Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Mos Eisley Cantina Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4545 4546 4547 4548 4549 4550 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Darkened Angel
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:04 am
For some odd reason, I've suddenly been wanting to see more spear/lance wielding knights, opposed to sword swingers.

I think it's because I fell in love with Nephenee all over again as a lance-using goddess of war that kicks a** like nobody's business.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:08 am
You never do see enough spear wielders. Its always swords with most people.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Darkened Angel
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:33 am
Ironically, in both Fire Emblem games, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, the enemies are like 70% lance soldiers.

They got this whole triangle thing too. Lances beat swords, swords beat axes, axes beat lances. It really doesn't matter much beyond a slight change in possibility to hit and the damage it'd do.

The most retarded thing though is the fact that every weapon in the games, except like 3 in total maybe, have only so many uses before they're destroyed.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:16 am
Yeah, that's what bothered me most about the Fire Emblem games. Weapons breaking is so irritating.  

elvisnake

Oryo Prime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:24 am
Cale. One must TRY to be denied. Keep your scarlet, DA is nice and all but I like my women REAL. Besides i asked why we had not gotten to know each other... as in my her and i dont talk... as friends.

Moving on. stare  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am
Settle down Megs.
Go chug some energon.  

Sayla-girl

Noble Dabbler

9,675 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250

Oryo Prime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:20 am
Heh...

I...am... MAGATRON!

Had to say it. Tho it is hard to find parts to fit. This is about as close as i can get.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:35 am
Cale Darksun
You never do see enough spear wielders. Its always swords with most people.

Yeah, it's pretty strange. Especially since spears have been used more often in history. Well, at least back in BC times, particularly with the Gauls, the Germanic tribes, a good chunk of Greece... well, a lot of ancient civilizations. Even the Roman triarii used spears as a long-range weapons, albeit they used swords as well. But still, the Romans had spear-specific soldiers so they they could form the famous phalanx. Human tanks for the win.  

Rodyn

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:03 am
Well the Pila is nothing more then an evolution of a throwing spear or javelin. Triarii used fair sized spears, but not nearly the sixteen foot OMGWTF type of pole used in late Hellenic Phalanx formations. But spears were the primary weapon of infantry for most armies up until the musket came to dominance. Swordsmen were too costly for most nations thanks to the expense of forging the blades, and they required the wielder to close well within the reach of various pole arms.

Still, it's really sad the lack of spears in games. I've always thought that carrying a 9 foot spear like an old fashioned Hoplite would be really a cool alternative to the swords everyone else wields. The reach you get with that sort of weapon is such a useful feature.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:14 am
Oryo Prime
Heh...

I...am... MAGATRON!

Had to say it. Tho it is hard to find parts to fit. This is about as close as i can get.

Which Megatron?  

Sayla-girl

Noble Dabbler

9,675 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:07 pm
The concept of swords i think comes mostly from Arturian mythos overwhelming things liek Gae Bolg or other legendary spears. By contrast, it's a far more modern legendary aspect, which has permeated into videogames and modern fantasy, rather than historical prowess.

Axes? spears? those are 'barbaric'! how dare we put that in our novel short of a calvary man or orc!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:59 pm
Nol Noyan
Oryo Prime
Heh...

I...am... MAGATRON!

Which Megatron?

Hrmmm... Didnt think about that. How about... new age spin off.  

Oryo Prime

Rodyn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:36 pm
stellarmagic
Well the Pila is nothing more then an evolution of a throwing spear or javelin. Triarii used fair sized spears, but not nearly the sixteen foot OMGWTF type of pole used in late Hellenic Phalanx formations. But spears were the primary weapon of infantry for most armies up until the musket came to dominance. Swordsmen were too costly for most nations thanks to the expense of forging the blades, and they required the wielder to close well within the reach of various pole arms.

Still, it's really sad the lack of spears in games. I've always thought that carrying a 9 foot spear like an old fashioned Hoplite would be really a cool alternative to the swords everyone else wields. The reach you get with that sort of weapon is such a useful feature.

Yeah, back when I played WoW (ugh, heresy) I usually preferred a polearm over a pair of swords when it came to playing a Hunter.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:38 pm
Never played Wow. I enjoy my life too much to sacrifice it to Blizzard.  

elvisnake

Sayla-girl

Noble Dabbler

9,675 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:43 pm
Oryo Prime
Nol Noyan
Oryo Prime
Heh...

I...am... MAGATRON!

Which Megatron?

Hrmmm... Didnt think about that. How about... new age spin off.

What, you mean from Animated?  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4545 4546 4547 4548 4549 4550 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games