Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Your Wiccan/Pagan Path...and How Did You Know? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Share:
  yes!!!
  no :-(
View Results

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:43 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff
It sounds more like a family tradition of witchcraft, really. Not Wicca.
Family traditions are pretty interesting though! How many generations of your family have practiced?

It's a common mix up in figuring Wicca = Witchcraft. They're not the same, as Wicca is a faith and witchcraft is a practice; a craft that can be learned by anyone willing to put forth the time and effort.

Thank you, I learned something new.
Its been in my family for about thirty years now or so I am told it has been.

biggrin It's always fun to learn new things.
IIRC (and someone can correct me if I am incorrect), "Wicca" was the label used on anything that was remotely related to witchcraft. Ergo, family traditions of witchcraft were labeled "Wicca" incorrectly, eclectic neo-pagan witchcraft paths were incorrectly labeld as "Wicca" as well.

Are you going to pass it on to your children? What kind of criteria does your family use in deciding who to teach the craft to? Or do they teach it to everyone in your family?

Oh I see. Jeeze I wish I knew what to correctly label my family then. I feel really dumb now ><
Yes I would like to pass it one but only the teachings, I don't think they should be forced to learn. Thats not right by anymeans.
My family teaches everyone but when we are eighteen we are aloud to make the decision on our own, I decided to go down this path. Though not everyone in my family has.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:58 pm
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff
Family traditions are pretty interesting though! How many generations of your family have practiced?

It's a common mix up in figuring Wicca = Witchcraft. They're not the same, as Wicca is a faith and witchcraft is a practice; a craft that can be learned by anyone willing to put forth the time and effort.

IIRC (and someone can correct me if I am incorrect), "Wicca" was the label used on anything that was remotely related to witchcraft. Ergo, family traditions of witchcraft were labeled "Wicca" incorrectly, eclectic neo-pagan witchcraft paths were incorrectly labeld as "Wicca" as well.

Are you going to pass it on to your children? What kind of criteria does your family use in deciding who to teach the craft to? Or do they teach it to everyone in your family?

Oh I see. Jeeze I wish I knew what to correctly label my family then. I feel really dumb now ><
Yes I would like to pass it one but only the teachings, I don't think they should be forced to learn. Thats not right by anymeans.
My family teaches everyone but when we are eighteen we are aloud to make the decision on our own, I decided to go down this path. Though not everyone in my family has.

Don't feel dumb! There's a crap-ton of misinformation out there on what Wicca is and isn't.

Ah ^_^ Sounds like a good plan!

It's nice that your fam teaches everyone and lets them decide if they want to keep on with it.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:05 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff

Don't feel dumb! There's a crap-ton of misinformation out there on what Wicca is and isn't.

Ah ^_^ Sounds like a good plan!

It's nice that your fam teaches everyone and lets them decide if they want to keep on with it.

Yes I have seen and heard alot of rubbish about wicca.
I wish their wasn't stuff like that though.
I suppose its nice but not everyone gets that niceness from their families ><
And I suppose that its a good plan, I would at least like my child and or children to understand.

I just feel horrable about making Morgandria mad at me.
I never ment to cause any harm.
But thank you, you have been sweet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:08 pm
iHecate
And I suppose that its a good plan, I would at least like my child and or children to understand.

Same; it can be frustrating to learn that everything you thought you knew about Wicca was a lie. And then you have to un-learn the crap and learn the correct information.

I don't think you made Morg mad. Rather, I think she was more so concerned at the implications of child molestation and/or incest in your claim to being Wiccan. Since Wicca is a fertility-based faith, there are sexual themes and actions involved in the rituals, so there would definitely be some eyebrow-raising things going on if your family did practice Wicca and tried to pass it on within the family.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:09 pm
iHecate

Not angry at all. Just...concerned. It's always good to get things sorted. smile I'm a tad snappy sometimes, so if I've come off harsh I apologize.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:19 pm
Morgandria
iHecate

Not angry at all. Just...concerned. It's always good to get things sorted. smile I'm a tad snappy sometimes, so if I've come off harsh I apologize.

Oh goodness.
I am so relieved I thought you were mad at me ><
And no no, I do understand that notion of concern, I really didn't fully explain myself in the first place, when I should have.
Bah everyone is a bit snappy now and then C:

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:21 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate

Same; it can be frustrating to learn that everything you thought you knew about Wicca was a lie. And then you have to un-learn the crap and learn the correct information.

I don't think you made Morg mad. Rather, I think she was more so concerned at the implications of child molestation and/or incest in your claim to being Wiccan. Since Wicca is a fertility-based faith, there are sexual themes and actions involved in the rituals, so there would definitely be some eyebrow-raising things going on if your family did practice Wicca and tried to pass it on within the family.

