Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Multimedia
Nightmare Before Christmas,,,,Goth or just cool? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NBC goth?
  Yes
  No
  Depends
View Results

Nockz the Dark Cellist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:48 pm
It's overrated at this stage. Sorry but I see people who simply adore it for the simple reason that it is NBC. I watched it and to be honest I didnt love it, I thought his portrayal of a Halloween land was pretty cool but since when is gothic about 'dressing up'?

I preferred Corpse Bride, that had a slightly more melanchollic goth feel about it  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:17 pm
My option is really mixed about this one because part of me feels really annoyed how other people assume that we like it just because we are goth and it's on all the merchandise. The other part of me grew up with the movie and loved it in both Kingdom Hearts game's, so its a tough dissection.  

Sodamu

What-I-am-Is-ME

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:08 pm
Personally I just love the movie ever since I was little and even before I was even considered "gothic"! Its just one of those movies that you find yourself humming the songs while doing math homework, it does get annoying after awhile because alot of the people that like the movie are said to be following a fad. Its so stupid, because most of us actually saw it when we were very little. and its only being considered gothic since HotTopic decided it was a good idea to start selling merchandise.

In my opinion Tim Burton rocks, he does have certain elements in his movies that protray a gothic genre. Like Beetlejuice! Its just an awesome movie (tis all I can say) I love his movies because they're fun and I like them all, and even my sister (who is the EXACT opposite of me) she wears pink, dresses girly, and perfers a romance movie over a horror flick. But she loves all his movies too! Heck we went to go see Corpse Bride and I was the only goth in the theatre, so it doesn't even matter if its considered goth or not. Its all about the movie.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:52 pm
In honesty, I thought it was a horrible movie, its up there as one of the worst and overrated movies I've seen.  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

Lord Charlemain Richards

Thirteenth Lover

12,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:29 pm
Veruniel
Total non-sequitur: I've just learned that Marylin Manson did a cover of "This is Halloween."
As did Panic! At the Disco.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:56 am
I would have to say that before it had gotten popular it was goth.But now everyone is into it so now its just cool.You have to remember this is a somewhat old movie...  

XxAshlahxX

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:45 pm
Slightly goth, but I wouldn't walk around saying it.

Since when did everything with a graveyard in it have to be called goth?
---
Random question.

Has anyone else seen Casablanca? (Waaaayyyyyy before Goth as a subculture came into being, but I just wondered....)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:36 am
XWraith_LordX
---
Random question.

Has anyone else seen Casablanca? (Waaaayyyyyy before Goth as a subculture came into being, but I just wondered....)

Good film. A lot of goth aesthetics, you know, were influenced by early horror. German expressionism is an obvious influence, but also the classics from Universal Horror, as well as more progressive, post-Universal horror moving into the 1940's and 1950's. Film noir (more in line with Casablanca, though, not explicitly) was also a visual inspiration.  

GilAskan
Crew

Mechanical Death

Witty Lunatic

16,325 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Winged 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:54 am
I'd say the style of it has a sort of whimsical gothic feel, but I wouldn't call it 'goth' persay.
It's been adopted by the culture, and it's not really something that the same people who enjoy chickflicks on a regular basis would enjoy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:56 am
XxLil_Devil_SilencexX
I would have to say that before it had gotten popular it was goth.But now everyone is into it so now its just cool.You have to remember this is a somewhat old movie...

just because something is popular doesn't mean it's not goth or goth related...

black clothing is popular. you can find it in any store.
It's still goth...  

Mechanical Death

Witty Lunatic

16,325 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Winged 100
  • Prayer Circle 200

Mrs. Pink Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:30 pm
I can't believe there is a debate over if this movie is goth.

Great movie, but it's Halloween/Christmas themed, not goth.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:00 pm
NBC may capture some gothic elements but to me its not goth.  

L Kook

Vampire Fantasy Goddess

4,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:47 am
It's good but its highly over rated  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:53 pm
Mrs. Pink Eyes
I can't believe there is a debate over if this movie is goth.

Great movie, but it's Halloween/Christmas themed, not goth.

AEtherclaw

vincejustvince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:20 pm
Corpse Bride is better.  
Multimedia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items