Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 75: Science Fiction & Fantasy: Books, TV, Movies
ever read any good books about vampires? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What are you?
  Goth
  Emo
  Cute and Nerdy
  Your Own Kind
  Other
View Results

[Chopped up underwear]

Wheezing Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:31 am
Sphinx of Akhenaten
D; Twilight's a disgrace to vampire books. Try Amelia Atwater Rhodes and ,or course, Anne Rice.
My favorite my Amelia is Shattered mirror. Same plot gist as Twilight (girls falls in love with vampire) except its better executed and fits better into the traditional vampire role rather than just sucking blood as the only classical element.

A lot of her first few books are vampire books.
I own In the Forests of the Night. <3 Which I love intensely. xD

Demon in My View, Midnight Predator are also two very good books from her vampire series. (A new one called Persistence of Memory is coming out this year too. =D)

But her other books are amazing too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:45 am
Laurell K. Hamilton is the only other vampire author I've read. Very xxx rated haha.  

cersiesnow

alexander m edwards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:44 pm
um...how about anne rice vittorio the vampire its good and addicting  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:08 pm
Luscara
Bran Bran the raven man
Im reading a book called the vampire Armand. Its really good so far.

The Vampire Armand is the worst book in the entire Vampire Chronicles/New Tales of the Vampires. I've never understood why Armand was so popular, Marius is far more interesting and Blood and Gold is a far better book.

Also, why are you starting in the middle of the series? 'Cause it sounds like you haven't read the other books.

I do agree that it is the worst BOOK (at least out of the one's I've read so far). However, Armand is a very popular for many reasons. I have not yet read every book and have not gotten as far as Blood and Gold yet. I read them in order, but stopped about 3/4 of the way through Armand and haven't continued with the other books yet.

Fallen Angel Louis

iiCookehMonstur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:27 pm
I'd suggest the Blue Blood series by De La Cruz. A very interesting concept.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:10 pm
Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett is brilliant; not only is it funny, it's really damn good. mrgreen

Plus, Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are in it, which makes just about any book worth reading.  

Aibari

Skiota

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:08 pm
Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles (Start with 'Interview with a Vampire' then 'the Vampire Lestat' then 'Queen of the Damned' then, "'Tale of the Body Theif' 'The Vampire Armand'

I'm biased because she's my favorite author, but she makes vampires old and rich and elegant. :3  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:12 pm
Fallen Angel Louis
Luscara
Bran Bran the raven man
Im reading a book called the vampire Armand. Its really good so far.

The Vampire Armand is the worst book in the entire Vampire Chronicles/New Tales of the Vampires. I've never understood why Armand was so popular, Marius is far more interesting and Blood and Gold is a far better book.

Also, why are you starting in the middle of the series? 'Cause it sounds like you haven't read the other books.

I do agree that it is the worst BOOK (at least out of the one's I've read so far). However, Armand is a very popular for many reasons. I have not yet read every book and have not gotten as far as Blood and Gold yet. I read them in order, but stopped about 3/4 of the way through Armand and haven't continued with the other books yet.

Armand is my personal favorite, because of the times he comes from (Venice). That book is actually what got me started on Anne Rice, and its my favorite because of her descriptive language. I'm also into art and loved Rice's description of Armands painting.

Personally, her writing style is to the letter of how I think, so its very fitting to me. A lot of people don't like Anne Rice because of her metaphor's. But I guess thats what draws me to it :3  

Skiota

kokogik

Chatty Associate

21,490 Points
  • Lapin Patrol Haldus: Victory! 100
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:25 am
Half Man-half otaku
I don't remember who the author was but I read this book about vampires called Bloodline. Also manga-wise I've read Hellsing and Chibi Vampire.

"Vampire: The Bloodline" is a book of the roleplay-game "Vampire: The Masquerade". There is a whole bunch of books that can take you into the vampire world and Bloodline is just one of them. I am playing this game myself, and I just love it. I haven't read these books (shame on me), but it's because most of the books of the Masquerade are very hard to find today, because they are not made anymore. But I think you can download them from White Wolfs website, www.white-wolf.com.
I haven't succeded yet, but I wish you good luck. Hope you'll get a lot of good reading 3nodding

Lots of love!

//Kokogik ^^

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:35 pm
Yeah, Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum was one I really enjoyed. But I'm in no state to think of anything else, having just overdosed on Hellsing.  

Unwary Wanderer

Alicara

1,050 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:53 pm
I'm also Anne Rice fan. I started reading that in grade school and have been addicted to vampires since. I tried the Pike series a long time ago, but even then I didn't like the whole 'high school' vamp. if I remember correctly. Like I said, a long time ago.