Goodness, I always thought that wasn't literally done.. sex magic.
I was always taught that was all to safe todo in any case.
I should take to my grandmother some more.
We never really talk about what are specific religion is... gah, now I wish i knew more about paganism.
I guess its time todo more looking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:28 pm
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate

We never really talk about what are specific religion is... gah, now I wish i knew more about paganism.

Well, not just sex magic. In Wicca the degree initiations involve sexual contact of one sort or another. I know for first degree initiation, the initiate kisses the genitals of his HPS/her HP. Third degree involves full on intercourse. I mean, it'd be odd to practice a fertility-based faith without sexual themes and such!
I'm not a proper Wiccan, so I can't speak with certainty...but I would think it generally is safe. However, incest and child molestation is highly frowned upon. Understandably so.

Well, Paganism is simply an umbrella term that covers any non-Abrahamic faith. There is no single Pagan religion. For example, I'm Pagan; specifically I am an Asatruar. I am not Wiccan. I am not a witch. But I am still Pagan. Make sense?

*comfort-cuddle*  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:35 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate

Well, not just sex magic. In Wicca the degree initiations involve sexual contact of one sort or another. I know for first degree initiation, the initiate kisses the genitals of his HPS/her HP. Third degree involves full on intercourse. I mean, it'd be odd to practice a fertility-based faith without sexual themes and such!
I'm not a proper Wiccan, so I can't speak with certainty...but I would think it generally is safe. However, incest and child molestation is highly frowned upon. Understandably so.

Well, Paganism is simply an umbrella term that covers any non-Abrahamic faith. There is no single Pagan religion. For example, I'm Pagan; specifically I am an Asatruar. I am not Wiccan. I am not a witch. But I am still Pagan. Make sense?

*comfort-cuddle*

Oh I see, hahah this is alot to take in but I understand. I guess my family isn't a wiccan, actually I am kinda happy we arn't.
That sounds a little scary to me. And Asatruar...that sounds familiar...thats a germanic neo..paganism... I think.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Hmm I suppose I need to find whats right for me, at least my family is fine with that >.<

[ accepts cuddle ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:41 pm
iHecate
Oh I see, hahah this is alot to take in but I understand. I guess my family isn't a wiccan, actually I am kinda happy we arn't.
That sounds a little scary to me. And Asatruar...that sounds familiar...thats a germanic neo..paganism... I think.
Hmm I suppose I need to find whats right for me, at least my family is fine with that >.<

[ accepts cuddle ]

There is a Wiccan FAQ on Gaia in the Morality & Religion subforum that you might find helpful ^_^.
-nodnod- Wicca certainly isn't for everybody. Every initiate is a priest or priestess of the Lord and Lady of the Isles (the gods of Wicca). And priesthood is a pretty serious calling. You have to make sure that it's what you're called to do, that you can handle it.

Yuh! Asatru is a Neo-pagan faith. It works to reconstruct the pre-Christian beliefs and practices of Northern Europe. It's good times.

Well it's been established so far (from what you've told here) that your family has a tradition of witchcraft. So it makes you at the very least, a witch. You practice a family tradition of witchcraft 3nodding .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:47 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate

[ accepts cuddle ]

There is a Wiccan FAQ on Gaia in the Morality & Religion subforum that you might find helpful ^_^.
-nodnod- Wicca certainly isn't for everybody. Every initiate is a priest or priestess of the Lord and Lady of the Isles (the gods of Wicca). And priesthood is a pretty serious calling. You have to make sure that it's what you're called to do, that you can handle it.

Yuh! Asatru is a Neo-pagan faith. It works to reconstruct the pre-Christian beliefs and practices of Northern Europe. It's good times.

Well it's been established so far (from what you've told here) that your family has a tradition of witchcraft. So it makes you at the very least, a witch. You practice a family tradition of witchcraft 3nodding .

Aye. I know that at the very least.
And yay! I got something right hahah.
I am still not sure where as a person I stand I know I feel connected to witchcraft just not sure where I spersonally am.
Oh well I do suppose that is what time is for.
I may explore the celtic and slavic roots of myself.

And whell thank you, this is an interesting link.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:54 pm
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate

[ accepts cuddle ]

I am still not sure where as a person I stand I know I feel connected to witchcraft just not sure where I spersonally am.

