Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Galactic Travel and Information Help Desk (RP help) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 401 402 403 404 405 406 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:17 am
Nelowulf
But that depends if her thought processes occur from organs or through cpu.

In order to be "living" in my definition, she must display the signs of a biological creature without the aid of any support equiptment.

Define said signs and said support equipment.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:20 am
Well, biologically she can't be alive unless she can perform homeostasis, has metabolism, grows, adapts to stimuli, and responds to stimuli.

edit: Forgot reproduction.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:27 am
Nelowulf
Well, biologically she can't be alive unless she can perform homeostasis, has metabolism, grows, adapts to stimuli, and responds to stimuli.

edit: Forgot reproduction.

She requires regular imput of organic and mineral substances, and can adapt to and respond to stimuli.
Growing requires more intake of said substances and requires a molt of the external hull.
Reproduction occurs at a later date and requires a host donor of DNA to grow the resulting "Baby starship" from.
Now whats Homeostasis? Sleeping?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:35 am
homeostasis means that it will die if it cannot maintain its internals systems and mechanisms of survival.

Like how we sweat, shiver, increased hearbeat from adrenaline, etc.

And with reproduction, that means she must be able to do it as part of herself. Reproduction means that she must donate her DNA to the mix. not her hosts, her own.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:50 am
Nelowulf
homeostasis means that it will die if it cannot maintain its internals systems and mechanisms of survival.

Like how we sweat, shiver, increased hearbeat from adrenaline, etc.

And with reproduction, that means she must be able to do it as part of herself. Reproduction means that she must donate her DNA to the mix. not her hosts, her own.

Hmm...The homeostasis one would be tought to explain...
The host's DNA is to mix with hers.
She's not about to create an exact copy of herself.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:56 am
But you never said she had her own DNA. You said her host was Cale's. She has to have her own DNA, otherwise she's only a clone at best. And a male one, at that.

i'm simply putting the scientific definition of living. No offense, even if you attempt to slide the answers on small amounts of BS, I doubt you'll be able to really answer them all.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:25 am
Nelowulf
But you never said she had her own DNA. You said her host was Cale's. She has to have her own DNA, otherwise she's only a clone at best. And a male one, at that.

i'm simply putting the scientific definition of living. No offense, even if you attempt to slide the answers on small amounts of BS, I doubt you'll be able to really answer them all.

Sci-fi is all about the BS.
It only has to sound believable.
Take the Vong and their super bioweapons.
In reality, such things could not hope to stand against Galactic Technology, but they BS enough that it belivably does.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:36 pm
Cloning hardly hampers reproduction (at least in the SW universe). I mean, because of his clones, Jango Fett has about 20 million children.

And TK-00 isn't all that impressive, really. HM would destroy him with ease, I'd bet. No, he's much better as an interrogator.  

ElladanKenet
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:41 pm
If clones happen to be sterile, then not really. But that's beside the point. Plus, in order to reproduce, with the method cale described, it would have to have a gene splicer on board.

Probably what's going to kill the debate is its inability to adapt though. I mean, she's intelligent, but she doesn't grow a natural defense against predators, due to the fact she has no niche in an ecological society. Of course, there not being one also happens to be a problem, but who cares..

I mean the ship is just a ripoff of Lexx to begin with, so why are we persuing this? Short of the sex-slaved robot, it could almost host its own show.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:43 pm
Yes, buth with no defense against predators, its also less likely to be preyed upon.

I mean, a rancor will eat you regardless, but something that's not familiar with you, such as a bear or a bobcat, is more often than not afraid of you.

Not that you'll see many bears with jetpacks nowadays  

ElladanKenet
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:50 pm
No defense against predators means you're extinct, mate. Dunno which biology class you went to, but you didn't learn much aboot evolution.

Humans are unique because we develop defenses, rather than evolve them. You know them as sidearms, firearms, and WMDs.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:55 pm
I didn't mean it that way. I meant it as that she wouldn't receive the same predatory response as a prey to its predator. Because she's foreign, chances are, it wouldn't be considered one of its meals.

Similar to those hounds on Wayland used to track electronics. True, they did attack, but they stayed away for a good while.  

ElladanKenet
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:58 pm
You've got a wierd sense of biology, you know that?

Its an 'effin ship. There are only three things its scared of: rust, bigger guns on another ship, and someone accidentally spilling their coffee on the instrument panel. Three predators.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:00 pm
Nevermind.  

ElladanKenet
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:02 pm
There's only one creature on Eriadu which even preys upon metal... I'm trying to point out you're going to have to turn predator into something other than an animal.  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 401 402 403 404 405 406 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games