After the Rice 'world' many vamp. books are pretty plain. I have a hard time finding anything I like. I need a well defined plot to make me happy. It's even harder to find slash in book form. It's always: Girl finds hot vamp guy, falls in love, helps guy with 'dark side', happy ever after.
Blah, boring.

I loved Hellsing the manga, the dubbing for the movie was horrible in English, though I did like Alucard's voice. (whoever said that)
Dead Witch Walking was a refreshing change, she's one of my favorite authors.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:57 pm
Alicara
I'm also Anne Rice fan. I started reading that in grade school and have been addicted to vampires since. I tried the Pike series a long time ago, but even then I didn't like the whole 'high school' vamp. if I remember correctly. Like I said, a long time ago.

After the Rice 'world' many vamp. books are pretty plain. I have a hard time finding anything I like. I need a well defined plot to make me happy. It's even harder to find slash in book form. It's always: Girl finds hot vamp guy, falls in love, helps guy with 'dark side', happy ever after.
Blah, boring.

I loved Hellsing the manga, the dubbing for the movie was horrible in English, though I did like Alucard's voice. (whoever said that)
Dead Witch Walking was a refreshing change, she's one of my favorite authors.

I love Hellsing! Crispin Freeman voices Alucard. He is my fevorite English anime voice actor EVER! I happen to like both the Jap and Eng dubs.

I agree that after the Vampire Chronicles it's hard to find anything that really has a solid, unique story. Apparently she only sent one of her books from that series to an editor ( I believe it was IwtV) and wouldn't allow the others to be edited. And trust me, I've heard her explain why herself so it's true!

Fallen Angel Louis

roseofblue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:08 pm
One of the best vampire book series i have ever read have been the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton. There are 16 books in the series, and a full formed world with vampires were-animals, and magic of all kind. They can be very bloody and very adult oriented, but are amazing with the characters in it. It os definatly a series i would recomend.

Another series is the Queen Betsy series by MaryJanice Davis. there are 7 books in the series. The series brings a lot of humour and fun to a new look at vampires.

A third series is the Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris. The first book is called All together Dead.

There is also the Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan. And in case you didnt know they are making a movie of the first book.

Then there is Amelia Atwater Rhodes. she has four vampire books, In The Forest of the Night, Deamon in my View, Shattered Mirror, and Midnight Predator. Twilight reminded me a lot of these books, they are similar but keep more with tradition veiwpoints on vampires.

The Night World series by L. J. Smith is a young adult book series but very good, The only problem i have found is that they were published a while ago and my library doesnt have them anymore. xd sweatdrop The same Author has also done the The Vampire Diaries sereis which are also a lot like Twilight in that they are romance and have the main character, female, torn between two people for her affection. There are four books out with a fifth suppose to come out soon.

Hope this helps, and if you can't tell I really like vampire books. There are probably more that I hvae read, but just can't think of...  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:18 pm
It looks like I'm going to be the first to recommend this book, but The Secret Life of Laszlo, Count Dracula is an amazing book. I've read it three times just because thats how much I love it. It's a diary style book by Roderick Anscombe.

Quote:
Anscombe, a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist, takes the recent trend toward the humanization of vampires the final step, making the Dracula of his subtle, consuming fiction debut a mortal man. A Hungarian medical student in Paris when he starts this diary in 1866, the inexperienced Laszlo becomes infatuated with a sensual patient at the Salpetriere hospital. Passion turns to fury, bringing the affair to a deadly end, but Laszlo escapes when he is rushed back to Hungary on the death of his elder brother. Now Count Dracula, Laszlo marries his brother's saintly widow and manages to cling to an ascetic life for 20 years until a local girl reawakens his lethal passions. Protected by his hereditary status and a new role as savior when a typhoid epidemic threatens the village, Laszlo pursues the shadowy connection of sex and violence until it becomes the inescapable union of petite mort and mort , love and murder. His motivations are not psychological banalities but something more mythic--the need for an absolute possession that unites the bestial and the divine. Nor is Laszlo insane: he recognizes the "familiar moral landmarks" and is surprised when he ignores them.

kissconcrete

undefined messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:52 pm
Naiad9
Yeah, Eclipse is the end of the Twilight trilogy. I thought it was very good and beautifully written, but sort of disappointing. I really hope she writes a second trilogy about the third wheel of the vampire-human-werewolf thingy. I felt really bad for Jacob. Well, life ain't fair I guess. And even though they aren't vampire books, but check out Karen Marie Moning. One of the best authors ever, I swear. And the Meredith Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton. The woman is a genius. I sing her praises.

wron WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG the fourth comes out either november or december is what it says  
75: Science Fiction & Fantasy: Books, TV, Movies

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff