Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Spirit Guides/ Totems Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have any totems?
  Yesh
  No
  I don't know
  I don't belive in totems
View Results

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:45 am
Excelsior, if I remember my comparative Latin adjectives, simply means "higher".

Compare:
Excelsus, "high"
Excelsior, "higher"
Excelsissimus, "highest".

Ever is "unquam" but I think always is implied here and would be a better word, so "semper excelsior".

3nodding

Plant totems are interesting though. Why don't you start a thread on them?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:53 am
ah..thanks -facepalm-

well, i dunno. i'd have to look up what the white lotus meant...it's been stuck in my head for a good while.  

-MysticCherri-

Fuzzy Lunatic

Lady Keigh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:22 am
Well, certain plants and flowers have different meanings in different cultures. I guess it just depends on what culture you can relate to the most, then look up what the plant's meanings and properties are. For example, you say you've been thinking about a white lotus. If I'm correct, white lotuses are native to Asia and is used in tea to induce feelings of tranquility and calmness. Also, they signify peace and serenity. (I could be wrong, I researched this a while back.)  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:20 am
Sanguina Cruenta

Could be. I don't really know anything about wolves in confinement vs wild.
Here it is!  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Lady Keigh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:55 am
Last night, I decided to meditate and try to talk to my spirit guides.. And it worked! My guides are amazing! One's name is Nicholas, and he's an all black wolf with beautiful green eyes. Another is Analisa, and she's a blue monarch butterfly. My other guide is a garden spider who wanted me to call her Madame. When we finished, I was so excited! blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:17 pm
I have plant totems. Mostly the thorny trees: buckthorn, hawthorn, blackthorn.
I have some close relationships with others, though - Cedar and I get on very well, as well as white pine.

I'd have more plant allies if I wasn't allergic to so many things, I think.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:18 pm
Rose Singato
Last night, I decided to meditate and try to talk to my spirit guides.. And it worked! My guides are amazing! One's name is Nicholas, and he's an all black wolf with beautiful green eyes. Another is Analisa, and she's a blue monarch butterfly. My other guide is a garden spider who wanted me to call her Madame. When we finished, I was so excited! blaugh

Any reason they're not 'standard' animals, do you think?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:19 pm
Morgandria
I have plant totems. Mostly the thorny trees: buckthorn, hawthorn, blackthorn.
I have some close relationships with others, though - Cedar and I get on very well, as well as white pine.

I'd have more plant allies if I wasn't allergic to so many things, I think.

I think I have only heard of one other person like that. It's really cool to find out they aren't alone!  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Lady Keigh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:21 pm
Morgandria
Rose Singato

Any reason they're not 'standard' animals, do you think?

I really don't know. It's just what I saw.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:41 pm
I didn't know monarchs came in blue.

Plant totems... I don't really know for totems. I know what I like and what I get along with. Pohutukawa and Weeping willow feature.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:11 pm
When I meditate, I see it as a gust of wind. And it has helped me.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:24 pm
I have no idea if I have one, or two. Or more.

The only animals I dream about is the dog of my parents and my two cats.

I feel close to a few animals. But that might be because they are just my favorite animals?

I don't know how to figure out what your totem is either.  

pompoennetje

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:52 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

Plant totems... I don't really know for totems. I know what I like and what I get along with. Pohutukawa and Weeping willow feature.

That's it. Monarch butterflies are not blue, ever. Down your way there's a white variation in the species, but not blue. Which is why I asked if there was a reason her animal guides all had funky colouring. Occasionally spirits appear 'different', and there's usually a reason for it - but it also often means that they weren't ever real living animals on the physical plane. There's also a chance they could be personal energy constructs, for whatever reason.

Of course, it could be a blue butterfly that she hasn't properly identified for species. Wolves can be black and have green eyes, but green eyes are fairly rare unless we're talking arctic wolves. (I'd be even more curious if she'd said blue, since blue eyes don't occur naturally with wolves, and means they're a wolf-dog hybrid.)

I just find it weird since my guides are all normal colours for their species. But they're not my guides. Que sera sera.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:01 pm
Dianda Panda
I have no idea if I have one, or two. Or more.

The only animals I dream about is the dog of my parents and my two cats.

I feel close to a few animals. But that might be because they are just my favorite animals?

I don't know how to figure out what your totem is either.

Totems are typically based on family or clans, where they occur. One doesn't get to choose a 'totem'; you pretty much get what you get. Totems are the archetypal spirits of a particular living thing: they are the sum of all that is for those creatures. You can sometimes make acquaintance with totems and work with them, if they desire, but others will want nothing to do with you, and be very clear about that.

Spirit guides (or helpers, or allies) are typically individual spirits of one kind or another. They might be a once-living animal, a person, a particular tree you know, an extinct species - there's lots of possibilities here. I don't think everyone 'has' a spirit guide, really, any more than I think everyone has a patron deity, but it's possible to meet helpful spirits as you go, and make friends and allies.

It's a lot easier to meet a spirit guide than it is a totem. Spirit guides can usually be sought through simple Middle-world journeying, or through guided meditation, in a way that allows them to appear to you of their own free will. Totems may or may not answer any sort of appeal you put to them for their attention - they're much larger in scope than a single spirit, and frankly sort of view us as 'small'.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Lady Keigh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:29 pm
Morgandria
Sanguina Cruenta

That's it. Monarch butterflies are not blue, ever. Down your way there's a white variation in the species, but not blue. Which is why I asked if there was a reason her animal guides all had funky colouring. Occasionally spirits appear 'different', and there's usually a reason for it - but it also often means that they weren't ever real living animals on the physical plane. There's also a chance they could be personal energy constructs, for whatever reason.

Of course, it could be a blue butterfly that she hasn't properly identified for species. Wolves can be black and have green eyes, but green eyes are fairly rare unless we're talking arctic wolves. (I'd be even more curious if she'd said blue, since blue eyes don't occur naturally with wolves, and means they're a wolf-dog hybrid.)

I just find it weird since my guides are all normal colours for their species. But they're not my guides. Que sera sera.

UPDATE: I was wrong in identifying the butterfly species, ; It wasn't a monarch, but a blue morpho butterfly (I hope I spelled it right) Sorry for the confusion! (I do a lot of research , I typed that as soon as it happened and didn't look further into it)  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games