Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Salutations, Greetings and Introductions Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 55 56 57 58 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Present Uncertainty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:07 am
YAY! LITERATE PEOPLE!!!

Oh my God I found people that actually spell all of their words correctly!
I am going to love this guild.

About me:

My name is Arianna, you may call me Ari, and I am going to be fourteen in four days! I go to a HighSOTA, for chorus and CrW. I constantly annoy people, as I correct a plethora of mistakes, and use many big words, such as 'plethora.'
Anyway, I'm excited to be a part of this guild, and I hope to meet people with whom I can have many literate and completely correct conversations.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:52 am
Hello, I'm ZeoViolet. I am new to the Guild. Thank you for having me!

I have been on Gaia for over three years. I had wanted to see if there was such a Guild on Gaia for some time. I was reminded of the fact yesterday when I spied a Banner obviously belonging to a Guild member.

"Txt tlk" is a pet peeve of mine. Cellphone text-messaging shortcuts do not belong in literate conversation. I do not have a cellphone anyways so maybe I am biased?

I write a lot, read even more, I can spell, and surely I know how to use punctuation. I am not going to kill anybody who makes spelling/punctuation errors, but I will akin "txt tlkrs" to the IQ of a rock and may end up treating them as such. To my eyes a whole generation of people are forgetting how to be literate, tap-tap-tapping into cellphones or text-talking out of pure laziness. They figure we will know what they mean, so why make more of a deemed-useless effort?

No, I will NOT absolve myself of the guilt of using a couple such expressions myself....I am not above the occassional "lol", "brb", or "omg" when instant messaging with friends, but those are infrequent at best. They feel the same as I do about the importance of good grammer. A person just does not come across very highly on any intelligence factor "tlkng lk ths."  

Feather Kana

Sparkly Spirit

18,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200

kuailong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:55 am
My name is Kuailong. I'm an 18 year old student, currently participating in the wonderfully lovely event called "Exam Week". Now, this week is full of writing and thinking. It is a suberbly disgusting week but alas must happen for our final marks. So among other things, I love science and english, though my marks would never show that. I procrastinate and I hate assignments.

That is all.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:50 am
Hello. It's nice to meet you all. I am glad I was able to find a group of people that will not kill me for liking to be gramatically correct. As for myself, my name is obviuosly Anye5, in a combination of my favorite number and the name of a character I am writing in one of my stories. If anyone else knows somewhere else this name came from, whatever, I haven't found it and so I am saying it is mine. I have a tendency to swtich from long sentences that seem like I'm talking like some one stiff to short sentences that illustrate my ablity to speak with people in more...informal settings. I love to write novels and poetry. I know how to diagram and sometimes scare people who do not know how.  

Anye5

Artwra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:48 am
Er, hi. On Gaia I'm called Tyr, and I found this guild through one of the banners that somebody had in their signature. I'm 16, from the UK and have recently excaped from that dastardly hell-hole better known as school. Mind you, I have college yet to come. My Gaia name came from a character from my stories, one of which has now reached novel length and which I hope to publish before too long.

I tend to talk too much and type too much; this may come from my aim to become an advanced-literate in Barton Town. I've been roleplaying for about eighteen months now and have seen such horrific posts that I did not know where to begin. The response which went on to become my personal favourite was the eating of the character of a fly-by-night n00b (my character was a werewolf at the time), but I have since become more restrained and learnt to merely Ignore them.

I don't even understand text talk, much to my embarrassment as a teenager. My friends get exasperated when I ask them not to use it in text messages. Leet-speak I will not even attempt to decipher. 'Lol', 'WTF' and 'OMG' are probably the only phrases which I understand, and I find that the concentration it takes to type them makes them last longer than typing 'proper' English. I also understand remarkably little American slang, but that is a separate issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:49 pm
Hello! I'm 16, and I currently reside in Pennsylvania.
I would say I'm literate, but my english classes have never focused on grammar, spelling, etc, so I have a lot to learn.

I am glad to be in this guild, it is refreshing to meet so many people who use proper english!

If anyone would like to learn more about me, please feel free to send me a PM.  

Doctor Dancefloor

Nicotine Queen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:39 am
All I can say is I don't like chatspeak. I can't spell very well, but I try my best to have good grammar. Does that mean I get an E for effort? biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:16 pm
Hey people! I'm glad to have finally found a group of people who actually know how to use the English language. It's been a long time coming.

I do occaisionally use things like 'lol' or 'XD' because I'm lame like that, though I'll refrain from the use of such terms here.

Anyway! My name is Erin and I'm 14 years of age, overly literate, and lacking in conversational skills. I'm very awkward with other human beings, so beware. sweatdrop  

Nadeshiko Naru

Dodger Gunning

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:17 am
Well, hello there!

My name is Danielle, but I prefer "Dodger" or just "Dodge". I'm 17 years old and I enjoy writing, drawing, and pissing off teachers. 3nodding I don't watch anime. (Collective gasp!) My favorite cartoons are The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy; Spongebob Squarepants; Jimmy Neutron; Fairly Oddparents; Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy; and Storm Hawks. Otherwise I'm watching something uselessly educational on History Channel or Discovery Channel.

I don't read manga, either. (Another collective gasp!) My favorite authors are Stephen King and Mercedes Lackey.

I generally try to proofread my posts, but sometimes I forget because I'm flighty. I apologize in advance. Grammatical errors I try to avoid, too, but random things--like ending sentences with a preposition--are habits that I have a hard time breaking. The Indiana dialect is horrible. Native English speakers would do well to have an Hoosier to English translator present whilst traveling through the Heartland. twisted  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:37 am
Let's see, we'll start off by saying that I have serious spelling problems. I'm also one that greatly appreciates the use of grammer and the simple joy of being able to read a post that is not in "txt tlk."

I'm thirteen and enjoy lengthy debates about anything and everything that comes in mind. I also like to write poetry and spend most of my time in the extended disscusion forums of GAIA. xd  

Kurai02

Dancing_in_pink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:15 am
Hello there. I have been a member for a while, but I forgot to introduce myself.

My name is Dancing_in_pink and I am extremely happy to be a part of a guild that values good grammar. It seems now a days that no one pays attention to spelling and speaking. It is very refreshing to find a place like this. It's like an oasis in the middle of a dessert filled with chatspeak. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:58 am
Hi everyone, my name is HardxTruth, or you can call me Hard, for short.
I hated when I played Rurescape, and whenever someone said something like,"cun i pl0x haff ur addy 2h sord?" I swear I looked like this. eek I use grammar on MSN too, but that usually leads people into thinking that I'm a nerd. Oh well. To each his own. wink  

Tay-Toe Ftw

BoredDarkOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:24 pm
Finally, people with grammar skills! Salvation!

Uh...

Hey everybody, I'm the BoredDarkOne.

I'm new to Gaia, for the most part. I'm 15, and I blow out the candles on 12/17. I'm not too sure what you want to know about me. I'll watch any horror movie you throw at me. If I come across an anime that I like, I'll stick with the plot. *cough* Fullmetal Alchemist. *cough*

Um, if you have any other questions just PM or comment me, I'm always willing to chat.

Glad to be here.

C'ya.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:38 pm
Hey. Like the name by my head says, I am Toachung. You can call me Toa for short.

I'm a literate 16 year old who doesn't like to text or talk in texting lingo, except for certain occasions, which is rare.

I love to read, but I don't like to write stories. I dislike reading stories with huge blocks of text one after another. I don't know why, I just do.

I like to use commas and semicolons a lot, which some may find annoying. Sorry to those people, but I shall not stop.

My birthday is October 28. Anyone who knows me also knows that is wrong, but I don't like to give such information away to random people. No offence is intended. My real birthday is close to that date, though.

I've got nothing else to say for now.

toachung

7,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Contributor 150

Anriasia Michiho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:40 am
Hello all!

My name here is Anriasia Michiho, as you can clearly see. however, go ahead and shorten it whichever way you prefer, because that's a lot to type... sweatdrop
Anyway, I love to read Fantasy, Adventure, Romance, and Mystery novels, and my taste in movies is the same (although, I wouldn't say no to a good comedy ^_^).
I also love to watch anime. My favorites are: D.N.Angel, Rurouni Kenshin, Ai Yori Aoshi, and Naruto.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 55 56 57 58 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games