Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
Silly Reading Habits~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Muffins or Cupcakes??
  Muffins! A-Duh...
  Cupcakes of course!
View Results

Lhia Dunwaith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:19 pm
DerringerMeryl87
I get really into the book.
Laugh out loud.
Cry.
Talk to the characters (I do this to my TV too).
And if I love the book enough to read it again, I laugh, cry, and talk in all the same places the second and third times through!

I'm also pretty bad about misreading a word and continuing to misread it for the next 3 or 4 times I read a book.
for example: In Harry Potter, I read it Hermoine. It just looked that way in my head until the 4th book when she tells Krum that it's Her-my-own-knee. I had to go back and look at the word again. and SUDDENLY it said Hermione!

That's interesting- I think a friend of mine reads that way, but I can't be certain. Whenever I come across a new word or name, I always stop reading, analyze the name, think up about ten different pronunciations, and then proceed with what sounds to me to be the best one.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:19 am
I quite often skip ahead. Say that I'm in the middle of the page, and then my eyes just skip to somewhere on the next page.

I also skip ahead several chapters, like when one of the main characters is about to die or something, I'll skip ahead to another part to see if he/she is still there.
It gets annoying sometimes.  

Darkm14

Darkm14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:22 am
oh, and sometimes i'll act out the book (i.e. make the same faces, repeat the sentence, be in the same pose,etc.)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:40 pm
Darkm14
I quite often skip ahead. Say that I'm in the middle of the page, and then my eyes just skip to somewhere on the next page.

I also skip ahead several chapters, like when one of the main characters is about to die or something, I'll skip ahead to another part to see if he/she is still there.
It gets annoying sometimes.

I do that to. I just want to know what happens so badly that I can't wait for the book to set it up and add suspense and everything.

Sometimes when I read, I plug my ears. I'm used to doing it a school and stuff where it's really loud, but it's stuck with me so somethimes I do it when it's quiet too.

Books make me cry. Often. Even when they're not really sad. I freaks people out.  

rizzyz

mangagirl14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:49 am
Very rerely must sometimes I cry while reading a book. I laugh a lot while reading and people give me strange looks.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:49 pm
I laugh, cry (a bit less) and give seemingly random outbursts of rage or increduility. I also enjoy reading with my legs up a wall. I also talk on the phone in that posistion often, also  

Lady Whispers

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:51 am
icechild21
I laugh, cry (a bit less) and give seemingly random outbursts of rage or increduility. I also enjoy reading with my legs up a wall. I also talk on the phone in that posistion often, also

i like to sleep with my upper half on the bed or sofa, my tummy on its brim, and my legs dangling on the floor.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:57 am
Ahh, I use to pile my vinders and textbooks in front of me back in my history class in 7th grade, and lay my book down flat to try and read it rather then pay attention to my teacher or take notes, still made good grades in that class.
In my science class in 7th grade I got caught reading a book rather then take notes, ended up with detention, I was not very happy.

Also got made fun of by some classmates because of the fact that back in Junior high I started a habit that ended before high school, where I would not only carry my vinders, and sometimes text book, but a stack of maybe four to three books to read around school, all different sizes, so sometimes one would fall on the floor, I remember looking rather stupid when I forgot my bag in one of classes that had my PE clothes, came walking toward the desk, one foot went out from under me and my books went flying onto the floor.

I also get rather ticked when I let one of my friends borrow my books, usually soft back and he returns them with the cover bents, pages bent sometimes, and once some sticky substance spilled on a page. I also hate it this summer on my way back from a Christian camp, because of the heat I was sweating, and I didn't read my book till my hands were dried off because I didn't want to get my book dirty, heck I even made two kids who wanted to read the two books I bought with me make sure they did not junk or anything that could dirty my books on their hands.

Syumerrt

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:39 am
User Image

As someone who usually damages her own books, I shouldn't be talking, but some of my books I do try to keep in good condition and are distressed to find that a friend has bent or damaged sad

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:16 am
I do a lot of stuff when I read. I'll skip ahead. So say I'm at the top of the page, and I'll start reading it, then I'll just suddenly skip down to the bottom of the page and I'll skim over what I read. Also, if I'm reading Harry Potter, I do the voices with the accent and everything in my head, and then I'll stop reading and I'll start talking to someone and I'll talk with the British accent. Um...quite often, I'll skip ahead a lot of chapters and that will ruin the book for me. I try not to do that, but I just do sometimes. Also, I bite my thumb when I really get into the book. And the last one that I can think of is I get emotional when I read books. So if something shocking happens in a book, then I'll yell out "WHAT!?!?!?" really loud or something of that nature, or if someone dies I'll (usually) cry. So I actually have a lot of annoying habits when I read.  

Jedi Knight26

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:36 pm
narikoxneji26
I do a lot of stuff when I read. I'll skip ahead. So say I'm at the top of the page, and I'll start reading it, then I'll just suddenly skip down to the bottom of the page and I'll skim over what I read.

User Image

Sometimes I do that too when it's such a good book and I can't wait to fin out what happens... or when I'm distracted xd

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:51 pm
Let's see..

I sometimes get caught up in my thoughts and have to reread a passage. Sometimes I have to reread it several times to make sure I absorb it. I usually read through pages pretty fast, but if I've been on the same page for 10 minutes, that's why.

If I feel something powerful, mindblowing, or exciting is about to happen, I skip to that passage (but I always go back to where I left off)...I try not to, but it's hard. xp

I've learned to auto-correct grammatical errors in my head instead of thinking "Wtf?"

If I get really into a book, and something extreme just happened, or just plain overwhelming, I need to take a break from reading. For some reason, things like that get me too adrenaline-jumpy to want to read. That happens a lot...

I have a habit of making sure the page I'm about to turn to is really the next page. I don't like accidentally skipping it. I also try not to look at the page number I'm on, for some odd reason..

It has to be quiet for me to read, otherwise I find it pretty difficult to concentrate. Though, I was always able to get lost in my books in class...strange.

-PinkTasmik-

Magnetic Explorer

7,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250

Jedi Knight26

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:13 pm
I'm one of those people who can read absolutely anywhere. It's weird, but I will read anywhere, and even if I only have like, 2 minutes to read, then I will.

I don't write in my books, unless it's for school, then I will. I don't fold my corners of my books either. I have this one bookmark that I found in a magazine about 5 years ago that I use whenever I read a book, and I really like it, so now it's all destroyed, but I still use it, because the others I have I like too much to use in case they get lost.

This is going to sound really dorky, but here goes: I can't stand it when a softcover book looks brand new. I like it when I read a softcover book, and the book gets creases in the spine, and cover turns white on the edges from being held and read so much, and all that sorts of stuf. I like it when I have a book and the cover or pages or spine rip, because it makes it look loved. That happens with my Harry Potter books because they've been read so often.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:25 pm
I don't read too fast because I won't be able to remember what happened in the book. I pretend that if I concentrate really well, the words in the pages will be burned to my memory forever.  

Ping of Death

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Infinity Outlaw

Shadowy Rogue

12,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:33 pm
I always end up in incredible strange positions when I read for a while. I'll start out sitting normally on a chair, for example, and end up stuffed in the corner in something resembling a crazy yoga pose. I find it oddly comfy and it unconsciously happens when I get involved in a book. It gets me quite the odd look when I'm reading in public though.  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff