for knows about it and asks me tons of questions... heh... Its not so bad for me, but there are a lot of people I prefer not to tell as people always seem to take things the wrong way.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:28 am
It makes perfect sense- I feel the same way sometimes... But my distinction is whether or not they are able to understand the meaning of my answer. If they wouldn't understand what "neopagan" entails, then I think it's better sometimes just to keep my mouth shut, rather than give someone a misconception. If they are openminded enough, or likely to listen to my explanation. I mean really, I'm sure we all have personal information about ourselves that we don't feel ashamed of, but wouldn't divulge to a questionable party. Now if you were actually GUILTY of being a neo-pagan, then yes, perhaps you should do some soul-searching.
Even that isn't necessiarily a "no" though, because I myself felt some guilt at one time, but I only had to overcome the impressions that I'd received since preschool- and now I'm proud as can be.  

Nomad of Nowhere

Mor Righ Anu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:35 pm
The local hosiptal is a catholic one including mostly all the doctors offices in the area. The doctors or nurses always verbally ask for your religion. If you say other or currently don't have a church. They go into a huge a** rant on how I should go. They do more preaching than finding out why I had to go there in the first place. This is why, I am still sick after a month and 2 days. She gave me stuff for broncotis and I still have it. I refuse to go back to that doctor to see if I can get something else just for the fact of her preaching.

My friends know that I am a studying shaman, my parents -laughs- think I am over the whole "devil worshiping" phase. I don't prance around my area annoucing to everyone that I am pagan/shaman or whatever. Why is it anyone's business other than my own and the ones that I trust?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:57 pm
This is a weighty issue (I guess that's apparent from previous posts).

I love being Pagan. I'm proud of it, and I like talking to people about it.

But discretion is something that...is necessary sometimes. Especially in a setting like a hospital in a small Catholic area. There is a certain amount of trust given to a medical staff. You are trusting them with your health. And while it's all well and good that legally they can't do anything about you being a terrible sinner, that doesn't mean they won't...even if it's just delaying you, or something bigger. In cases like, I don't see harm in flubbing.

And at work. I work for the legal division of CPS in my county. And while we're a big city, I'd say that about 98% of the people in my office are moderate to heavy Christians. While they can't outright fire me for my beliefs, you can bet they can make me want to quit. If the subject comes up, I either let them do all the talking and change the subject when I can, or excuse myself to the ladies room, etc. Because frankly, I'd rather be private and keep my job than be all, "LOLPAGANISM" and get fired. I mean, I've got myself and my daughter to think of, and she likes to do crazy things like eat, wear clothes, and sleep with a roof over her head. XP

Point is, you can be truly proud in your heart all day long, but that doesn't mean you have to (or even should) tell anyone and everyone, even if they ask. What's more important in the end? Your wellbeing, or everyone knowing your personal beliefs? That's not a rhetorical question, either. It's one I think everyone has to decide. And neither answer is wrong. <3

You can still be a proud Pagan even if no one knows. ;D  

Purrly

Invisible Elder

8,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100

Nomad of Nowhere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:21 pm
Well said, Tiadaria. Looking at the history of pagan traditions, discretion and secrecy is all that's kept a lot of the traditions intact. People who were more "proud" might have lost a lot more for us. I really can't offer anything more than that sentiment, that you didn't. Pride can be silent.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:32 pm
i actualy now have gone full shinto. o.o though i still practice ecclectic paganism, with the exception that i do not call upon any gods, instead invoking my own power or that of the energies i choose to work with at any given time. so i actualy find it hard to determine whether i am also pagan or not... sweatdrop i have become perfectly open with it though. and istill go to church, and partcicpate in all but the giving myself over to god.  

twilight insanity

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces