Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Galactic Travel and Information Help Desk (RP help) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:54 pm
No worries... the more i read my statement though, the nastier it sounds... I was trying to joke, sorry for any offense...  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:00 pm
Nelowulf
No worries... the more i read my statement though, the nastier it sounds... I was trying to joke, sorry for any offense...

s'ok ^_^
Now, to figure out what to do about him ... sweatdrop  

AFK Masturbating

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:01 pm
Use him for "Jedi Mind Trick" practice and make him dance in a tu-tu?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:09 pm
or you can kill him, by the same way shak-ti and ali died/eventually will die  

Nospai Deathous

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:11 pm
But he's not force-sensitive though.

Making him die like perhaps Stormtrooper TK-421?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:27 pm
Nelowulf
But he's not force-sensitive though.

Making him die like perhaps Stormtrooper TK-421?

Wasn't TK-421 knocked out?
Of course, he did blow up on the Death Star ...  

AFK Masturbating

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:28 pm
Stunned... then probably killed and hidden, to prevent someone finding them.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:28 pm
here's a question, how the heck is Imperious going to be able to contact the Serpent?  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:29 pm
he probably wont. or can't.

And then he'll be like

"Where is she? Damn that Twi'lek!"  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:24 pm
Nelowulf
1) The TF did retrofit its freighters. Remember TPM and the droid control ship? That's a freighter... In fact the CIS had very few non-freighter warships. The thing is they usually had more ships, and droid crews, so losses were not as impacting...

2) a freighter converted for battleship duty may sound like a killer solution, but you must remember that cruisers are built specifically for battle, meaning you wouldn't waste the space that you have, and while having shields and a bitchload of missles sounds good, it really has nothing on something whose systems are designed specifically for the power regulation.

3) Also, the MC crusiers that you're thinking of are around the Battle of endor Time. By the time the MC-90 series (and anythign past it) came out, it was strictly warship design, but they had originality. That, and the reason why MC warships are so good is mostly because of their shielding more than their guns. Their shields are so hard to penetrate that most ships expire from the effort...

1)Okay. Just seemed an odd shape for a frieghter, but it fits with what I heard about their cover story (we're arming freighters to fight pirates). I kinda thought of frieghters as big boxes with rocket engines.
Chidee might have labored under the same cover, albiet with much nastier hardware, and more creative accounting.

2)Power regulation? The warships are more efficient with power useage, I'm sure, even after the freighters are heavily modified, but, how close to the red are they running on that kind of thing?
Chidee's freighters (still in planning) aren't converted to battleship duty; that's the point, since they'll be, at best, average-ish in the role of a battleship (gun and armor heavy).

3)Okay, thank you.
So, can Chidee's freighters go a bit shield heavy?

Thing is, I know they're not going to be as good as a ground-up warship in a straight up fight, but they're what Chidee has, and that's why he isn't going to put them into a straight up fight. His strategies are going to be mostly centered around his carriers.

FrozenPhoenix32
Can you believe that the GAR supposedly only had three million clones?

Really? The one I heard was ten billion, which I thought was on the large side, but they also had the ten years before the war to work on the army.

And think about this, even if it was 'only' three million, that's an insane amount of soldiers by Earth standards, and at least a somewhat mentally unbalanced number for a multi-system nation.
Also, that was three million soldiers. The logistics for them must have been enormous. I've heard different figures for the number of the men or the percentages, but I think that the majority of military personnel are dedicated to support roles.
Ah, what was it? Someone said something like "Amateurs study tactics; good generals study logistics."  

HereticX

Nospai Deathous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:19 pm
Nospai Deathous
or you can kill him, by the same way shak-ti and ali died/eventually will die

i was joking, referring to the exhaustion suggestion..  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:24 pm
Remember two things:

1) fighters become more and more expensive to produce the better they become. This is evident by the TIE fighter and defender, with the superior defender costing nearly half a million credits per ship, rather than fifty thousand. Also, it takes much longer to create superior fighters. Unlike a droid, fighters are much larger, and also, require many more systems to install, which compound faster than simply creating a new battledroid.

However

2) your fighters are drones. Meaning they all run on power supplies. The more systems there are, the more power is required to run. And since droids reqire energy imput of their own, that is just one more burden to put on the already strained power core. which means you run a higher risk of spontaneous systems failures. The only benefit is that the ships don't need life support, which saves some room, but not enough to compensate. Hence why droid fighters are usually cheap and mass produced. Especially since you have to have mandatory limits on AI. the human pilot has no restrictions on its moves. While you could put learning AI into the fighters, they have a chance of becoming too smart, which would more than likely turn them on you, which is a big no-no.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

HereticX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:49 pm
Nelowulf
Remember two things:

1) fighters become more and more expensive to produce the better they become. This is evident by the TIE fighter and defender, with the superior defender costing nearly half a million credits per ship, rather than fifty thousand. Also, it takes much longer to create superior fighters. Unlike a droid, fighters are much larger, and also, require many more systems to install, which compound faster than simply creating a new battledroid.

However

2) your fighters are drones. Meaning they all run on power supplies. The more systems there are, the more power is required to run. And since droids reqire energy imput of their own, that is just one more burden to put on the already strained power core. which means you run a higher risk of spontaneous systems failures. The only benefit is that the ships don't need life support, which saves some room, but not enough to compensate. Hence why droid fighters are usually cheap and mass produced. Especially since you have to have mandatory limits on AI. the human pilot has no restrictions on its moves. While you could put learning AI into the fighters, they have a chance of becoming too smart, which would more than likely turn them on you, which is a big no-no.

Yeah, good points, thanks.

1)Of course, fighters are larger and more complex than droids. I'm hoping he's making good droids not just by throwing in more expensive and power-hungry parts, but also through efficiency and excellent engineering.

2)Power supplies? Don't all fighters run on power supplies or have reactors of some kind?
They don't need life support, they don't need cockpits, no heating (in fact, they can save on cooling systems, too), and all of the other systems are streamlined as a result, with information being fed directly into the computer rather than having to have some kind of apparatus to process and display that in a way a meatbag could understand it. Actually, wouldn't installing on a droid simply be like increasing the power (and power requirements) of its computer, and stripping away a bunch of (now) unecessary equipment?

Also, his production was limited (he had to hide his operations) so, he tried to go for quality over quantity (no choice, really, as huge swarms of droids would be noticed).

Droid fighters...they're not too creative/flexible, but...they have virtually no problems with sharp, sharp turns (if the Gs become a problem for a droid, that means that the ship fell apart), and they have faster reactions, don't they?

I'd think his are at least a bit smarted/sophisticated, and when he takes Telti, he can probably add whatever advanced research they were doing in the AI area to his work.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:21 pm
Hmm...so, we're kinda okay on what ships Chidee uses; mostly heavily-converted freighters, with a few warships here and there. His strategies are focused around Carriers and torpedo ships, with an emphasis of keeping off at long ranges, using the warships and non-Carriers to shield the Carriers.

What kinds of fighters might he use? What kinds of droids would he have for ground combat?
Sorry, I every once in a while, I find this kinda thing fun. "Fluff", I believe it is sometimes called (either that, or "weird" xd ).

Fighters...uh, I was thinking...one interceptor-type, one bomber-type, maybe an inbetween? The interceptors clear out opposing fighters. The bombers blow up ships.
I'm thinking...eh, I kind of like Babylon 5's Starfury fighter for my design. Uh, in case you haven't seen it, it's at http://b5tech.com/earthalliance/earthallianceshipsandvessels/earthfighters/starfury.html. Basically, it's an X-shaped fighter with the thrusters mounted on the tips of the Xs; kinda like an X-wing, but it's much much shorter. The thrusters (which can fire in either direction) give it great manuverability (turn on a dime, to borrow a cliche). Thing is, the design'll give it a tougher time in atmosphere.
I'd give them...a tri-barrelled rotary blaster on the front. The interceptors'd have lighter armor and missles, while the bombers would have heavier armor and bombs/torpedoes, maybe light turrets (probably a bit too much).

The ground droids...well, not much to say. Stockier and more solid than the B1s, not as bulbous as the B2s. Basic ones carry a rifle, say, like an advanced/updated DC-15. Specializations exist, for heavy firepower, for demolitions, etc.

He'd definitely have artillery/air support, if he could manage it. Air support may be limited to what his starfighers can do in atmosphere. Artillery would probably be like a repulsorlift howitzer or something, and may double as his tanks if need be.
Hmm...artillery/tanks; Repulsorlift howitzer, at least decently armored (though I still wouldn't want them in the thick of the fight). Big gun, either a heavy blaster, a shell launcher, or a set of rocket tubes (interchangable?), plus a few light guns to keep the infantry off. Perhaps they'd double as transports, haul troops or supplies.

I think, since he's still getting started, so he's trying to get a few types of unit to do a lot of things, because too many types of units makes his logistics and production more complex, possibly more than he can handle at this stage. Taking Telti might ease things up for him.

Okay, sorry for quite possibly boring you to death, but I found that kinda fun. (Sad, isn't it?) redface  

HereticX

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:31 pm
spacial military matters are the very essence of Star Wars.  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games