Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Witch. Do YOU find that word offensive? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

choose.
  Wiccan.
  Witch.
View Results

clandestine sheep

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:13 pm
Witch.... It all depends. If the person who says it drips venom when saying it, yeah, I would find it horribly offensive. Now, if it were me and my [Wiccan] friend talking, I'm sure I wouldn't mind.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:55 am
Neither would offend me, but it would be incorrect for one to call me Wiccan.  

Rowan MacGregor

Playgunny

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:03 am
I don't get offended by anything, so know, it doesn't offend me. I don't even get offended by being called a EDIT BY MODS: we ask that you please avoid using such language when posting - really there is no call for them as some members may be offended...thank you!!!  
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:32 pm
Louis XIII
I don't get offended by anything, so know, it doesn't offend me. I don't even get offended by being called a EDIT BY MODS: we ask that you please avoid using such language when posting - really there is no call for them as some members may be offended...thank you!!!

are you saying that being called a witch is that offensive? well, technically, many wiccans are witches.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

Playgunny

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:37 pm
xXx kitsy xXx
Louis XIII

are you saying that being called a witch is that offensive? well, technically, many wiccans are witches.

I'm saying I am not offended, as many rather nasty insults do not offend me, so witch is just... feh.  
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:42 pm
Louis XIII
xXx kitsy xXx
Louis XIII

I'm saying I am not offended, as many rather nasty insults do not offend me, so witch is just... feh.

but that means you're catagorizing "witch" as an insult, when a lot of the times it's what the person really is. a person who practices witchcraft, ei, spells, is a witch.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

DaleLuck1313

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:42 pm
I personally like being called a witch, even though I'm male. It makes it easier to explain to my friends what sort of "witch" I am, rather than explaining to them exactly what a "wiccan" is.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:52 pm
WOOTS FOR WITCHY FOLKS! pirate mrgreen blaugh  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Kyravine

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:35 am
I'm one of the folks who believes the terms "wiccan" and "witch" are not mutually exclusive. Since it was discussed earlier in the thread, I won't go into it here. razz

But no, I would find neither term offensive in all honesty. Calling me a Wiccan would simply be an incorrect statement. smile  
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:18 pm
'Witch' seems to have a very negative connotation to it. I prefer Wiccan. When someone calls someone a witch, it sounds like an accusation! sad  

moon child

15,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

xAlucardX777

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:43 pm
I actually prefer to be referred to as a Witch because I don't believe in just working one type of magick only, therefore I don't believe I can be labled as a wiccan because there are times when I will deviate from the rede.  
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:29 pm
xAlucardX777
I actually prefer to be referred to as a Witch because I don't believe in just working one type of magick only, therefore I don't believe I can be labled as a wiccan because there are times when I will deviate from the rede.

the rede says not to harm anyone.
hurting people is not something that's good to do.
so, in deviating from the rede you're deciding to hurt people?  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

Foxmore

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:52 pm
The rede says more than that. But even if that is what she meant, all circumstances are different and you don't know what she has done or why she had to do it. I don't follow the rede perfectly, nor does most of the Wiccan community.

I didn't mean to go off like that, but it really bugs me when people only consider the "harm none" stanza when talking about the rede rather than the poem in its entirety.  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:53 am
Foxmore
The rede says more than that. But even if that is what she meant, all circumstances are different and you don't know what she has done or why she had to do it. I don't follow the rede perfectly, nor does most of the Wiccan community.

I didn't mean to go off like that, but it really bugs me when people only consider the "harm none" stanza when talking about the rede rather than the poem in its entirety.

i know it's more, i'm just asking. but i wouldn't really consider not following the moon cycles and all that to be deviating, more like being eclectic.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:21 pm
But the Rede is actually only the "'an it harm none, do as ye will" part. The poem is something separate, that encorporates the Rede. The 2 links below give a good explaination of the differences.

Wiccan Rede
Wiccan Credo

While many people do follow the Rede, it is primarily something that is associated with Wiccans. Those who soley consider themselves Witches (and other pagans), are not subject to either the Rede or the Threefold Law (unless they so choose to be). While personally I would never intentionally do harm, others have their own ways of doing things. This doesn't necessarily mean that they go out of their way to hurt people, but they might not have any problem with cursing, hexing, etc... if the situation called for those actions. Whereas I might look for a different solution to the same problem.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games