Elistists
  Middle-ground
  Is this s**t still going on?
View Results

ShadowLotus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:10 am
Oh gawd...teh gangsterness!! *TWITCHTWITCHCEZURECHOKEDIE* rofl

@ Rellik San:
Hehehe I just had a thought of how funny it would be if I got laid off a job and was really mad (which really doesn't happen but IF) I went in to my last day of work completely Gothed out......that sounds fun xD

xStephanx
Ashitaka-Mononokes_Love

By elitist, I mean that I am not a babybat. And, I am extremely against those who claim to be a big part of the sub-culture, yet fail to understand the basic nature of the ideal. If there is, as was said before, a babybat who had no idea what he/she was doing, and that was his/her only crime to his/her claim, then that is fine. What bugs me is the "Mansonites" who claim "goth" and yet, have never even heard of "The Cure," "Bauhaus," Siouxie and the Banshees," or "Joy Division." In other words, the goth "Big Four." Before I Was goth, I had listened to two of these bands and loved them. Then as I progressed into the "scene" and got farther and deeper in, I found the others. And I have found many amazing goth bands... All of which put most mainstream music to shame. And it thoroughly angers me, when people claim to be something that not only are they not in compliance with thier claims, but they have no knowledge, thereof. Thank you...

-Wyntre

I'm put you more into the middle ground if you're not harsh on the n00bs then.

Really? I thought his explanation was very elitist in that he's very knowledgeable and all that. I thought elitist doesn't necessarily mean they're rude toward everyone who's new or anything Oo;; They're just a very distinct class of their own, ne? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

@ Blackrose Kaire:
I truly don't blame you at all. In the right mood I would've snapped and started something too (though I feel you didn't start it...). I do not like that sort of negativity toward others either. (I know your post wasn't aimed toward me I just wanted to let you know I feel the situation was completely understandable)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:10 am
xStephanx
Hey Sinister Kung Fu,

Now as I said, you're claiming to be the oldest and most experienced person here. Make good on that and keep these flame wars to PM or something.

How are you going to try and blame this on me? I'm not the one who started flaming people. I was participating in the discussion at hand, and made what is in my opinion a very valid point. A point, I may add, which the person I was initially addressing has completely avoided responding to.  

Sinister Kung Fu

Sinister Kung Fu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:13 am
Blackrose Kaire
Look Sinister Kun Fu,
all I'm trying to say is that you could have gotten your point across to Shadowlotus without being a jerk and going on about how you've "Been into goth music longer than anyone in this guild" and how you "Know more about goth rock than she ever will" THAT is what made you look elitist.

Again, that wasn't me being elitist, that was me stating a fact. I've been listening to it longer than most of the people here have even been alive. How are you going to try and construe that as elitism. I wasn't saying I was better than anyone else, I was trying to prove a point in the argument I was responding to.

Blackrose Kaire

The SAME WAY I could have tried to get get my point across to you without making an a** of myself and being a jerk towards you,and I'm willing to admit I was wrong in how I acted and that I didn't do things the right way,and I'm also willing to apolgize.

I agree with the fact you shouldn't have to dress and act a certain way to be seen as goth,I simply did not agree with the way you acted.

I'm not trying to initiate another argument with you,and ruin xStephanx's thread anymore than I already have,I'm simply trying to calmly explain my reason instead of just throwing around pointless insults with you this time,but I get the feeling your not the type to be reasoned with..
Now I am sorry for the way I acted towards you,so let's just let things be.

It's cool. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:57 am
Sinister Kung Fu
xStephanx
Hey Sinister Kung Fu,

Now as I said, you're claiming to be the oldest and most experienced person here. Make good on that and keep these flame wars to PM or something.

How are you going to try and blame this on me? I'm not the one who started flaming people. I was participating in the discussion at hand, and made what is in my opinion a very valid point. A point, I may add, which the person I was initially addressing has completely avoided responding to.

And I agree with your point, people don't have to wear a uniform to listen to Goth rock, death rock, EBM or any other associated genre.

Its just the execution that bothered me. You two went at it hardcore. However, I do accept you've both said it was OTT, and I respect that, so I guess that's that.  

xStephanx

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:23 pm
I dress kinda goth, and have the goth state of mind, but I don't actually listen to goth music. I listen to punk, classic rock, a little pop, and showtunes. I love showtunes!

So I don't actually call myself goth. Just weird.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:42 pm
People are so proud of their labels, sa.  

Rowan Birch

ShadowLotus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:08 pm
Freedom Fire
I dress kinda goth, and have the goth state of mind, but I don't actually listen to goth music. I listen to punk, classic rock, a little pop, and showtunes. I love showtunes!

So I don't actually call myself goth. Just weird.

That's still classified as Goth I say. I think state of mind is the most important. I'm not saying call yourself Goth or anything I'm just agreeing with you O-O;;.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:44 am
This has slowly but gradually turned into another Labels Thread.  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

ShadowLotus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:03 am
spooky_sez

Yeah they do that pretty easily don't they?
But wouldn't you say Goth itself is a label? It doesn't bother me lol.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:44 am
ShadowLotus
spooky_sez

Yeah they do that pretty easily don't they?
But wouldn't you say Goth itself is a label? It doesn't bother me lol.

Sure it is. But I don't care either. Proud Goth here.  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:45 am
spooky_sez

It's almost unavoidable.

At least it hasn't exploded into a flame war of-

"Goth is a state of mind!"
"That's bullshit spread by people who aren't goth but want to be. Goth is about the music."
"That's bullshit spread by people who don't have the state of mind, so they defend themselves with a music genre."
"Now you're just trying to cover your a**."

Et' cetera.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:42 pm
GilAskan
spooky_sez

It's almost unavoidable.

"That's bullshit spread by people who aren't goth but want to be. Goth is about the music."
"That's bullshit spread by people who don't have the state of mind, so they defend themselves with a music genre."

Et' cetera.

I was tempted to ask what exactly is this state of mind, but I decided against it.  

xStephanx

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:05 pm
xStephanx
GilAskan
spooky_sez

It's almost unavoidable.

Et' cetera.

I was tempted to ask what exactly is this state of mind, but I decided against it.

*Shouldershrug* I don't agree with the notion of a state of mind. In my opinion, that almost makes it seem like goths are universal in thought - a collective.
But as Gil has said, there can sometimes be a lot of conflict for those who are strongly for one side or another, so recently I've been much less aggressive with my opinion on the matter.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:16 pm
I can't even say what my opinion is of it because this the first I've even heard of it.

At times like these, we must the Perky Goth Manifesto. There's a mentality I understand. smile  

xStephanx

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:22 pm
xStephanx
I can't even say what my opinion is of it because this the first I've even heard of it.

At times like these, we must the Perky Goth Manifesto. There's a mentality I understand. smile

That webpage was cute blaugh

Well, from what I hear, the supposed goth mentality is to be dark in thought, to be artistic or creative, to be rejective of societal norms, and/or to have fine tastes. I may very well be wrong, though.
The reason why I disagree with it is because - while these traits are common - these traits are not universal amongst goths.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff