Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The Loss of Literacy in Modern America Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you blame for the lack of literacy?
  Television
  Computers
  Peer validation (If its alright for them to do it, its alright for me to do it!
  Laziness
  Bad genetics
View Results

i_heart_ron

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:52 pm
DarkElf27
Thank goodness. I've run into far too many people that see your age, and immediately compare you to the rest of your generation.

Now back on topic, It's ironic that everyone is blaming illiteracy on the internet, and that is the very grounds in which we are discussing it. People like us are why I think the internet is not what causes this; on the contrary, it increases typing skills, spelling in general, and allows for meeting others with the same principles.

I partly agree with this claim; it all depends on the reception you receive. Some people learn that they will be taken more seriously and earn respect if they express themselves well, but many people completely fail to pick up on this, either because no one bothers to tell them so, or because they receive positive feedback that is not deserved.

My sister is a high school teacher at a very prestegious and exclusive New England "academy," and told me that her students very often turn in essays for class composed entirely in IM-lingo!

Also, the more time I spend here and, to some extent, on IMDB, the more impressed I am with younger posters...I lot of times I am absolutely shocked when people reveal that they are in high school or junior high, because they express themselves in such a way that I had assumed they were at least in college. It's kind of an awful judgement to make, and I won't deny being guilty of it on more than one occasion.

Would it really be a terrible thing if a few less people fancied themselves poets, artists, etc....(was that a horrid thing to say? inside thought!)  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:41 pm
Are We Dead Yet
Or maybe people are just too ******** lazy to type out full words, and marvel at the ingenius short forms that 12-year-old children invented?
Maybe they just don't value time.
Who cares?
What matters is that at least SOME of us can spell.

...Have you not yet realized that there are at least three or four literate twelve-year-olds in this guild, myself included?
It really ticks me off when people call netspeak "11-year-old-IMer-ese" and crap like that. If you take the time to look, you'll notice that it's usually teenagers that use netspeak[I'm not saying that ALL teens use netspeak, I'm just pointing out that it's usually them that think saying "omg lol ur so dum" makes them sound cool. Most of the younger kids just can't spell very well yet].

Next time you should do some freaking research before you stereotype.

[[I've had a guy think that I was 25 once. <_< And when I told him I was twelve, he was all "Omfg if ur lying u can go strayt 2 hel!11one111four!1111"]]

-M- Mellolicious

Asthmaboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:37 pm
I don't blame laziness.
If people were too lazy to type out a single word, they wouldn't try to learn how to type quickly in their 'language'.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:31 pm
DarkElf27
I'd point out, however, that after a book-based movie is made, a fair number of people go get the book to read, and compare for themselves. So in a way, the book-based movies help a fair bit.
Not true... atleast where I live. No one appreciates the Lord of the Rings series and they all say things like, "Why read the book when all you REALLY have to do is pop a DVD into the DVD player or pay 5 bucks for a movie and popcorn?!"  

~prize_in_the_box~

TeccaN9nja

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:16 am
I voted Computers, but I more blame Cell Phones. The texting came about and then the txt spk came with it. Cause they needed to speak faster and shorter when using a phone. Now while i blame Cell Phones for it in a certain way, I do see the use for it on that platform. Outside of it, like here, I don't see a point to it. Here if you use good grammar you are helping yourself type better and that can be used really well in many a job situation. Where txt'ng doesnt help anyone that is not on their Cell Phone.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:37 pm
I think that the internet, peer validation, television, and lower standards in schools have all combined to create a whole lot of laziness in America. And laziness leads to lower literacy.

I also think that movies based on books are a big contributer. People think that if they see the movie they don't need to read the book.  

Emerald_Jasmine

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:18 pm
My father always tells me, "Anybody can be intelligent, literate, and witty as long as they TRY."

If you study as much as you need to, if you work hard, if you pay attention during class, if you read and write constantly in a grammatically correct manner, then you are playing your part in modern-day America. Therefore, I believe literacy can be gained for a) determination to be successful b) the given desire to write/read profusely. If every kid in America at least TRIED to raise their literacy level a few units of percentage, I'm sure my tolerance for "txt talk" would decrease dramatically, and my desire to chat with others online would increase dramatically. *worships this guild*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:28 pm
Sexy lil Soc
Are We Dead Yet
Or maybe people are just too ******** lazy to type out full words, and marvel at the ingenius short forms that 12-year-old children invented?
Maybe they just don't value time.
Who cares?
What matters is that at least SOME of us can spell.

