Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
What kinda Wiccan be ye? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am:
  Traditional
  Neo/Eclectic
  Witch
  Pagan
  Agnostic
  Atheist
  Other...Judaic based
  Other...Non-Christian based
View Results

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 pm
x-Akki-Hime-x

It is simply called the Craft. This dates back to 800 B.C.E.

"The Craft" refers to witchcraft, which technically isn't a religion in itself - it's a practice. Most Wiccans do practice Witchcraft, but being a Witch doesn't necessarily make you a Wiccan. Wicca is a specific religion that was created by Gardner in the 1950's. While it is made up of bits and pieces of older religions and practices - it is a new religion. Of course many traditions have branched off the original Gardnerian Trad since then.  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:28 pm
deadly_siner
Im a Danic Wiccan

Are you Dianic? Oh, really? Me too ^_^

So, I think we're "traditional"?  

Siren Stern

hyacinth hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:52 am
I suppose I'm Eclectic. I was in an orthodox/Gardnerian teaching coven for awhile a few years ago...A "non-initiate" but, that didn't work out very well. I don't know if it was just the people but...one of the higher ups felt that there was no way that my husband and I could know anything as "non-initiates"...Despite the fact that I had read everything I could get my hands on for a good five years by that time and my husband had been raised in it...she knew his parents, even. It was unfortunate as I liked the other people in the group but, she and I just clashed. She never tested my knowledge, just assumed that I didn't know anything. Sorry, didn't mean to rant. The gist of that is that I am Eclectic pretty much because there were too much haughtiness in the orthodox group as far as I could see.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:45 am
Quote:
Atheistic Wicca: Some Wiccans view the God and Goddess as symbols, not living entities

I found the above quote while browsing the net recently. I think it describes how I perceive the deities.
But in general I believe I'm 'Eclectic' smile  

Talyn178

Undeath Muffins

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:38 am
I'm Eclectic. I'm pretty sure it's where you combine the different Traditions to suite you. If something from the Gardenian works, but something Traditional does too, you use them.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:38 pm
Okay....Gardnerian = Traditional Wicca. Any coven that can trace its lineage back to Gerald Gardner, honors the Lord and Lady of the Isles, and passes on the mysteries of the religion is considered Traditional.

Those who practice solitary and/or practice in circles that do not honor the Lord and Lady of the Isles, do not pass down the mysteries of Traditional Wicca, and may not require initiation (some do, some don't) are known as Neo-Wicca. Many of you on here I'm betting, are Neo-Wiccan.

And I'm not sure where the Neo-Wicca/Eclectic Wicca divide is really; depending on the person I think many Eclectics Wiccans are Neo-Wiccans.

I got a bit of a chuckle from the OP when it referred to Gardnerian Wicca as "orthodox" when Traditional Wicca is actually orthopraxic ("correct action" as opposed to the "correct belief" meaning of orthodox).  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Maxwell_Pink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:34 pm
I'm Seax-Wican (with one "c" please!). Probably among the first traditions to be labeled "Neo-Wiccan", though nowadays with all the "Wicca is whatever you want it to be" types running a muck I find I tend to borrow Simon Craft's label "Reformed Traditional Wiccan". smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:25 pm
I am somewhat embarrassed to say I had never read the OP, and when I went up there to see what it actually said...well I can see why Vi posted what she did.

So I have essentially redone the OP, with more valid definitions that should clarify quite a few things. I also redid the poll, so if everyone could go back and do that again.

Thanks!!!  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:23 pm
Thanks Sweet! Sorry if I over-ruffled anyone's feathers.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:13 pm
too2sweet

7/12/08 So based on some of the comments made, I came up here and read the opening post and decided that it was time to actually put in some valid definitions and also open it up to other paths. These definitions are courtesy of the Pagans on Gaia thread.

Fluffy Bunny
Feel free to embrace your fluff here. Generally, "Fluffy Bunny" is a derogatory term for anyone who claims to be Wiccan yet knows absolutely nothing of their religion and makes no attempt to learn. Traditional Wiccan's will often use it to describe Neo-Wiccans or anyone who thinks that they are Wiccan without having any idea what Wicca is. It can also be someone who thinks that Wicca is a grab bag of pick and choose... only listening to those parts that appeal and denying anything that might be uncomfortable or hard. Other uses for the term include those who have decided to call themselves Wiccan or Pagan simply because it "is cool" or aggravates/shocks their friends, family, and society at large.

I just wanted to clarify that "Fluffy Bunny" refers to ANYONE who is willfully ignorant. It really isn't related to the Wiccan/Neo-Wiccan thing. It has nothing to do with the eclectics (unless you're picking and choosing without thought), and it definitely doesn't refer those new to the religion(s) and still learning. It is merely someone who refuses to change their way of thinking despite the multitude of proof that they are wrong. smile  

Maxwell_Pink

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:59 pm
Maxwell_Pink
too2sweet

7/12/08 So based on some of the comments made, I came up here and read the opening post and decided that it was time to actually put in some valid definitions and also open it up to other paths. These definitions are courtesy of the Pagans on Gaia thread.

Fluffy Bunny
Feel free to embrace your fluff here. Generally, "Fluffy Bunny" is a derogatory term for anyone who claims to be Wiccan yet knows absolutely nothing of their religion and makes no attempt to learn. Traditional Wiccan's will often use it to describe Neo-Wiccans or anyone who thinks that they are Wiccan without having any idea what Wicca is. It can also be someone who thinks that Wicca is a grab bag of pick and choose... only listening to those parts that appeal and denying anything that might be uncomfortable or hard. Other uses for the term include those who have decided to call themselves Wiccan or Pagan simply because it "is cool" or aggravates/shocks their friends, family, and society at large.

I just wanted to clarify that "Fluffy Bunny" refers to ANYONE who is willfully ignorant. It really isn't related to the Wiccan/Neo-Wiccan thing. It has nothing to do with the eclectics (unless you're picking and choosing without thought), and it definitely doesn't refer those new to the religion(s) and still learning. It is merely someone who refuses to change their way of thinking despite the multitude of proof that they are wrong. smile

True, but I think Paganism in general tends to attract most of the Fluffy crowd since so many view it as the cool, new thing to do, and it can be perpetuated as "just do whatever you want! Make it up as you go!!" which is why I am Uninsured Speech added that into the description. And she also does state that it is someone who makes no attempt to better educate themselves on their beliefs.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:00 pm
Quote:
Thanks Sweet! Sorry if I over-ruffled anyone's feathers.

No ruffling at all. It was a complete oversight on my part. I never (even when I joined the guild and posted in the thread) read the OP. For whatever reason your comment prompted me to go look and I was suitably appalled. The correct info needed to be there, I feel bad that it wasn't fixed before this. biggrin  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Laura Lobotomy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:58 pm
deadly_siner
Im a Danic Wiccan
Dianics no longer consider themselves Wiccan.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:18 pm
Unfortunately a lot of books and websites haven't been updated with that little fact, and so the misconception lingers.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Maxwell_Pink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:59 pm
Beltain
deadly_siner
Im a Danic Wiccan
Dianics no longer consider themselves Wiccan.

If this is true there's a Dianic over at LiveJournal that needs to be informed of this. *laughs* She bit my head off when I tried to explain to her that one of the tenents of Wicca is that one honors both a God and a Goddess.

Anyway, my understanding (and trust me I haven't delved too deeply into this matter) is that there are two types of Dianic: One that honors the Goddess and, to a lesser extent, a God. Those are/were considered Wiccan.
The other (as in the aforementioned Dianic) were not. *shrugs*  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games