Indeed! It's always good to read more (provided that what you're reading is a decent source and not utter shite) and flesh out what you believe and practice. See, that's what I think is great about eclectic paths; so long as you are treating things with respect and can make them hang together in a cohesive, sensible manner, a path can be built. And I don't feel like people really understand how hard and challenging it can be to piece together a properly functioning eclectic faith! I mean, I know I'd never have the organisation skills to make my own eclectic path.

Oooh, Slavic sounds interesting biggrin

I think I'm going to hop off for the night; I hope to see you around soon!!  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:02 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate
Violet Song jat Shariff
iHecate

[ accepts cuddle ]

Indeed! It's always good to read more (provided that what you're reading is a decent source and not utter shite) and flesh out what you believe and practice. See, that's what I think is great about eclectic paths; so long as you are treating things with respect and can make them hang together in a cohesive, sensible manner, a path can be built. And I don't feel like people really understand how hard and challenging it can be to piece together a properly functioning eclectic faith! I mean, I know I'd never have the organisation skills to make my own eclectic path.

Oooh, Slavic sounds interesting biggrin

I think I'm going to hop off for the night; I hope to see you around soon!!

See I've always looked at eclecticism, but thats because I find it to fully connect with one path or another because I love lovely aspects from one sect to another. So it a bit hard for me.
Hmm yes I know, I only use reliable resources for my research and undertsandings.
Yes haha, I've looked into Celtic and I enjoy it but I only enjoy aspects.

[ sits down with a pill of books ]

Eclectism, here I come. sigh. My path is going to be awhile coming XDBecause then again, I love the pagan traditions and ways of life, but the Celt's are so in touch with nature.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:25 pm
*points at Hecate's sig*
It's still not...well, not really plausible.
Leaving aside the issues with the Celts, you're still not Wiccan. You have not been initiated. You do not know the oath-bound materials. You have not done the work to earn the title. You have not experienced the Mysteries of Wicca. Ergo, to call yourself Wiccan is misleading, and you misrepresent yourself. To be most accurate, you are an eclectic-leaning witch.

Are you perhaps under the assumption that Wiccan and witch are interchangeable? I am afraid they are not. A Wiccan is someone who practices Wicca. A witch is someone who practices witchcraft. All Wiccans are witches, but not all witches are Wiccan. I would say a majority of witches are not Wiccan, really.

And, Wicca is an orthopraxy. Meaning it is based on correct practice, not correct belief (orthodoxy). So in order to properly be called Wiccan, one must be practicing in the correct manner. If one is not practicing in the correct manner, one is not practicing Wicca. In order to learn the correct ritual structure of Wicca and to experience the Mysteries, one must be initiated into legitimate coven that can trace its initiatory lineage back to Gerald Gardner. Because Wicca is orthopraxic and based on practicing in the correct way, it can not be eclectic or else it loses what makes it Wicca.

Wicca has specific deities; the Lord and Lady of the Isles. Their true names are oath-bound and only available to initiates. One can not transpose any two deities they want into the Lord and Lady position.

The bulk of Wicca is the Mysteries. These are experienced via the correct ritual structure (which is oath-bound). One can not read books and learn the Mysteries that way.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:31 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
*points at Hecate's sig*
It's still not...well, not really plausible.
Leaving aside the issues with the Celts, you're still not Wiccan. You have not been initiated. You do not know the oath-bound materials. You have not done the work to earn the title. You have not experienced the Mysteries of Wicca. Ergo, to call yourself Wiccan is misleading, and you misrepresent yourself. To be most accurate, you are an eclectic-leaning witch.

Are you perhaps under the assumption that Wiccan and witch are interchangeable? I am afraid they are not. A Wiccan is someone who practices Wicca. A witch is someone who practices witchcraft. All Wiccans are witches, but not all witches are Wiccan. I would say a majority of witches are not Wiccan, really.

And, Wicca is an orthopraxy. Meaning it is based on correct practice, not correct belief (orthodoxy). So in order to properly be called Wiccan, one must be practicing in the correct manner. If one is not practicing in the correct manner, one is not practicing Wicca. In order to learn the correct ritual structure of Wicca and to experience the Mysteries, one must be initiated into legitimate coven that can trace its initiatory lineage back to Gerald Gardner.

Wicca has specific deities; the Lord and Lady of the Isles. Their true names are oath-bound and only available to initiates. One can not transpose any two deities they want into the Lord and Lady position.

The bulk of Wicca is the Mysteries. These are experienced via the correct ritual structure (which is oath-bound). One can not read books and learn the Mysteries that way.

Then how do you go about saying you enjoy parts of wiccan and celtic paganism.
I thought I had that right at least.
Well I learned another thing at least, so thats good.
And I didn't think they we interchangable, that would be a little odd because they arn't the same thing.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games