...Have you not yet realized that there are at least three or four literate twelve-year-olds in this guild, myself included?
It really ticks me off when people call netspeak "11-year-old-IMer-ese" and crap like that. If you take the time to look, you'll notice that it's usually teenagers that use netspeak[I'm not saying that ALL teens use netspeak, I'm just pointing out that it's usually them that think saying "omg lol ur so dum" makes them sound cool. Most of the younger kids just can't spell very well yet].

Next time you should do some freaking research before you stereotype.

[[I've had a guy think that I was 25 once. <_< And when I told him I was twelve, he was all "Omfg if ur lying u can go strayt 2 hel!11one111four!1111"]]

I know that feeling. stare I hate being pushed out of ED threads, disrespected, mocked, made a fool of, rediculed, and INSULTED because of my age! I am thirteen damn years old. Am I supposed to be watching chick flicks and reality shows and doing my nails and braiding my girlfriends' hair? Yeah. I actually am. But I chose to debate, to write, to read non-fiction and fiction, and to be literate for the rest of my natural born life. And anyone who can't respect me, who can't accept me, who can't adore this lovely little Peacian, can go ******** their moms. 4laugh  

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

[River]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:54 pm
Well...I'm 11, but I see people twice my age lost in illiteracy! It drives me crazy, the fact that the people in my generation are using 'txt tlk' and failing to write out even the simplest of words. Honestly, I don't even think that text messages on phones are all that hot. They're expensive, and it's just plain easier to, you know, TALK!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:29 pm
winding_river123
Well...I'm 11, but I see people twice my age lost in illiteracy! It drives me crazy, the fact that the people in my generation are using 'txt tlk' and failing to write out even the simplest of words. Honestly, I don't even think that text messages on phones are all that hot. They're expensive, and it's just plain easier to, you know, TALK!

I agree. Text messaging, or IMing, is for the damned computer! Cell phones were made so you could TALK without being at someone's HOME PHONE. *groans and rubs her temples* I can't stand how hard it is to "type" on a cell phone. It takes so long to write a literate sentence, so I was using code. *sighs in shame* But I do agree. It's faster and so much more goddamn CHEAPER to just TALK LIKE NORMAL HUMAN BEINGS. [/rant]  

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:51 am
I guess I'm in the minority in that I prefer text messaging to talking on my phone. I hardly ever talk on my cell phone. I use it much more for text messaging or IMing on the go from AIM on my phone. I do however, type out my words, though it takes longer on the keypad.

What I'd like would be to have keyboards available that could be hooked up via the phone's data port.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:25 pm
Quote:
What has prompted the loss of literacy in modern America? Is it the mass media, laziness, stupidity?

Media can't be the reason. It doesn't impare ones train of thought, or at least I would hope. Stupidity is most certainly not it. Stupidity is just the lack of knowledge. If one is deprived of learning to English language, it is not their fault. However, if they know the English language and have been taught it from birth -as many of us have- there is no excuse but pure laziness. The point of learning propper grammar and spelling is so the greater population can unnderstand one another, not so ignorance of others' can make up their own deformed language. Pure laziness.

.Never.Forever.

.Never.Forever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:45 pm
Even though no one is currently here, I'm going to post this anyway.

Age does a lot of damage to a person. I'm only 14 years old and people will think I'm 28 years old, but as soon as they find out how old I really am, I am called ignorant, arrogant, or waaayyy too smart. The third is extremely rare. Though you do see many teens using netspeak, I've seen worse. I talk to my friend's father online occasionally. Yes, his father; don't laugh, he's a good person. It is a terrible sight to watch him write "I dnt noe wht ur tlkn bout." Vowels were made for a reason, the least you could do is use them. So when someone tells you that you're a liar and are too young to know absolutely anything because of your age, blow them off. They don't deserve to know you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:05 pm
Haha. I am quite lazy myself. I however, still type correctly.  

Zealot of Insanity

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:07 pm
+[Lemons]+
Even though no one is currently here, I'm going to post this anyway.

Age does a lot of damage to a person. I'm only 14 years old and people will think I'm 28 years old, but as soon as they find out how old I really am, I am called ignorant, arrogant, or waaayyy too smart. The third is extremely rare. Though you do see many teens using netspeak, I've seen worse. I talk to my friend's father online occasionally. Yes, his father; don't laugh, he's a good person. It is a terrible sight to watch him write "I dnt noe wht ur tlkn bout." Vowels were made for a reason, the least you could do is use them. So when someone tells you that you're a liar and are too young to know absolutely anything because of your age, blow them off. They don't deserve to know you.
I am 14 myself. And yes, it is quite disturbing to see an adult type with the lack of vowels.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff