Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The things everyone, everywhere should know. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KingKidd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:58 pm
NuclearBatman
Indeed, indeed. There are a lot of mistakes made in grammer. Myself, I do have trouble with to, two, & too. I also make mistakes with there, their, and they're, but not as often.

...You spelled grammar wrong.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:00 pm
Wow, I really had no idea what "the swirly thing" meant until now.  

PlatinumChild

OneMightyTHOR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:27 am
This is a very informative thread. I enjoyed reading it. I am still fairly new in Gaia and even newer in this guild. I am a bit shy in posting replies, perhaps conscious as well. However, I'll risk my chances... Afterall, how am I to learn, right?

What about "was" vs. "were"? That's one of my pet peeves. It irks me when people say "Where was you last night, dude?" or "You was late this morning so I decided to join another team". Sometimes, I even hear people say "I were right!".

Also, "This" vs. "These"...

Perhaps that can be pointed out and explained here on the thread as well?
Thank you!

Oh, by the way, I entered my avatar in the arena this week smile Perhaps you can all view it and vote? smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:24 am
Awesome. It's like english class on Gaia. domokun  

Soujiroh Nishikado

golden-cat143

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:42 am
I remember learning this stuff in my English book.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:08 pm
I feel as if I just went back to first grade. That was fun biggrin  

ihatemybrothers

Honorable Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:18 pm
Oh wow, quite amazing! I'm really glad someone took the effort to put all of this up ^^ They're such simple things, but because of that people seem to take them lightly and ignore them. Which is sooo annoying! Most of them are my pet peeves, like when people don't place and apostrophes in conjuntions like "can't', 'won't, or 'I'll'. Drives me crazy, haha!

Anyways, thanks so much for bringing this to everyone's attention!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:40 am
I am the owner of a writer's guild here on Gaia, and I simply adore this guide! I'm wondering if anyone would mind if I used the first post in my guild, with a reference back to this guild?

Also, something I see a lot in people's writing is misuse of the word, "seen." Somebody had a story and they were talking about how they "seen" his pretty teeth or how he "seen" her smile.

Maybe you could do a section on "seen" vs. "saw."

You should also let me know if it's okay for me to use the first post in my guild because God knows I need it.

Pup in Fluff

Invisible Sex Symbol

8,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200

Mushed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:24 am
"A" and "An":
"A" is used in front of words that begin with a constant sound.
"An" is used in front of words that begin with a vowel sound.
Examples:
- a dog
- an egg
- an hour
- a yak
- a one
- a user
- an umbrella

Though, it is still acceptabe to use "an" in front of words that have an "h" sound.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:47 pm
Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.  

Dinosaur Expert

Leo Kaicho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:09 pm
I`m sorry to disturb the train of thought you have going on here, but the necessity of this topic is kinda sad. I would hope most people would know to capitalize when they start a sentance, sadly, I know that there are people out there who don`t capitalize at all, misspell several words per sentance, and use grammer equivilent to that of an average carney. Ah, how the decay of the english language tortures me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:30 am
large-tree4
I`m sorry to disturb the train of thought you have going on here, but the necessity of this topic is kinda kind of sad. I would hope most people would know to capitalize when they start a sentence, sadly, I know that there are people out there who don`t capitalize at all, misspell several words per sentence, and use grammar equivalent to that of an average carney. Ah, how the decay of the English language tortures me.
Speaking of misspelling several words per sentence...

(After three times of editing. . . ) I think I got it all.

Pup in Fluff

Invisible Sex Symbol

8,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200

Ekirin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Dinosaur Expert
Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
This was something I was going to state is a huge problem. In my internship as a high school teacher I heard countless times... "Where's she at?" All I could say was, "Behind the preposition."

Also, I'm in love with the Fanboys.

For
And
Nor
But
Or
Yet
So  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:37 pm
I think I love you MadnessFreak. Thanks for setting it straight. heart  

Punkghoul

heather_fish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:15 am
Something very important has been left out. Good vs. well. "Good" describes a noun or pronoun. "Well" describes a verb. To put it simply, you do something well, but a thing is good. 3nodding  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff